the good, the bad, and the end

nameless

would you play again?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If the time reverses and you come back to the moment right before you hit "purchase", would you play this game again?

• yes
    • no

the good, the bad, and the end

Since (i suppose) the last dlc is coming, and that may be the end, i just want to make a list of good and bad things ever happened in this game. I also want to know  the general opinion to see if everyone think this game is worthy.

everyone is welcome to add to the list

good (starting from the most significant):

massive official network

large number of active players in official network

new things constantly being added

longevity of official network and the game itself

detailed graphics (map, creature, building, and animation)

highly modable in single and unofficial

rich game mechanics (if they have worked as intended, that is)

rich environmental settings and stories

bad (starting from the most significant):

corruption in official network community (real money trading, exploiting/ cheating, DDOS, and as the rumor goes, unfair/ corrupted/ lazy enforcement)

malfunction in official network hard/software (server crashes, character loss, roll backs)

primitive and yet ineffective anticheat mechanisms (anti meshing, transfer cool down, log in lock)

lack of alternative to official network (no organization seems to offer an unofficial network vanilla, massive, and stable enough as the official network)

evolution- like development (when ever there is a problem, there may be a fix, either as a patch rebalancing, or a new creature/ item. though faultless in itself, the game now is build more by fixes and less by design)

and finally, a question for thought: had there be a few critical errores in game direction from the beginning?

"multiplayer aspect" : a better tribe system, and just..... maybe a credential system based on credit card/ phone number can be used optionally  by some players?

i remember my start in official server: at the start of game, players in PVP and PVE formed large tribes with strangers from all origins. there wasnt any "chinese hating", or "insiders", or "pillaring", or "scammers". everyone just joined a tribe and go build, tame, and explore the island, and the ones who already explored everyone just help the others and take pleasure for it.

but as time go on, there were "chinese hating", "insiders", "pillaring", "scammers". people lost trust for strangers considering how much damage they can do. chinese swarms started to form based on trust from common nationality and language. alpha tribes emerged from the old tribes which have either happened to not lose their players, or are large enough to prevent any form of offline "insiding". the rest of the players broke off into singles or doubles in both PVP and PVE.....

then there are the pillaring, because instead of 10 large tribes, you have 100 small tribes PVE. then there are real money trading, exploiting, and cheating, because many people simply have no way to get what they want legally without the back up of a tribe..................

"mutation instead of leveling": i guess it increase the replayability, but isnt it a bit........ boring?

i remember one day when "mutation" happened, and the other day when the effect of leveling up the  creature become as little as 17% of the original value. it seemed like mutations became the only viable option for getting stronger creatures (which is.... very critical if you dont have a large tribe you can trust)

then all of a sudden you see massive base with nothing but ~400 dinos of a single species, and peoples everyday job becomes more or less "new stats", "new stats", "new stats" repetitively until infinity.............

perhaps this generation and exchange of "new stats" make this game a bit more "multiplayer" than it was, but....... the bases, the pillars (for more breeding room), the lag (from creatures), and most importantly the loss of braving different environments, hunting, taming, and leveling for repetitive breeding in a huge box-base over years.........

is it really worth it?

17 hours ago, SENATOR said:

And finally about mutation. just imagine without mutation we have to just taming wild dinos with funny stats which is weak for defend and fight .even bobs can easily kill them with compound bow or shotgun  . like 3k health or 4k health . no way

indeed, it would be pretty awful if mutations are gone nowadays

but at the beginning, there was a time when there was breeding but not much for mutations, during which per postnatal level in melee and hp cause 5x more increase than it is now.
this means that no creature is born with high melee/ hp, but can potentially be leveled up to be more powerful than they are now. (stats depends more on leveling than breeding) I am just thinking what kind of difference would that make if it stayed that way

Easy Yes for me.

Despite bugs and glitches, for what I paid for the game and the DLCs its worked out at less than a penny an hour. You can't get that kind of value from going to the cinema, theme parks or nights out at the pub. 

The only thing I could think of where you might get close to the same £/hour cost was netflix but only if you watched it 24 hours a day .  In reality if I'd watched netflix for the same amount of time I have played Ark on average per day it would cost 7x as much per hour as Ark has.

Archived