Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

From other games I have played in the past I can say server wipes make a small, but vocal, player base happy. The drawback is the playerbase that remains silent, and in the majority, are the ones that it actually ends up hurting. You will not get rid of Alpha Tribes/Players with a server wipe. If those player bases continue, they will once again power game and a wipe may actually make them even stronger.

Keeping servers is a good option. It will allow players who have invested, what at this point is a considerable amount of time, to continue on. It also allows new players the opportunity to get established. Something a few other games have done in the past is, when a new player (New ID) joins the game for the first time they are sent to a newer server automatically, or given new server options to choose from. Here they can play the game with other newer players without having to worry about Alphas. Yes, the system can be gamed by Alphas creating new accounts, but there are no systems that can keep them out. 

Alpha players will always exists. Just as players that love to play games like Ark, just to ruin it for other players will always exist. They have existed on every online game like this and likely will always exist. The best thing to do is let Alphas be the Alpha on their server while giving new players a place to play and build and experience the game with other players like them.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Madsrant said:

From other games I have played in the past I can say server wipes make a small, but vocal, player base happy. The drawback is the playerbase that remains silent, and in the majority, are the ones that it actually ends up hurting. You will not get rid of Alpha Tribes/Players with a server wipe. If those player bases continue, they will once again power game and a wipe may actually make them even stronger.

Keeping servers is a good option. It will allow players who have invested, what at this point is a considerable amount of time, to continue on. It also allows new players the opportunity to get established. Something a few other games have done in the past is, when a new player (New ID) joins the game for the first time they are sent to a newer server automatically, or given new server options to choose from. Here they can play the game with other newer players without having to worry about Alphas. Yes, the system can be gamed by Alphas creating new accounts, but there are no systems that can keep them out. 

Alpha players will always exists. Just as players that love to play games like Ark, just to ruin it for other players will always exist. They have existed on every online game like this and likely will always exist. The best thing to do is let Alphas be the Alpha on their server while giving new players a place to play and build and experience the game with other players like them.

I wish I had the chance to not have a life lol and I am serious. If I had my way I would play ark all day everyday. And I would be getting rid of all the alphas.

I've been playing Ark for over a year now and i've really loved it.  I started out on a player dedicated XBOX server that my brother and I created, and then after we decommissioned it I moved to an official PVP Island server on XBOX for reference.  We started the dedicated server due to the massive amount of folks on every single official server out there, which kept us from really being able to play together at the same time.  The dedicated server started out with a bang, and before we knew it we needed to stop letting people join the server in order to keep lag to a minimum.  After 3-4 months though the population finally diminished to the point where we had maybe 2-5 people on at any time.  It just wasn't worth having anymore so we took it down.  I've been on an official Island server ever since and it's been a fun challenge for basically just a single player in PVP.  Now fast forward to today.  PVP has gotten to the point where it's very difficult for new folks to actually come in and play the game.  Gone are the days where someone can just join a server and try and survive a harsh dino-infested environment. They now have to deal with hyper-paranoid or just malicious Alpha tribes who have a huge start on them and refuse to let them do anything.  Don't even get me started on PVE. My mom, sister, and brother-in-law play PVE and the lag there is just awe-full.  Not to mention all the pillaring that happens absolutely everywhere.  I went over to help them get their first Quetzal the other day, and we were in shock that it landed in a place where we could place spiked walls to protect it!  I transferred over to the center for them to try and find a high end Quetzal and would you know I couldn't even add a trapping build to the Quetzal I transferred over there because it seems the server is at it's dino plattform build limit?  I didn't even know that was a thing until I had a base of operation actually built, so that's a good 4-5 hours wasted.  Iv'e decided to go back to a player dedicated server again and see if it's gotten any better.  After 9-10 months of normal official settings it's really hard to find a player dedicated server that doesn't have all the settings through the roof.  What I wouldn't give for a good dedicated server with moderate settings on the Center so I can try something new without it being too easy.  I'm not even sure something like that exists and I'm just not interested at this point to do it myself.  I'm just a bit discouraged and might be coming to an end with this game that I've loved/hated, mostly loved.  I don't know what the future holds, but right now it's looking pretty grim..

I like how people keep posting rubbish "you guys want a wipe to get rid of alphas" no. I'm alpha n want a wipe. To get rid of any glitched or duped imbalances that is currently in ark. A fresh start for all. The alphas will still be the alphas, good players will be good trolls will still be trolls. 

Its just a fresh start to an awesome game. People may not change. Some alphas might not reach it, some might, it's not about that. Its about all the Joe bobs that will be level one watching as one bored person from a distant server they never heard of or seen, comes n wipes not them, but all the primitive buildings on the server.

Make new servers, lock the ones existing now and no wipe will be needed. But if you allow current players and tribes to have access to servers with new players, they will quit in droves. Reviews will get sour, money won't flow to wildcard as fast/much so that will in the end hurt us with less dlcs, or more expensive dlcs. And ark will have alot of bonus stuff post release.

Wipe, no wipe. Its whatever. It is out of our hands. But if no wipe n current players can use current items for new players, there WILL be problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 20, 2017 at 8:52 AM, johnm said:

Instead of wiping servers, the devs should spread some love towards small tribes and solo guys.

There should be a path for a new tribe, solo guy to get established on the current server.

Right now they will forever be hobos chasing dodos on the beach even if they get to level 100.

Very sad but very true. Who knows they might come up with something. Fingers still crossed for the wipe though. Don't worry it will happen

• 2 months later...

server wipe on pve server after Ive played legit and established large base , high level dinos and mutations playing day in day out for months after assuming my time invested in this game was worth while because 1. I enjoy it 2. the ceo officially said . no launch day server wipes. I cant understand why they would have allowed the game to be corrupted by illegitimate cheating players but any game exploit will always be exploited . ark allowed this to happen . and furthermore the most important underlying issue here is not to wipe or not but trust. if there is a wipe then I simply refuse to believe most of what this game developer says to its customers and thus I for one will walk away from the game and never come back to any title release from this company. if they say one thing and then do another then they are as bad as the dupers and deserve to have there jobs wiped.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, icycold2367 said:

Whats the purpose of the wipe then? Big tribes get wiped for the handful of smaller tribes they wiped? 50 people will always outwork 5. Hell my old tribe was a 50 man and we could grind out 100k metal in 1/2 a day just by numbers. All that does is punish big tribes as i stated above for playing this game. If you dont like competition thats stacked against you play political. Why not purposely not become huge so you dont appear as a threat.

The problem is big tribes make the game boring. It's all too easy for players to band together in these big groups. There is no disadvantages to it only advantages.

Currently in ARK you have these two giant alliances BLDX (which I'm part of) and Cobra. BLDX isn't a tribe in itself but a collection of about 20 alpha tribes and CG is basically a giant Chinese tribe of 500 or more players. These two mega alliances control about 100+ official servers currently. That is 100 Official servers in which there is basically no real PVP going on.

Neither of these two alliances will ever go to war because A) There is no incentive for either to do so B) The risks outweigh the rewards. Both of these alliances have giant stockpiles of stuff, there is nothing they can get from fighting that they don't already both have be it blueprints, eggs or otherwise. The end result of this is a lot of Official PVP servers more resemble some PVE server then a proper PVP server because everyone one there is allied up and the server itself is allied up and so on and on.

For the good of the game this needs to change. If the devs have to have some monthly competition to encourage these big groups to fight each other then so be it, but something needs to happen to liven up the game. If it comes down to it I would even back a WOW type thing where you'd have set factions that are permanently at war with certain other factions. 

Archived