ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

Would you make tamed oviraptors collect tribe eggs and some kind of bug dino that collects pop? If so, Could it be possible to make the range of this mechanics or it's benefit increase with stats?

Will be there some kind rare resources, a prime kind of berries and spoiled berries?

Are Ankylos getting the same recollecting behavior as doedicurus? And if so, will they be capable of atacking if being carried like castoroides?

I got another one Will be there a deployment option to move tons of resources from a dino to vaults?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24 January 2017 at 5:21 AM, Sideswipe said:

Dumb question: Will we ever see a change in how we can store Wyvern milk? It's a little frustrating I can't put it in the fridge. 

I feel you man. More than twice I have had a baby wyvern. And I lost them all because I couldn't store all the wyvern milk. The milk would either expire before I got back to my base from the world scar, or expire if I kept it safe in a box just in case I got another wyvern.

Are there any plans to further the usefulness of dinos?  Right now, they seem to fall into 2 categories: A harvesting and transport mount, or a combat mount.  Aside from that, it feels like they're "just there".  I really feel like some huge potential has been overlooked.  Dinos like the troodon are starting to fix this, but it still feels like opportunities have been missed.  Things like mills where dinos can be hooked up to run the mill and process resources or a dodo-powered generator for electricity... who wouldn't want that?  It basically feels like the whole tech tree, from lvl 1 to lvl 100 is there to get you away from dinos, rather than embrace them.  The only real reason I have to use them is to get resources faster or not die killing something else/kill it faster, and dinos like the Therizinosaurus make almost all other dinos completely useless.  Only some of the newest dinos have uses outside of harvesting/transport and combat.

14 minutes ago, Zurar said:

Are there any plans to further the usefulness of dinos?  Right now, they seem to fall into 2 categories: A harvesting and transport mount, or a combat mount.  Aside from that, it feels like they're "just there".  I really feel like some huge potential has been overlooked.  Dinos like the troodon are starting to fix this, but it still feels like opportunities have been missed.  Things like mills where dinos can be hooked up to run the mill and process resources or a dodo-powered generator for electricity... who wouldn't want that?  It basically feels like the whole tech tree, from lvl 1 to lvl 100 is there to get you away from dinos, rather than embrace them.  The only real reason I have to use them is to get resources faster or not die killing something else/kill it faster, and dinos like the Therizinosaurus make almost all other dinos completely useless.

What about the pegomastax, you can steal stuff with it. And the Megalosaurus and Kapro can grab stuff and bring them to your base or something. And the diplocaulus, which is a living oxygen tank. Or the Morellatops, which can supply you water. SO NO! THEY ARE USEFUL!

12 hours ago, Dodorius said:

What about the pegomastax, you can steal stuff with it. And the Megalosaurus and Kapro can grab stuff and bring them to your base or something. And the diplocaulus, which is a living oxygen tank. Or the Morellatops, which can supply you water. SO NO! THEY ARE USEFUL!

They are, but the items you can create are MORE useful, which is the point I was trying to make.

The Megalosaurus and Kaprosuchus are a step in the right direction, as far as carnivores go, but are still not much different from birds aside from being able to go into caves or hold things after dismount.

The diplocaulus?  Why would I waste time taming it when I can just make Lazarus Chowder or a scuba tank and ride a dolphin to avoid everything else in the oceans?  I have yet to see one not surrounded by predators and easily tameable before I have access to something much easier to use and obtain.

Morellatops is only part of Scortched earth, so if you're not playing an SE map, they're not even worth mentioning; and while a neat idea, they're not much different than filling up a few water jars and throwing them on your mount.

Pegomastax is an example I didn't include, and does add some interest in taming it, but only in PVP. It is utterly useless in a PVE server.  Hell, on PVE, they're nothing more than a lost quickbar slot and an annoyance, as you can easily counter them by simply keeping a few berries in the last slot on your bar.

You also forgot the Archaeopteryx, but again... why would I use one of these in place of a parachute?  At least with the parachute I can do other things while it's deployed... This could easily be made more useful by making chutes completely unsteerable while the Archa maintains the ability to determine where you land, like a parafoil (maybe improve it's maneuverability a little more) and free up my hands (at least one at a time) while holding it so I can look at my map or through a scope, quick.  Also, sit on the shoulders while not falling...

The dung beetle is probably the most useful as it converts poop to fertilizer much more efficiently, while also creating oil.

Snails are also useful, but mostly just for getting those last few paste or poly that you're short on.  Unless you have a whole ton of them, it's more efficient to raid beaver dams and/or kill penguins (depending on what you need), which returns you to the issue of transport and combat dinos.

