insulation specifics

I would very much like to calculate the insulation values that I need to achieve to reliably incubate particular species at various temperatures. However, I have not been able to find specific enough information on how (exactly) insulation values translate air temp to effective temp.

Can anyone enlighten me, or point me to a resource I have missed?

31 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

See, that's the kind of conversation I'm trying to avoid. It should be pretty simple. I'd have to guess that eggs like characters have a comfort range of temps, and that insulation increases the range. 

What I want is to know how that effect is calculated. 

Yeah sorry I don't have that info, I can only speculate.. our base is at 50 50 and it's kind of cold there, our breeding pen isn't enclosed 100% (so no house bonus ) so I can't give you exact numbers ! 

Edit: I would assume based on temp range of eggs, you could extrapolate how much insulation is needed (hoping that 1 insul covers 1 hypo and 1 hyper) but it seems more like a 2:1 ratio 

I guess your biggest problem would be how inconsistent the temp is on the island. But once you get an exact number on how insulation affects/relates  hypo/hyper we can't do anything 

Just now, orionwinterfire said:

Indeed. That's part of why I'm so interested in this. And I really don't understand why it hasn't been spelled out all over the Internet like most other mechanics.

I can only hope that kind of information will be more readily available when it hits full launch and more of the "number crunchers" are around 

Who is up to the challenge?! 

• Volunteer Moderator
29 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I can only hope that kind of information will be more readily available when it hits full launch and more of the "number crunchers" are around 

Who is up to the challenge?! 

Without other data, about the only way I can think of doing this(and it would be a huge pain in the backside).

1.  Find the combo of clothing that get you to 0 cold(as I think it will be easier to test) insulation.

2.  Find the highest temperature where you go from snowflake to ice cube; nothing to snowflake might also work.

3.  Now, while monitoriing for a change in temperature(which kills the experiment and forces you to find someplace with the same temp so that you can cointineu), change into different combinations of insulations, preferrable going up incrementally 1 or 5 units at a time(or some other fixed number), until the ice cube goes away; and hoping the temp does not change.

From that, you should be able to formulate how many insulation units it takes to protect from 1 degree of C.  This, of course, assumes the formula is linear with a constant state of rise(X = 1, 2X = 2, etc.) and does not get applied on some curve that compares the extreme vs no damage.  That can be verified once you know X, by finding someplace that is 10X worse and then apply 10X insulation, and see if you get to snowflake.

P.S.  Enjoy freezing your virtual dodads off. :D

3 hours ago, Jey123456 said:

i would also love to know. I know that with 5 ac i have yet to find an egg that wasnt happy in my base, but thats hardly Eggsact data. 

Fixed that quote for you :P

Also I used to hatch quetz eggs with 6 aircons no worries.

For now OP, its trial and error, it doesn't hurt to put down a couple more aircons than may be required to hatch stuff and carry a set of fur on your flier.

• Volunteer Moderator
58 minutes ago, Rippy said:

Fixed that quote for you :P

Also I used to hatch quetz eggs with 6 aircons no worries.

For now OP, its trial and error, it doesn't hurt to put down a couple more aircons than may be required to hatch stuff and carry a set of fur on your flier.

Yep.  I put up 11 in an L config and never had a problem with anything, from Giga to Quetzal.

As mentioned, the values are affected by the environmental temperatures, which can vary by region, day/night, and weather patterns.   Due to this, even with specifics for each egg, the numbers are less relevant. This is why for consistency you simply stack AC units in your incubation chamber to the point that any variations will be negated and all eggs will incubate with no issues. The AC units as well have radiating temps that degrade the farther from the unit so arranging them so that they stack their values as efficiently as possible while having room for the egg(s) per your breeding program is important. Having more AC units than you need thus is easier as the overkill doesn't harm the breeding.

This actually has me intrigued and I think I will do some tests once I get a few mind wipe tonics available. 

Wipe per stats and stand in an extreme cold temperature. Record base temperature and start adding fortitude until you go from ice cube to snowflake. Do the same for snowflake to normal. Then repeat multiple times with varying temperatures. This should be able to be turned into reasonable data set. I would assume it is a linear progression from freezing to normal. 

30 minutes ago, Tindalen said:

This actually has me intrigued and I think I will do some tests once I get a few mind wipe tonics available. 

Wipe per stats and stand in an extreme cold temperature. Record base temperature and start adding fortitude until you go from ice cube to snowflake. Do the same for snowflake to normal. Then repeat multiple times with varying temperatures. This should be able to be turned into reasonable data set. I would assume it is a linear progression from freezing to normal. 

Please do ! Then post findings here ! Could even try it on a sp game to spawn in tonics, and control precisely where you want / need to be for tests. (More control)

• Volunteer Moderator
57 minutes ago, kd0t said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3zossq/data_temperature_insulation/ 

TL;DR

Temperature and Insulation scale linearly both above and below 0C (32F) degrees, for all insulation values of both Cold and Heat. 50 Insulation is worth 3C degrees (5.4F) of ‘resistance’.

Excellent!  Will be book marking this for future reference.

2 hours ago, kd0t said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3zossq/data_temperature_insulation/ 

TL;DR

Temperature and Insulation scale linearly both above and below 0C (32F) degrees, for all insulation values of both Cold and Heat. 50 Insulation is worth 3C degrees (5.4F) of ‘resistance’.

Thank you!!!

Archived