So I play solo and I live on the footpaw, and i am level 62-63. Im too scared to move inland, and all three of my flyers just died as i was looking for an argie. I have an ankylo, a bronto, a carno, a diplo, three parasaurs, a useless dilo, a phiomia, a lystro, three raptors, a trike, a stego,  and two turtles. Any tips?

Edited by RandomSurivor

20 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

So I play solo and I live on the footpaw, and i am level 62-63. Im too scared to move inland, and all three of my flyers just died as i was looking for an argie. I have an ankylo, a bronto, a carno, a diplo, three parasaurs, a useless dilo, a phiomia, a lystro, three raptors, a trike, a stego,  and two turtles. Any tips?

best advice I got is to try to work up some high level creatures next.....Go with the raptors as they are quick and a high level one is a serious threat to many different creatures. Also you can force feed them meat to heal up, even though it is very slow......As for an argy, try building a trap near carno island or if your gutsy, the creature spawn point on the edge of the winter zone on the west beach. Nooblets actually showcased a trap I build for argies, but got a little fancier than I do.

If your looking for a rock solid tame to get through caves and whatnot, its going to be VERY difficult, but try to tame a thylo. {murder tree kitty} Do be careful though, as they are on the red wood tree's waiting to pounce anything that gets close enough.
But with a base health pool starting at 800, the bleed effect that can kill a titano, and a faster speed than even the raptor, they will absolutely shred anything you come across. 

However, when you do get an argy, I recommend a minimum 500 melee damage to help ward off any "problems" whilst flying around the island.....In fact, I will put 1000 into my main flyer and I can kill alpha rex's.

23 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

Hi, you're not forced to move to the hinterland if you don't feel safe. Excuse me for asking but: what is the motivation that drives you to do it now? I guarantee you that it is not a stupid question if you are looking for advice for your specific situation , there may be less risky alternatives in the meantime.

Edited by CervantesMor

1 hour ago, CervantesMor said:

Hi, you're not forced to move to the hinterland if you don't feel safe. Excuse me for asking but: what is the motivation that drives you to do it now? I guarantee you that it is not a stupid question if you are looking for advice for your specific situation , there may be less risky alternatives in the meantime.

Thx everyone but to the guy who asked me that question, i just feel like i need to, because ever since i got Ark, i’ve been watching a lot of videos like pterafier, syntac, and captainfatdog, and i feel like i need to to progress. I just unlocked the argy saddle as i was taming an ankylo and then when i returned i took my pteradon to the mountain right past the redwoods. As i was there i died to a carno but before i died i shot a tranq arrow so it fell asleep before it could kill my otter that was on my shoulders. so i took my pelegornis to go get the lost pteradon and as i was heading we got attacked by a rhyniognatha and both died and my otter is still lost… Im honestly kinda scared to go and get my stuff back but i had a ton of silica pearls and stuff i was saving for a platform saddle. I dont know if i still should move inland as there are high level creatures.

Edited by RandomSurivor

17 minutes ago, RandomSurivor said:

Thx everyone but to the guy who asked me that question, i just feel like i need to, because ever since i got Ark, i’ve been watching a lot of videos like pterafier, syntac, and captainfatdog, and i feel like i need to to progress. I just unlocked the argy saddle as i was taming an ankylo and then when i returned i took my pteradon to the mountain right past the redwoods. As i was there i died to a carno but before i died i shot a tranq arrow so it fell asleep before it could kill my otter that was on my shoulders. so i took my pelegornis to go get the lost pteradon and as i was heading we got attacked by a rhyniognatha and both died and my otter is still lost… Im honestly kinda scared to go and get my stuff back but i had a ton of silica pearls and stuff i was saving for a platform saddle so i dont know if i still should move back inland

You said you have a Carno and are on ASE, well if those things are important to you to recover, then you would use that Carnosaur. I would put points in speed and resistance, his speed will allow you to overcome any danger, just be careful never to exhaust his Stamina but recover it as soon as it drops below half (if someone attacks you while you are stopping, you will have a reserve of Stamina to be able to escape). If you find predators near your things, you can attract their attention and move them a little further away, if a Rhynionatha chases you: approach the nearest Pteranodon and it will attack instead of you, or get among other preferably non-dangerous creatures for you. In the Redwood keep your eyes high on the trees where there may be Tilacoleo, if you can absolutely avoid the Swamp area. Take a couple of sleeping bags with you and keep them in your Hotbar, if you are surprised and you are sure you will die you can place one very quickly and wait a few minutes before returning (otherwise you will find the person who killed you there), and you have them within reach out of hand if there is danger near your stuff, you can put one on the ground in a safe area before trying to recover your body. It won't be easy to find the Otter if he isn't nearby but as soon as you are there he keeps whistling "everyone follow me"

