Mistakes New Players Make

2TonStreama

17 minutes ago, 2TonStreama said:

Trying to compile a list of the biggest mistakes that brand new players make in the game, or maybe things you wish you knew about when you first started playing.

Going in-land before having a house with a simple bed was my worst mistake. Countless hours wasted trying to find my way back home after getting rekt.

Along with taming too early, add taming too late. Great to build a taming raft and grab a dodo and a mammoth early on. When I first started I avoided taming for a long time. Literally farmed stone from beaches by hand for hours at a time. Don't tame before you can protect dinos, but as soon as you can keep them safe, tame away.

Not reading what all berries do and eating the wrong sort knocking yourself out while all ready dehydrated by a fresh body of water within dragging distance of your body. 

Not closing your door even on a pve server because they are safe right?.....

Joining a random tribe you know nothing about. 

Leaving your home without being prepared or even paying attention to where you are going. 

Random placing of buildings which locks out tree growth and rock reformation. 

I've been able to sneak right up to new players and catch them off guard. You really have to watch and listen all the time. Literally if you're not in your house then you're not safe lol. And as a new player make sure you don't initiate fights in PvP until you level up a lot more. You never know what kind of friends and back up another survivor might have. 

I've seen this happen in my server a lot and it's very annoying, not really a big "mistake", but something new players shouldn't really do because it doesn't make them look good. 

1. Asking for free stuff. (I don't mind giving people free stuff, I actually give random people that are near my base free hide stuff and metal tools sometimes just to make their ARK life easier. But I give them because I want to not because someone keeps asking me to do it which is just annoying me and makes me NOT want to give that person stuff.)

2. Asking/Begging to join BIG tribes. (Like what? Do you expect a big tribe to let you join on your first day? When no one even knows you? You could be a random troll that's going to destroy everything in a few hours/days or when no one is online to stop you.. )

3. People who constantly ask "silly" questions instead of actually trying to find the answers themselves. (Like why ask what kind of kibble a dino prefers? There's this beautiful place called http://ark.gamepedia.com/ where you can find anything you need. Never heard of http://ark.gamepedia.com/? No problem, go on google and type what you need. Google is your friend, it knows that kind of stuff. Like I would get asking important questions or opinions from players like "What dino do you think gets more berries?", now I don't mind those kind of questions, but it's really annoying to see how some people just expect answers from everyone just like that. And they don't ask just once, no.. They keep asking over and over again even if no one answers. Look it up yourself, find out yourself, it's a survival game. Where's the raptor if people give you everything you need?)

4. New people leaving random structures all over the place. (It might be just me, but I find it very annoying to see random thatch bases or random foundations on the beach or anywhere else actually that are even broken into or never used and probably blocking supply drops or other resources.)

I don't know if I'm the only weird person around here that's bothered about these little things, but oh well, felt like putting this here too :P

58 minutes ago, Carvaka said:

Haha! I had Terry the trike #1, then #2, then #3... I don't name my dinos anymore.

Sounds like the names of my force tame pets I got unstuck on Herbivore Island so I could harvest the wood. I got a bunch of force tame pets there on roaming.  Don't need saddles. You just hit E when you get close to them and you are then in control. When you dismount, they continue roaming.

Terry 3 ended up teleported to the edge of the world when I use his attack to unstick him from a tree stump on the beach. The sharks got us before we got halfway back to shore.

Archived