How do you teach yourself how to tame?

Kharneth

23 hours ago, Kharneth said:

You act like I don't know how to enjoy myself. 

Checklists take the fun out of it. I'm just unsure how people figured this out to begin with. 

Here's the thing... there's taming, and then there's taming done properly. You can just dive in and figure out how to tame things without any help, and then you will be taming. You won't however be taming effectively; it will be more difficult, longer, and will diminish the results you get in terms of the quality of the dinos after taming. If you want to do it properly and get the best possible results for your circumstances, then you're far better off to read up on taming or seek some advice.

It's a survival game that's intended to be very difficult on your own, but its also a game that rewards teamwork, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge/experience.

Play as you like... but if you don't want help, why even bother posting in the forum? It's very confusing when you ask questions but don't want certain answers. If you don't want help, figure the answer to your question out on your own then. 

On 3/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, Kharneth said:

I have also never tamed any dinos because I don't really care and I don't know how. I don't want you guys to tell me how to tame them, I believe I understand the jist. What I'm wondering is, how exactly do you figure out how to tame dinosaurs other than by other people explaining it (in game, forums, wiki, etc).

Glad to see you finally care.  I am not sure how to teach people how to learn as i have never been a parent or any sort of professional that deals with low level developmental things like learning.

I noticed some dinos tell you what food to put in their inventory, but many more don't. Should I just start experimenting because it's a trial and error thing? Or is it written somewhere on the items or something?

Yes that's how i learned it alot of it is common sense, like... animals that try to eat you, probably like meat because you are made of meat.

I don't want a check list or a table showing all the food and items to use to tame each dino. I just want to know where I should look in-game to start to figure this out on my own. 

If the game just does a piss poor job of providing this and it truly is trial and error than what dino would you recommend I try to figure out first? Personally, I want a raptor because they are cool, but I don't want that to be my first because I know it's going to be lethal. Should I start with the dog-sized lizards that eat berries? I use a lot of wood and it's awfully heavy, is there a dino I should look for either as a packmule or a wood-specific harvester? Or are these/is this dino not a smart move for a beginner? 

if you are level 70 i would look at the saddles of things you can make. an Argentavis is a good and challenging tame because it will grant you flight and they have weight reduction for various materials.

Archived