20 minutes ago, CervantesMor said:

You said you have a Carno and are on ASE, well if those things are important to you to recover, then you would use that Carnosaur. I would put points in speed and resistance, his speed will allow you to overcome any danger, just be careful never to exhaust his Stamina but recover it as soon as it drops below half (if someone attacks you while you are stopping, you will have a reserve of Stamina to be able to escape). If you find predators near your things, you can attract their attention and move them a little further away, if a Rhynionatha chases you: approach the nearest Pteranodon and it will attack instead of you, or get among other preferably non-dangerous creatures for you. In the Redwood keep your eyes high on the trees where there may be Tilacoleo, if you can absolutely avoid the Swamp area. Take a couple of sleeping bags with you and keep them in your Hotbar, if you are surprised and you are sure you will die you can place one very quickly and wait a few minutes before returning (otherwise you will find the person who killed you there), and you have them within reach out of hand if there is danger near your stuff, you can put one on the ground in a safe area before trying to recover your body. It won't be easy to find the Otter if he isn't nearby but as soon as you are there he keeps whistling "everyone follow me"

I live on the footpaw so its gonna be hard to get through to the redwood area without going through the swamps on a carno. And the carno is level 2 and im regretting taming it bc i wasted narcotics and stuff. I will try to do this tho so thx :) If you have any more tips enlighten me bc ive been bored the past few times ive played

Edited by RandomSurivor

8 minutes ago, RandomSurivor said:

and im regretting taming

well, at least now he has a purpose... of course level 2 is really low but... don't underestimate his speed, and put more points in stamina (the level is really low for Stamina, while the base speed is already good and we only need a few points there)

1 minute ago, CervantesMor said:

well, at least now he has a purpose... of course level 2 is really low but... don't underestimate his speed, and put more points in stamina (the level is really low for Stamina, while the base speed is already good and we only need a few points there)

Ok thx i will do that

1 hour ago, RandomSurivor said:

Thx everyone but to the guy who asked me that question, i just feel like i need to, because ever since i got Ark, i’ve been watching a lot of videos like pterafier, syntac, and captainfatdog, and i feel like i need to to progress.

I suggest that you think of "progress" differently.

Progress in ARK doesn't mean you just run out into the wilderness and hope for the best, it means building up enough supplies and extra tames that when something goes wrong you have the ability to recover from the losses and keep going. For example, it's better to have 3-5 pteranodons that were Lvl 50 when you tamed them than to have 1 ptera that was Lvl 150 when you tamed it. If you only have a single ptera and it gets killed, well then you're out of luck until you get another one. But if you have multiple pteras you have a much better chance of immediately flying out to get the stuff from your body.

Also, make sure you have extra resources so you can make new armor & weapons, or have extra armor and weapons that you can immediately use when something bad happens. It doesn't matter whether we're discussing tames, armor, weapons or other equipment, a big part of being successful in ARK is to have extra resources so you can recover from bad things happening.

As you have already discovered, ARK is full of dangers that want to kill you, kill your tames, and cause you to lose stuff. The first key to being successful at ARK is to learn how to be prepared, in advance, before things go wrong. Sometimes that means you have to slow down your progress until you have enough reserves built up. If you only have 1 good fighting mount, don't go someplace where losing that mount will be a big problem. If you only have 1 good flying mount, don't fly some place where losing that flyer will be a big problem.

It's important to remember that those people who have made the videos you're talking about have done all these things. They've lost tames, they've lost equipment, they've lost materials, and they've all developed strategies and methods for making sure they can keep being successful even when bad things happen. They didn't just magically make progress over night because they felt like they needed to, they did the work to build themselves up so they could be successful. Wishful thinking won't help you progress, planning and preparation will.

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

I live on the footpaw so its gonna be hard to get through to the redwood area without going through the swamps on a carno. And the carno is level 2 and im regretting taming it bc i wasted narcotics and stuff. I will try to do this tho so thx :) If you have any more tips enlighten me bc ive been bored the past few times ive played

Ah, single player default. I remember those days. 

