advice Just a little question

SharkLordSatan

I guess this is just me asking for advice but w/e lmao

So anyways, I play on a player dedicated server, and I'm a pretty low level - around level 22 or so. I recently got a primitive crossbow and around 200 tranq arrows, and recently I've just been kind of wondering what you guys think would be good for me to tame next.

Here's a run-down of what I have tamed;

A Trike (no saddle yet)
Two Parasaurs (one having a saddle, one male one female)
Two Dilos (also male and female)
Three Dodos (all female)
and finally, two frogs, one being around level 15 or so and the other 105. 15 is male, 105 is female.

I'm planning on taming a Pteranodon, but Im also tempted to tame a Paracer since I have so many tranq arrows, and I've seen a few low-levels around my base. An Itchy could be useful too but I haven't seen any yet. Also, can Paracers destroy/damage wood structures? Because I have an idea to build a sort of "sniper tower" where I can shoot animals from relative safety.

What do you guys think?

9 minutes ago, swurvy said:

I'm with these guys, get yourself in the air.  Also, you mentioned an icthy, it's a passive tame so you won't need any of those tranq. arrows.  Plus, you can make dodo kibble to tame one better/faster.

This ! Forgot to mention, save your dilo eggs to make kibble for your anky/doed tame. Level 120 only takes like 60 kibble (or use 10-20 for a nice fast low lvl tame, since they take forever to tame)

1 hour ago, SharkLordSatan said:

I guess this is just me asking for advice but w/e lmao

So anyways, I play on a player dedicated server, and I'm a pretty low level - around level 22 or so. I recently got a primitive crossbow and around 200 tranq arrows, and recently I've just been kind of wondering what you guys think would be good for me to tame next.

Here's a run-down of what I have tamed;

A Trike (no saddle yet)
Two Parasaurs (one having a saddle, one male one female)
Two Dilos (also male and female)
Three Dodos (all female)
and finally, two frogs, one being around level 15 or so and the other 105. 15 is male, 105 is female.

I'm planning on taming a Pteranodon, but Im also tempted to tame a Paracer since I have so many tranq arrows, and I've seen a few low-levels around my base. An Itchy could be useful too but I haven't seen any yet. Also, can Paracers destroy/damage wood structures? Because I have an idea to build a sort of "sniper tower" where I can shoot animals from relative safety.

What do you guys think?

If I were you, I would tame the pteranadon first in that you should have a flying mount that allows you to do some scouting of the island and also do quick runs around the map to pick up item drops. The paracer is not something I would tame without the kibble because they can be really useful battle mounts once you have the platform saddle unlocked for them. You will always need a pteranadon and since you have dodo's, you can save the eggs and get a nice one.

Tame a male dodo for the egg boost - pteras are the most valuable tame in the game. Then tame 1 male and 3 female scorpions. Next you'll need a prime farmer - dire wolf, carno, and saber are the most efficient at your level. You will need a dung beetle at this point to make prime jerky. After you build up pulmino eggs you can start taming low level rexes which will bring you to quetzals, the most game-changing dino there is. Farming metal, stone, and flint with a quetzal and anky will allow you to have a fast source of lots of metal. Obviously you'll want tribe members to help with all of this.

Make no mistake - this is a lot of time and energy but it's a foolproof path to establishing yourself as a player on your server. 

18 minutes ago, V0XICxSLAUGHT3R said:

If I were you, I would tame the pteranadon first in that you should have a flying mount that allows you to do some scouting of the island and also do quick runs around the map to pick up item drops. The paracer is not something I would tame without the kibble because they can be really useful battle mounts once you have the platform saddle unlocked for them. You will always need a pteranadon and since you have dodo's, you can save the eggs and get a nice one.

Paracers are endgame siege mounts, don't even worry about them until you need to raid. 

Thank you! Honestly, I find Paracers to be useful if you have a saddle for them; they're nice for building walls higher than 4 - 5 wall pieces or so. Plus, they're pretty strong IMO.