Basically, you get to a certain point in the game and many dinos become useless; many are even useless from the start.  I'm just trying to drum up ideas for other uses for dinos that have little-to-no point, after early game, like the Dodo and the Parasaur.  Heck, even combat dinos get outdone by the late-game weapons, if you can produce enough ammo for them (though tek tier looks to be trying to rectify this).

There are so many great ideas in the dinos with special features... but so many of them fall flat on their face because items you can make are so much better or the feature is incredibly easy to counter.  I'm eager (and curious) to see what they might have in store for the original dino overhauls, as some of the newer dinos have some great features starting to show up.

I'd also like to see buildings that actually utilize dino power to operate, and a dino-powered grinding mill was the first thing that came to mind; which would be perfect for making things like spark powder or cement paste; instead of, and/or more efficiently than, the mortar and pestle.  It also makes the dinos you keep at your base useful for things other than just standing around, laying eggs, and pooping.

TLDR; Stop polluting the ark with gasoline and exhaust fumes!  Go green with dino power, instead! =P

When we eventually get the option to tame Titanoboas, could we get the option for them to constrict creatures and immobilize them, like a bola that doesn't break until either killed or told to let go?  Maybe effective on a few more dinos than the regular bola is and including a stealth movement for sneaking up on that tricky-to-bola Tapajera before you get a ghillie suit?  I know the dossier says they don't constrict their prey, but it doesn't say they can't, either... not to mention dossiers have differed greatly from the actual implementation, in several instances.  I truly feel this would make it far more useful, once tameable, than it will be, which is basically just an egg producer for kibble.

• In your new update-video I saw that the tech replicator had only 500 slots, but I've got a Mosa platform saddle BP that requires 555 - could you increase it to 1000 (maybe higher, because who knows if there's an even more expensive BP)?

• It was also mentioned that we can't fight the bosses with tek-stuff, but could you make this please a server-option?

• Will we see some more skins for our tames? My Therizino named Slash misses a top hat. ;)

On 27 January 2017 at 8:13 PM, Zurar said:

They are, but the items you can create are MORE useful, which is the point I was trying to make.

The Megalosaurus and Kaprosuchus are a step in the right direction, as far as carnivores go, but are still not much different from birds aside from being able to go into caves or hold things after dismount.

The diplocaulus?  Why would I waste time taming it when I can just make Lazarus Chowder or a scuba tank and ride a dolphin to avoid everything else in the oceans?  I have yet to see one not surrounded by predators and easily tameable before I have access to something much easier to use and obtain.

Morellatops is only part of Scortched earth, so if you're not playing an SE map, they're not even worth mentioning; and while a neat idea, they're not much different than filling up a few water jars and throwing them on your mount.

Pegomastax is an example I didn't include, and does add some interest in taming it, but only in PVP. It is utterly useless in a PVE server.  Hell, on PVE, they're nothing more than a lost quickbar slot and an annoyance, as you can easily counter them by simply keeping a few berries in the last slot on your bar.

You also forgot the Archaeopteryx, but again... why would I use one of these in place of a parachute?  At least with the parachute I can do other things while it's deployed... This could easily be made more useful by making chutes completely unsteerable while the Archa maintains the ability to determine where you land, like a parafoil (maybe improve it's maneuverability a little more) and free up my hands (at least one at a time) while holding it so I can look at my map or through a scope, quick.  Also, sit on the shoulders while not falling...

The dung beetle is probably the most useful as it converts poop to fertilizer much more efficiently, while also creating oil.

Snails are also useful, but mostly just for getting those last few paste or poly that you're short on.  Unless you have a whole ton of them, it's more efficient to raid beaver dams and/or kill penguins (depending on what you need), which returns you to the issue of transport and combat dinos.

Basically, you get to a certain point in the game and many dinos become useless; many are even useless from the start.  I'm just trying to drum up ideas for other uses for dinos that have little-to-no point, after early game, like the Dodo and the Parasaur.  Heck, even combat dinos get outdone by the late-game weapons, if you can produce enough ammo for them (though tek tier looks to be trying to rectify this).

There are so many great ideas in the dinos with special features... but so many of them fall flat on their face because items you can make are so much better or the feature is incredibly easy to counter.  I'm eager (and curious) to see what they might have in store for the original dino overhauls, as some of the newer dinos have some great features starting to show up.

I'd also like to see buildings that actually utilize dino power to operate, and a dino-powered grinding mill was the first thing that came to mind; which would be perfect for making things like spark powder or cement paste; instead of, and/or more efficiently than, the mortar and pestle.  It also makes the dinos you keep at your base useful for things other than just standing around, laying eggs, and pooping.