I would absolutely attempt to start looking for anything high level, those levels are what makes things easier. If I remember right, the lvl cap is 62? Because of that, Id strongly urge you to look for anything above 45. Raptors is easy, a stego is super tanky but slow and can't heal fast, and if youneed something with a bit more punch, you might consider a larger carnivor. 

As for your stuff, carno will work, but try to farm up a LOT of meat before working your way to your stuff.....Slowly progress to where you got killed, take care of dangers one at a time, run away if you get overwhelmed with multiple creatures, and force feed the meat to the carno to heal back up into fighting condition before attempting to resume your trek. 
Also, try to do it dureing the day time, night time makes things worse and troodons suck.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

I suggest that you think of "progress" differently.

Progress in ARK doesn't mean you just run out into the wilderness and hope for the best, it means building up enough supplies and extra tames that when something goes wrong you have the ability to recover from the losses and keep going. For example, it's better to have 3-5 pteranodons that were Lvl 50 when you tamed them than to have 1 ptera that was Lvl 150 when you tamed it. If you only have a single ptera and it gets killed, well then you're out of luck until you get another one. But if you have multiple pteras you have a much better chance of immediately flying out to get the stuff from your body.

Also, make sure you have extra resources so you can make new armor & weapons, or have extra armor and weapons that you can immediately use when something bad happens. It doesn't matter whether we're discussing tames, armor, weapons or other equipment, a big part of being successful in ARK is to have extra resources so you can recover from bad things happening.

As you have already discovered, ARK is full of dangers that want to kill you, kill your tames, and cause you to lose stuff. The first key to being successful at ARK is to learn how to be prepared, in advance, before things go wrong. Sometimes that means you have to slow down your progress until you have enough reserves built up. If you only have 1 good fighting mount, don't go someplace where losing that mount will be a big problem. If you only have 1 good flying mount, don't fly some place where losing that flyer will be a big problem.

It's important to remember that those people who have made the videos you're talking about have done all these things. They've lost tames, they've lost equipment, they've lost materials, and they've all developed strategies and methods for making sure they can keep being successful even when bad things happen. They didn't just magically make progress over night because they felt like they needed to, they did the work to build themselves up so they could be successful. Wishful thinking won't help you progress, planning and preparation will.

Alr i guess i did have that wrong… thx for telling me! I had 3 pteras but they were all like level 20 i think? I tamed them as they were level one, so i guess that was a mistake… i honestly did think “progressing” in ark was moving inland, getting higher level dinos, and beating the bosses. I guess i was super wrong if im not mistaken. Thx for informing me!

18 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Ah, single player default. I remember those days. 

I would absolutely attempt to start looking for anything high level, those levels are what makes things easier. If I remember right, the lvl cap is 62? Because of that, Id strongly urge you to look for anything above 45. Raptors is easy, a stego is super tanky but slow and can't heal fast, and if youneed something with a bit more punch, you might consider a larger carnivor. 

As for your stuff, carno will work, but try to farm up a LOT of meat before working your way to your stuff.....Slowly progress to where you got killed, take care of dangers one at a time, run away if you get overwhelmed with multiple creatures, and force feed the meat to the carno to heal back up into fighting condition before attempting to resume your trek. 
Also, try to do it dureing the day time, night time makes things worse and troodons suck.

So yes, i am level 62, and my carno sucks. Thx for the tips on what i should tame. I have a stego, im not sure which lvl tho. I think it was like 25 when i tamed and ive had for a decent while. I found it on the spot thats across the river from the tip of the peninsula. I think its called the weathertop. I know about how those troodons are the worst. Ive only encountered them once or twice, and only during the day, but i know about the terrors they can do. I also might not have mentioned but my dad sometimes plays ark with me, and he doesnt really get the combat and stuff lol. The carno i have is like level 3 and i bet he could get killed by 3 dilos. Im gonna train him, but i bet in that time the bag will despawn so my stuff might be gone. One last thing, what carnivore would you recomend? Im level 62-63 and im not sure what lvl i need to be to unlock certain ones

Edited by RandomSurivor

Get an egg farm going for kibble with what you have now, that is your best bet at getting higher level tames.  Your stego in berry mode to stock the feed, and in wood and thatch mode to build it.  Put purple berrys in 0 slot and go accidently tame a pego, on wander they will have fresh seeds when you are ready to start the farm ss stocking them with stego or trike is not going to work, as seeds decays now (at least in ASA not sure if they did that in ASE).  Your philo is your pooper for crops (force feed white berries) and farm ATV.  You need to catch an oviraptor for getting eggs in ASA as its auto.

