Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

Just now, Wazzamaniac said:

WOOOOOW now thats a huge nerf

Yeah. Not sure what's going on, but they did a Turtle vs Quetz race too. 

Turtle won. 

Though to be honest, as it was Chinese, I only have these numbers and ideas on a kind of third hand experience, as I didn't understand a word they were saying, and only a friends word to say it was what it was. 

But it did have the new UI, so I take some credibility on it. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, iAmE said:

Yeah. Not sure what's going on, but they did a Turtle vs Quetz race too. 

Turtle won. 

Though to be honest, as it was Chinese, I only have these numbers and ideas on a kind of third hand experience, as I didn't understand a word they were saying, and only a friends word to say it was what it was. 

But it did have the new UI, so I take some credibility on it. 

I mean.... This company has a history of nerfing things to make them unplayable instead of buffing other things (when did they ever buff things?), so I wouldn't doubt it.

Having flyers go slower, sure. Slower than a TURTLE? Overkill. Though the wyvern was running on the ground, right? That can't be it's flight speed xD

4 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

I mean.... This company has a history of nerfing things to make them unplayable instead of buffing other things (when did they ever buff things?), so I wouldn't doubt it.

Having flyers go slower, sure. Slower than a TURTLE? Overkill. Though the wyvern was running on the ground, right? That can't be it's flight speed xD

The Bronto beat the Wyvern. The wyvern was faster then the Turtle. But no, it was flight speed. 

10 hours ago, Juancho310 said:

Clarifications and distinctions need to be made on what "everything" means with context and gameplay in mind when referring to Flyers. To elaborate on the Therizinosaurus, it is a utility dinosaur and functions as a gatherer. A Quetzal is a giant flyer that functions as a transporter. The Quetzal is a transportation dinosaur, an does not gather in it self. It is his transportation ability that makes the Quetzal a formidable dinosaur. Paired with another dinosaur, the mutual gathering ability is facilitated and thus able to gather aka" Farm" with great efficiency. 

If you think a particular Flyer is a "1 creature" army because it can be used for anything, then why not introduce a different giant flyer that can be used to fill in a current Role that the Quetzal is being used for that the "Devs" did not intend it to be used for.

Well, a bit of speed and HP nerf on Quetzal wouldnt hurt much. But devs have to finally nail the exploit of it being able to carry more weight than limit allows when paired with gathering dinos. To be fair, drag weight of a dino + weight of their inventories should fully affect Quetzal instead of just partially (thanks to a "mercy fix" from devs).

1 minute ago, DarthaNyan said:

Needs a prooflink, also they might have just tested "worse case" scenarios to adapt quicker to possible changes.

Not sure if he's going to stream it again, but I'll PM you his Stream. I'll admit that it was strange outright, but he had the new UI skins and everything looking spick and span, so I believe it was a real thing. Though I will say it's chinese, so I didn't understand a word of it. 

On 29.3.2017 at 7:54 PM, Jat said:

I believe TRH's purpose is to work with our gameplay guys to make sure creatures have roles in the game and you're not just using 1 creature for everything.

Its not one for everything Jat. Its 3. Quetz, Anky and Pteras. Everything else is just obsolete right now and/or makes life easier. Thats what has become out of the many lovely dinos you released. Overload. I hope you give these (land)dinos a real role again.

Thank you for finally tackling that op flyer problem. My tribe was talking abt going to a no flyer server. Its just not motivating anymore to build anything with the easy clusterbombing in the game.

..I add another dino to the 3: Purlovias: Makes bases obsolete. ;))

On 3/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, sal said:

it needs to go away, thats not what the bird was intented to do. It should be a low level scout and an entry level bird. Right now an end-game bird only rivaled by the quetz and the quetz can only rival it because of the platform saddle ...

No, they shouldn't. It's a slap in the face to players who spent hundreds of hours breeding only for WC to nerf them incredibly. Removing the grab for example will render the ptera useless, just like removing the platform saddle off a Quetz. In my opinion a Quetz should just have a health debuff and call it a day. Removing saddles, very IMPORTANT saddles, will just make them useless and no point in taming. I don't even think a wyvern should be nerfed, a 20k health wyvern can be destroyed in seconds by some pteradons, if anything they need a buff, only thing they have going for them is their ability to use lighting,fire or poison and fly.

1.Nerf Quetz health and have it carry way more weight from dinos on the platform than what it does.