TLDR; Stop polluting the ark with gasoline and exhaust fumes!  Go green with dino power, instead! =P

Yeah, suppose you're right. Wait, imagine if they added a plough for dinos, would be useful for #DINOPOWER. 

BTW, you copied my titanoboa thing, and gave me no credit. SHAME ON YOU!!

(LOL jk its fine.)

In fact, I have an idea. Maybe parasaurs have a call that can notify your dinos from a very far distance it/you are getting attacked. And they come running after the thing that attacked you. And the devs are adding herds, and I know another good idea. Maybe theres a lookout in the herd of parasaurs for predators, and you're parasaur can be the lookout. But parasaur lookouts always call when theres predators, tamed or wild. But you can change options for your parasaur to call for none. That way, you could get a giga and run towards the herd, without a warning. Boom, the parasaur has got you alotta meat.

And Flyers have a pick up attack option, so when you whistle attack, the bird picks up the thing you want to attack and brings it to you.

And the dodo is the most dangerous animal ever(no not actually)

instead the dodo can be thrown at people at the dodo distracts them by flapping all over their face and biting.

And dino powered buildings are a great idea. We could have a compy/small dino on a treadmill powering stuff. And a rope attached to a large dino that powers a wheel to make a mill. And a dino grinder? Amazing.

18 hours ago, Dodorius said:

BTW, you copied my titanoboa thing, and gave me no credit. SHAME ON YOU!!

(LOL jk its fine.)

I actually posted that off the top of my head... but it's not exactly an original idea, since that's pretty much what snakes do; I just modified the idea of constricting to fit the game's uses. So I apologize if it seems like I took the idea from you, that was neither the case, nor the intent.  I'm sure several others have also suggested it, without even considering how much it's likely requested.

Whats up with the "normal" Primtive mode? Not the Prim+, but the normal Primitive, is it a forgotten mode and should people that play it look to switch to prim+?

With the coming Tek Tier Fabricator that has 500 Slots Tech Players will finalle be able to craft most of the valuable Blueprints, but we on primitive are still stuck with 250 Slots on a Beaver and of course the weight limitation.

Just now, nicenicenicelaaa said:

With the coming Tek Tier Fabricator that has 500 Slots Tech Players will finalle be able to craft most of the valuable Blueprints, but we on primitive are still stuck with 250 Slots on a Beaver and of course the weight limitation.

The "Tek Tier Fabricator" still wouldn't solve the problem cause I personally own saddle bps that require around 1k slot to craft them or even more.... that's kinda retarded if that's the way how they want to solve this issue imo

Just now, Presator said:

The "Tek Tier Fabricator" still wouldn't solve the problem cause I personally own saddle bps that require around 1k slot to craft them or even more.... that's kinda retarded if that's the way how they want to solve this issue imo

Yes, of course there are a few blueprints where 500 or even 1k slots wouldnt be enough, mosasaur saddle blueprints come to mind! 

I was thinking maybe a "greater smithy" or some way to connect smithies to storage boxes would be awesome!

54 minutes ago, nicenicenicelaaa said:

Yes, of course there are a few blueprints where 500 or even 1k slots wouldnt be enough, mosasaur saddle blueprints come to mind! 

I was thinking maybe a "greater smithy" or some way to connect smithies to storage boxes would be awesome!

Imo they going to create some kind of stack mod 

19 hours ago, Zurar said:

I actually posted that off the top of my head... but it's not exactly an original idea, since that's pretty much what snakes do; I just modified the idea of constricting to fit the game's uses. So I apologize if it seems like I took the idea from you, that was neither the case, nor the intent.  I'm sure several others have also suggested it, without even considering how much it's likely requested.

Ah, ok. But its very similar to mine, with the constrict idea. Anyway I am going to follow you.

I was wondering if there would ever be a slider bar for local/dedicated servers that scales the amount of element recourse you get for killing a boss. I own a Private server and everyone on my server wants to make it so we don't have to spend hours grinding just to kill and "easy" level broodmother. This could also apply to the "TekGrams" system. Also would be nice if there were a setting to disable fog. Love this game and it keeps getting better. And thank you SO much for balancing the tek tier as you did, though an option to make it easier to obtain on local server would be nice!

On 30 January 2017 at 1:40 PM, Presator said:

Yeah, you're right. Maybe the Tek Replicator should have over 1k slots, and maybe they can make stacks a lot bigger in crafting stations, maybe 1000 for metal and stuff.

BTW you may need to get rid of the rude word you posted. They may ban you.

Archived