You can stand on stegos and process their inventory while they follow, have them follow each other with the lead following your para on alert and your bronto mobile warehouse and use them as a chain gang - drive them to resources and they will autofollow back while you craft them.  Use your bronto for the final haul back.   Your para is a good workhorse, low stamina drain to scout area with quick retreat if needed and the big dino chain will eventually catch up and can easily take out anything in green zones.

There is a lot of metal in small round coastline/river rocks that your ankys AOE can easily get. That will advance you into the metal tier, as well as southern metal nodes for stocking up at worst have raptors/carnos but having your own plus big tanky dinos you will do fine.

Do not make the mistake of thinking you need to move inland to find the best in class tames like the guys on the videos do, use the early utility dinos you have to farm and prepare for being inland.  They are never going to show their time offline doing that grinding because they know the videos showing the new max level tame gets the clicks (though Syntac ASA videos did grind at start just to show off the early game differences).  Most likely they all have a team of high rate grinders off screen on their server helping them out because the name of the game is be first to get something.  But this is not the best way to play the game - you need to leverage the progression (defined by egg tiers for dinos and tech tiers for gears) and take things step by step before you move off the beach.

I just watched a great video of ASA base locations not sure if it still applies to ASE on specifics but the general idea is find that safe beach area near water where you can build up your farms where you can then easily move up the cliff to a nearby plateau that is easily walled off for a safe base but gets you closer to inland excursions - then start doing output bases at the good farming areas.  But the reality is you want to keep your mid cliff and start beach base because the deep ocean is also big part of end game.

also your dilo is not useless.  Put it in your egg farm to snack on snatching birds - they have a turret attack.

Your turtles are also fantastic tankers both in/out water, get them breeding.  They are such tanks that you will find yourself not wanting to put down the badly breed ones as it takes too long.

the community  ark wiki gg has a section for each dino showing all the different roles they can fulfill by specializing stats.  Every dino has several good uses.   

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, yarnevk said:

Get an egg farm going for kibble with what you have now, that is your best bet at getting higher level tames.  Your stego in berry mode to stock the feed, and in wood and thatch mode to build it.  Put purple berrys in 0 slot and go accidently tame a pego, on wander they will have fresh seeds when you are ready to start the farm ss stocking them with stego or trike is not going to work, as seeds decays now (at least in ASA not sure if they did that in ASE).  Your philo is your pooper for crops (force feed white berries) and farm ATV.  You need to catch an oviraptor for getting eggs in ASA as its auto.

So i need to build an egg farm? Is it just like making a room where i set dinos on mating? I know i need to make kibble, but im not sure on what kibble to make as dinos have favorites. I keep forgetting about so many tames that i have! I also have an iguanadon (seed maker) and a paracer that im thinking about making a platform saddle for.

you don't NEED to build an egg farm in order to make kibble.  having kibble is very nice but i consider it a luxury.  it would help preserve taming effectiveness and speed up the taming process, but isn't really a requirement. 

i agree with the comments that Pipinghot made.  being properly prepared for a project can make it feel substantially easier.

i'd like to offer a suggestion of making a raft with a taming pen on it.  this way it's portable and can be designed to trap and tame a multitude of different dinos.  just make sure to keep it near shore in shallow water so it doesn't get destroyed by a Leedsikthus (spelling).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stewbawl said:

you don't NEED to build an egg farm in order to make kibble.  having kibble is very nice but i consider it a luxury.  it would help preserve taming effectiveness and speed up the taming process, but isn't really a requirement. 

That really depends on rates  - f you cannot get prime because you lack killer tames (on ASA you just kill wild babies) then trying to get there with berries and raw meat is a lot of risky time (unless rates make taming foods irrelevant) going after prime dinos featured on youtubes when you are ignoring the utility of the dinos you have. Much of the rafting traps got nerfed for ASA as the AI pathing changed specifically for trap avoidance but still good for ASE.   But continually dying going after big tames loosing big birds is a lot of time that could have been spent on a farm preparing to step up the tech/tame ladder and slowly moving inward.  That is the entire point of the game - if you are constantly dying and loosing tames - take a step back down the tech/tame ladder and work your way up and in.