2.Nerf Pteradon movement speed and high melee from breeding 

3.Nerf wyvern speed but buff health

No other flyers need nerfs, like the pelagornis or Argys, if anything they need buffs. A lot of us should be prepared for the worst on this update lol.

Just now, drieman3 said:

Some land dinos could use a boost as wel like the mammoth orrhino i rly like the rhino  mechanics but never see anyone use it plz buff rhino

tbh they could just let the rhino destroy corpses and it would be fine. My rhinos can oneshot brontos on full charge, have massive weight carry, go very fast but always get stuck in the body of whatever they killed

I do rly think this nerf wil be good for the game quetzals are just about impsible to kill when riden i mean 100% imprint a good sadle 45kp and 200 movement speed is just to mutch same whit pteras we get ours up to 200 speed 6khp and 1k dmg and this is on official. Atm the only pvp going on is flyers and bronto/paracestium pushes. Maybe a few rexes/allos to kill enemy brontos(since gigas don't do dmg when high ping).

2 minutes ago, drieman3 said:

I do rly think this nerf wil be good for the game quetzals are just about impsible to kill when riden i mean 100% imprint a good sadle 45kp and 200 movement speed is just to mutch same whit pteras we get ours up to 200 speed 6khp and 1k dmg and this is on official. Atm the only pvp going on is flyers and bronto/paracestium pushes. Maybe a few rexes/allos to kill enemy brontos(since gigas don't do dmg when high ping).

So instead of just nerfing hp on them you think making them slower than a turtle solves the problem? It makes them useless

i have to agree, if this is 80% speed loss is real, all flyers would just become parasaurs, nobody would still travel with anything but a rex, giga or spino and the open world concept would be gone....

to all those who ask if you've ever tried with a caravan: YES I HAVE. as a level 45 player i needed metal so took 3 trikes and a couple of raptors as defense and went on my way.

GUESS WHAT.... they all got killed by 1 alpha raptor about 5 mins away from my base on the west-coast. As long as you have to go trough alphas, allo packs, rexes and giga's, you need either a bird or a rex/giga/spino. now they take away the bird???? what's left to play on?

Pteranodon: leave barrel roll alone reduce weight it can carry and remove its picking ability. Argentavis: increase damage out put by 50% making it the war bird it was supposed to be. Quetz: I don't see an issue with. further weight nerfing of the quetz will just result in the already established alphas being stronger as no one would be able to catch up to there already built bases without using the whole tribe to farm metal all day. Tapejara: stamina nerf is needed and while hanging on walls they should have a minor stamina drain while being ridden by more than 1 person due to the weight. wyverns are already severely disadvantaged in the maneuverability department. stam drain is high for breath weapons. don't see an issue with this. just my thoughts if you don't agree that's fine.

2 hours ago, Griffin1984 said:

GUESS WHAT.... they all got killed by 1 alpha raptor about 5 mins away from my base on the west-coast. As long as you have to go trough alphas, allo packs, rexes and giga's, you need either a bird or a rex/giga/spino. now they take away the bird???? what's left to play on?

Tunnel Visioning that birds are the only option keeps you away from seeing other ways and dinos. Thats exactly what devs are trying to fix.

Hint: bears. Great weight limit, speed and damage and they are compact.

On 03/28/2017 at 3:49 PM, OnePotatoChip said:

PvE is half the reason this nerf is needed. I don't know if you've read the reddit post, but TheRightHand says in no uncertain terms that the whole of the team felt as if flyers just trivialize about 80% of content on PvE because you can flutter above the danger. This isn't a farming simulator; danger should be ever present, and that's something that flyers remove almost entirely. 

I mean, is it any wonder why a lot of Youtubers get bored with ARK so often? It's because, once you've tamed a Ptera, it's all downhill from there. You're practically invulnerable to the point where the most dangerous thing is your own mistakes. Both PvE and PvP posses their own symptoms of the same root disease: flyers. 

If danger should be ever present maybe they should make all bases spawn points for therozinos trodons and allosaurs... I still wake up in a cold sweat reliving the many times allos not only breached my 3 high seamless walls but spawned inside my structures. Leading me to put my base in a spot thats only reachable by flier... I still have a few teeth left to kick in too so lets just nerf all saddles and armor to primitive stats or maybe even Introduce minus bonus armor... You can look like a power ranger and if a herbivore even breathes on you you catch fire and have prompts for stop drop and roll.

Archived