Help about ferox please

Ciaba

Hi everyone, I am here in order to ask some questions about the ferox. 

I like it so much but I feel that it doesn't have several utility in pve.

So, first of all I want to ask if anyone knows if sanguine elixir can be used on ferox while taming. I wouldn't be sure because for his taming method, he doesn't appear as a trackable taming. So I thought that maybe it isn't possible to give him sanguine elixir.

My second majority part of doubts is about levelling him and breeding him. Is it possible to make generations of ferox? In my experience it seems that sometimes the sons don't copy the stats of the parents... Plus, which other bugs are about levelling and breeding him?

Lastly, which are his utilities? I am a pve player so I am more interested about this case.

Thanks to anyone who will help me :)

1 hour ago, Ciaba said:

So, first of all I want to ask if anyone knows if sanguine elixir can be used on ferox while taming. I wouldn't be sure because for his taming method, he doesn't appear as a trackable taming. So I thought that maybe it isn't possible to give him sanguine elixir.

Someone else will have to answer that, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Ciaba said:

My second majority part of doubts is about levelling him and breeding him. Is it possible to make generations of ferox? In my experience it seems that sometimes the sons don't copy the stats of the parents... Plus, which other bugs are about levelling and breeding him?

Breeding and stats work the same for ferox as all other species.

In case this is the issue - Any levels that you add from XP do not go to the offspring, only the levels they had at the exact moment you finished taming matters.

1 hour ago, Ciaba said:

Lastly, which are his utilities?

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Ferox#Utility

On 7/20/2023 at 2:38 AM, Ciaba said:

Yes, the elixer has effect on the taming progress with this one. 

-> List of creatures that I think have a progress of obtaining/taming that will have no use for the elixer would be:
Titanosaur, Reaper, Wyvern, Rock Drake, Deinonychus, Magmasaur, Extinction Titans, Riverfish/Lamprey/Leech, Enforcer.

-> List of creatures with which the elixer has lesser use, or it would be anti-progressive to use the elixer:
Ovis, Equus/Unicorn, Queen Bee, Phoenix, submerged (water-dinos) creatures.

I have tamed several Ferox using the elixer to boost the taming.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:17 AM, Pipinghot said:

Breeding and stats work the same for ferox as all other species.

Well, the stat distribution part of breeding works the same with Ferox. The Ferox does have its specific demands for breeding.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:38 AM, Ciaba said:

Lastly, which are his utilities? I am a pve player so I am more interested about this case.

They are breedable can become really, really OP. Giga level OP... Maybe even beyond Giga. Actually without a doubt they could smash an OP Giga. But it will take endless hours to get it to that level. Plus, they can wear ARMOR !!!
Unless you can get your hands on a community bred line. But its a very much less common animal, so to get a good Ferox instead of a Giga would be hard.
Very nice creature to have with you. Hard to get it to transform in tense situations fast. But it will wreck havoc. Downside, you cant cryo it while its transformed, so once transformed, its kind of your main mount from that point on.

Bugs about leveling them? Havent seen any, nor with breeding. Only bug that I fear with them sometimes, is that there is a rumor that they will just dissapear if they transform back into their cute state. Havent seen it happen though...
Bugs transforming: Dissapearing (Very rare) Anti-Meshing destroyed in very tight spaces (Be carefull)

Edited by SunsetErosion

Thanks to everyone for answering to me. About the fact that they can wear armor, I noticed that it reduces a lot the damage taken (wild giga was only dealing 14 damage) but my flak helmet with 500 durability was broken in a few bites from the giga. So is there anything to say about that? Should I go around with like 10 helmets? Or what?

To note, use the elixir last (at 70% + taming). Iirc its additional progress will reset next time the Ferox transforms, unless they've since fixed that. Tbh I don't think they're worth taming--there's a cave in Fjordur where you can tame cave-levelled ones (up to 300 on official settings, iirc) but even then, they tend to vanish or duplicate etc. when transforming. Or if you leave your base having left one in giant form, it'll often despawn trying to transform back.

13 hours ago, Ciaba said:

Thank you. I hope it won't happen... Or maybe I will spawn back one by myself xD

The best way to avoid having them disappear is to build a taming trap to lure them into before you start the taming. Since you have your own server (or are playing single-player) you can make a 3x3x4 tiles high trap just outside of their cave and lure them into it whenever they want to chase you.

Having said that, this works best for the ferox's in the part of the cave closest to the entrance. If you want to tame some inside the deep part of the cave you're going to want to practice using a grappling hook to hang safely on the walls during the taming process. This is more risky, but since there are more of them in the large chamber you will have more chances of getting a good spawn.

16 hours ago, Feralkyn said:

To note, use the elixir last (at 70% + taming). Iirc its additional progress will reset next time the Ferox transforms, unless they've since fixed that. Tbh I don't think they're worth taming--there's a cave in Fjordur where you can tame cave-levelled ones (up to 300 on official settings, iirc) but even then, they tend to vanish or duplicate etc. when transforming. Or if you leave your base having left one in giant form, it'll often despawn trying to transform back.

In that cave on Fjordur, the Ferox don't have the "Wild" prefix, or, to put it more simply, they're untameable. Just like the creatures in the Artifact caves on the same map. In fact, I often hide the Artifact of the Devious in that cave because of the untameable dinos that spawn up to level 300.

11 hours ago, MalarOpossum867 said:

In that cave on Fjordur, the Ferox don't have the "Wild" prefix, or, to put it more simply, they're untameable. Just like the creatures in the Artifact caves on the same map. In fact, I often hide the Artifact of the Devious in that cave because of the untameable dinos that spawn up to level 300.

They may have fixed it, then! It used to be that the high-levelled ones in the cave could be tamed. (I assume that was a bug, cave-levelled creatures should not be tameable.)

@Feralkyn -  they patched the taming over level 150 ferox a long while back.

Ferox do track from what I remember,  they used to anyways.  I used that a bunch when taming them on fjordur.

Sanguin elixir does work on them.  Notable animals that it doesn’t work on that I didn’t see mentioned early in the conversation,  all water based tames.  You can’t use the elixir while floating in water.  If you can somehow stand while trying to tame a water Dino,  that would be the only way to make it work.

notable bugs when breeding ferox.  Ferox are 2 different animals in one.  That means on the first transformation,  that first tame has matching level totals to the small form.   Once you start breeding however,  the big form total will begin to deviate from the small form total.  This will have one complication that’s difficult to work with once you start talking reaching max level.

if the combined total of the big form will reach over 500,  then the baby will disappear upon birth.  So even if you see level 412 on the baby when you use an incubator,  it’s not showing you the big form level at the same time.  If the big form is inheriting over 500,  that baby will not show up upon birth.

also,  mutations,  that is something I never fully understood.  I saw mutations effect the small form stats but I am hazy if the the big form stats can be mutated. 

I can’t remember if the chance to mutate was only small form or it could go to big or small making it tougher to spot the changes as there would be 14 possible places for a single mutation instead of 7.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:24 PM, Ciaba said:

Thanks to everyone for answering to me. About the fact that they can wear armor, I noticed that it reduces a lot the damage taken (wild giga was only dealing 14 damage) but my flak helmet with 500 durability was broken in a few bites from the giga. So is there anything to say about that? Should I go around with like 10 helmets? Or what?

You can get that helmet to over 1k durability with better blueprints and craft skill boosting,

carry a coupe extra,  and avoid direct bites from gigas regardless.