Question about breeding

Hosscat

I was breeding raptors for color for a little while. It’s possible, but not exact. If they do end up mutating with a color, however, that will be passed on from that particular animal to all of its offspring and their offspring from what I observed. I had a color mutation of dark emerald to the body in one line of my raptors, but I was going for gray or dark brown/copper with teal feathers, so I only bred that one down a couple of times and didn’t have time to find out if another color mutation on body would override the green.

In theory you have a 50:50 base chance on each region to get father or mother side colors. So yes you can combine different colors (i do it all the time). It just takes time and if you are looking for a specific combination it can feel like the chances are a lot lower than that till you get the perfect dino you want since in my opinion the game senses what you are trying to do and does everything in it's power to prevent it :P

Breeding for looks is for the patient. As they say, it's a random chance to get some attributes from mother or father when it comes to looks. When it comes to stats, you have a 70% chance of the best stat from either parent.

In all of this of course, you also have a smaller shot at mutations. In any breed you can get multiple colour mutations. I once got 3 colour mutations on one birth for example.

In short, it's a patience game but one that's worth it and makes it all the more rewarding when you finally get the dino just right in terms of colours etc. Along the way, you may get some fun mutated surprises you like even more than your goal.

Since we are on the topic, i have a some what "lower level ptera", with a certain color that i rather enjoy and was wondering ... how to xfer that to a much higher level ptera? or should i try to find a good stat / higher level with the same color?

I got a pair of 150's the other day right next to each-other what are the odds?

they are a similar color though so i would have to mutate them (or at least i hope) and i just got the baby to xfer their stats on the 5th egg or so, so the baby became the new male and doesn't have any mutations so he's clean to get more stuff and things, so needless to say i was happy.

The lower one is 194/220 <-nearing bonus point limits in breeder it says the baby will be around 229 (with the 11% chance) should i bother?

I breed them yesterday bout to check if it hatches with stats and color hoping for the best usually expect the worse, i always have a hard time executing any babies, but i suppose with breeder it helps to visually see its worth before hand.

4 hours ago, zeroBurnAcidCool said:

Since we are on the topic, i have a some what "lower level ptera", with a certain color that i rather enjoy and was wondering ... how to xfer that to a much higher level ptera? or should i try to find a good stat / higher level with the same color?

I did this with parasaurs (yeah, I am weird) by just repeatedly mating the low-level color-I-want one with the high-level one and culling all but the best of the appropriately colored offspring, and repeating until the appropriately colored offsprings' stats matched the high-level. Once you've got a male and female of the appropriate color and stats you can "retire" the old high-stat one(s).

30 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

generally this is a bad idea because "mutation-free" male and "clean" stock of females are still needed to continue improving the line.

In this particular case I assumed the "certain colored low level" was wild/tamed (vs bred) to begin with, so mutations need not actually enter the equation. The parasaur coloring process I was referring to was with a rarer natural color, rather than a mutated one.

But I am not too acquainted with the mutation mechanics; so I am not entirely sure how mutations become a concern here. If the mutated stat is lower, wouldn't it end up being bred back out on the way to the current high stat. If it is better, you'd probably want to keep it. Or are you just talking about avoiding "wasted" mutations on the way?

45 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

But I am not too acquainted with the mutation mechanics; so I am not entirely sure how mutations become a concern here.

I just assumed that colored-low-level one you were talking about is a mutated color and the high-level one is a main breed line (with or without stat mutations). In that situation if you bred for mutated color and mutated stats - resulting baby's mutation count will needlessly rise which, had you "retired" all the old high stat ones, may result in an unfavorable situation of getting lower chance for new mutation to occur at least or not being able to mutate it again at worst.

If they are just tamed and not mutated - then you have nothing to worry about, but i still consider it a waste of time.

Archived