Edited by yarnevk

1 hour ago, RandomSurivor said:

So i need to build an egg farm? Is it just like making a room where i set dinos on mating? I know i need to make kibble, but im not sure on what kibble to make as dinos have favorites. I keep forgetting about so many tames that i have! I also have an iguanadon (seed maker) and a paracer that im thinking about making a platform saddle for.

just search ark community wiki gg https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/ARK_Wiki for kibble - it tells what the formula for each kibble is and what it tames and what type of egg, click on the egg type and it tells you what dinos are that egg type.  You can else just search dino name and egg to find out what egg type it is.  It forms an egg tree, you need this to get that to get the next thing.   The point is you already have a lot of basic utility dinos you already tamed and have built space for so just put them together and let them make eggs when you are not farming resources with them.

The game was not designed for actually learning this stuff within game it was all done by patch notes and social media posts.  The wiki is great for telling the utility of all the dinos you already have, how to breed them for different roles, you already have them but not finding them of use and dismissing them for not being youtube stars.

Your iguandon is an even swifter horse than your parasaur but you have to take it out of harvest mode into speed mode.    It has no stamina drain and is fast, but can easily shred things coming at you on the beach.  Likewise your trike - it is a fantastic thatch gatherer and is incredibly fast (and in ASA are incredibly hard headed)- but only in its special mode.   Now a tickle chicken and mammoth are maybe 5 star not 4 star - but if you are dying trying to get them...

Many of these modes came in TLC updates and if you find explorer notes they will refer to these uses but you really need to be referring to the wiki during play - there is a huge metagame for every tame that the game itself does not document.

Edited by yarnevk

5 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

Alr i guess i did have that wrong… thx for telling me! I had 3 pteras but they were all like level 20 i think? I tamed them as they were level one, so i guess that was a mistake… i honestly did think “progressing” in ark was moving inland, getting higher level dinos, and beating the bosses. I guess i was super wrong if im not mistaken. Thx for informing me!

You can get high levels on the beach, but the types of dino's are not the best. Well except for ones like the spino and therizino, but they are supposed to be 'very difficult" for new players to tame up. While dino's inland are different, they are usually a bit stronger for different purposes. The argy for example, is not exactly stronger, but it is a great travel mount and farm mount as not only does it fly for longer periods without landing, but it also cuts weight of resources in its invintory. But they are not a rex by any means. At least if you spread the points out evenly. If you give them 50 level ups in nothing but health and melee, it can hold its own. Especially compared to  petra.

5 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

So yes, i am level 62, and my carno sucks. Thx for the tips on what i should tame. I have a stego, im not sure which lvl tho. I think it was like 25 when i tamed and ive had for a decent while. I found it on the spot thats across the river from the tip of the peninsula. I think its called the weathertop. I know about how those troodons are the worst. Ive only encountered them once or twice, and only during the day, but i know about the terrors they can do. I also might not have mentioned but my dad sometimes plays ark with me, and he doesnt really get the combat and stuff lol. The carno i have is like level 3 and i bet he could get killed by 3 dilos. Im gonna train him, but i bet in that time the bag will despawn so my stuff might be gone. One last thing, what carnivore would you recomend? Im level 62-63 and im not sure what lvl i need to be to unlock certain ones

Recommend an argy. ButI also strongly recommend a male and female of highish level and then breeding them to get that imprint buff......this will give you a decent flyer with some punch. But keep in mind, it needs 500% melee to get you out of situations if things go wrong.

16 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Recommend an argy. ButI also strongly recommend a male and female of highish level and then breeding them to get that imprint buff......this will give you a decent flyer with some punch. But keep in mind, it needs 500% melee to get you out of situations if things go wrong.

Ive tried getting an argy and it didnt go well (all my flyers died and thats why im writing this whole topic) and also i have breaded, with two parasaurs and when i imprinted the meter went up 1% and it grew up too fast. Maybe bc its a para? Idk but how do i find one without going past the redwoods? I do have a sarco so if they are anywhere along the coast i could prob get there

So thx to everyone but i have one last question: can everyone help me learn how to make superior kibble? Its the preferred by the argy and thats what im looking to tame next! I need citronal, jerky, and large eggs i think? I need recipes and the easiest way to get them if possible pls. Thx for all your help tho!