I'm currently a one-man (or gal) tribe, as I tend to only trust my friends when it comes to tribes. I also had a male dodo and a pteranodon, but I left them on passive and they got chomped by a 106 compy. Yes. A compy. So I'll make sure to tame them when I get back online.

1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

Paracers are endgame siege mounts, don't even worry about them until you need to raid. 

I would agree. My tribe and I are in the later stages of the building and have two perfect tame triple digits to use as siege and anti-air mounts to keep quetzals away from our ground forces during siege (they are way more valuable in primitive servers like mine in my opinion).

42 minutes ago, SharkLordSatan said:

Thank you! Honestly, I find Paracers to be useful if you have a saddle for them; they're nice for building walls higher than 4 - 5 wall pieces or so. Plus, they're pretty strong IMO.

I'm currently a one-man (or gal) tribe, as I tend to only trust my friends when it comes to tribes. I also had a male dodo and a pteranodon, but I left them on passive and they got chomped by a 106 compy. Yes. A compy. So I'll make sure to tame them when I get back online.

Before you tame, you should build a small dino pen that consists of a reinforced dino gate and stone frame and build it say 6x6x5. This should give you enough space to store plenty of dodo's, pteranadons, trikes, etc. that you need and keep them out and away from the random spawns and people passing through the area.

1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

Tame a male dodo for the egg boost - pteras are the most valuable tame in the game. Then tame 1 male and 3 female scorpions. Next you'll need a prime farmer - dire wolf, carno, and saber are the most efficient at your level. You will need a dung beetle at this point to make prime jerky. After you build up pulmino eggs you can start taming low level rexes which will bring you to quetzals, the most game-changing dino there is. Farming metal, stone, and flint with a quetzal and anky will allow you to have a fast source of lots of metal. Obviously you'll want tribe members to help with all of this.

Make no mistake - this is a lot of time and energy but it's a foolproof path to establishing yourself as a player on your server. 

This is of course assuming you stay off of the radar long enough to accomplish this without drawing the attention of any alpha tribes or grief tribes in the server. Once they see someone making progress, there is a possibility that you may be approached by them for one reason or another.

Unless you have someone who can make a ptera/argent saddle for you, I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest leaving that for a later tame. Ptera saddle isn't until lv. 35, argent 55, and without a saddle neither one will do you much good.

I would recommend going for a raptor or maybe a terror bird, which are both much more level appropriate and will have better overall utility for you. Plus they will both set you up to have a much easier time taming other carnivores and will provide decent protection for your other animals, especially if you tame a small pack of them. They don't need many arrows so you could easily tame 2-3 and have more than enough left over for bigger things. Terror birds are a little trickier to tame but they do have that added glide bonus, which is both amusing and useful.

Paracers are definitely great to have, but you can't ride it until level 30. Ichys are good if you need to go diving, but you'd also need to have a sea pen for it or it will get eaten by sharks, most likely.

• Volunteer Moderator

And, to add to @Cymas said, be prepared for targets of opportunity.

Building yourself a good taming pen or two; with dino gate, ramps, and doorframes, near good spots, is a good way to start.  Upon occasion, I have tamed something I can't saddle, but that is because it just happened to be in the right spot at the right time; and I went for it even if I did not have the kibble.  A level 40 wild Rex, tranqed and tamed on prime and meat, is better than no rex; I probably would not even waste kibble on it.  However, having it as a guard dog for my base, yeah, I will take it.

But, for now, go for what you can use the best; raptor and terror birds for meat gathering and protection, turtles for turtle eggs(never too soon to start collection for that bronto), and other egg layers.

Side story:  I once started on a new server, and had barely gotten to sling shot, when I found a lvl 76 trike in a gully, that I could shoot down in and it could not climb up.  Prepped for it by putting down a box, filling it with stone, berries, and making some spare slingshots.  Well, long story short, I managed to knock it out, and, to my luck, nothing ever came to mess with us.  Use to follow me around all the time while I harvested(since I had no saddle) and carry all of the stuff I put on him.  Was harvesting a rock when I heard combat music, and I turned around to see my trike(Charger) was going toe to toe with a low level rex; which I got to harvest shortly afterwards.  :)

Archived