Best way to harvest Chitin/Keratine

Grayden178

Chitin is dropped by the Pulmonoscorpius, and Spiders, while Keratin is found on the Triceratops, Carnotaurus, Carbonemys, Sabertooth, Mammoth, Ankylosaurus, and the Stegosaurus 

The two materials can be used interchangibly in many of the mid to high tier crafting recipes such as cementing paste or saddles for the flying dinosaurs, Pteradon and Argentavis.

Many players however find this material hard to gather, merely getting one or two pieces per killed dinosaur. There are however easier ways to collect the material.

1. Collect it from the scorpions and spiders found in one of the caves.

The many caves on the island provide players with an oppertunity to find large amounts of scorpions and spiders which provide chitin when killed. These caves can be dangerous, however, being home to a variety of creatures.

The cave I would recommend for it's easier difficulty is the southern cave at the coordinates 80, 53. Do come prepared with both food, drink and weapons along with stimberries to counteract the toxin from the scorpions.

2. Using the right tools

Finding the creatures which will drop the materials do not do you much good unless you gather it with the right tools. Using an axe on a creature will yield a larger amount of hide, chitin and keratin while harvesting with a pickaxe will yield larger amounts of meat. Use this to your advantage.

3. Using a Sabertooth

Taming a sabertooth can often make farming both hide, chitin and keratin easier. Killing an enemy and harvesting it with the sabertooth has the same effects as harvesting with an axe, however, a sabertooth yields larger amounts of materials depending on its melee damage stat. As such a high leveled sabertooth with a lot of melee damage will harvest large amounts of chitin and keratin per animal (Reported to be upwards to 40 per scorpion).

• Volunteer Moderator

we use the spino/trilobyte method. the spino can swim well enough to reach the lower shelves or sea floor where we usually will find a few spawn spots with 20 or more trilobytes. the high melee of the spino's we use get 15-20 chitin per trilobyte, so the wife usually shows up with 20-30 stacks each run. we use scuba to stay down as long as the spino can. saber in a cave is also a good way to farm chitin, but trilobytes seem to respawn alot faster than cave critters. to each their own:)

Yep. But our method will only work until the Feb 17th patch. We created a BroodMother factory at Red Ob. We built a large stone structure with hatch-frame ceilings. Once summoned, the Brood Mother is trapped, and the spiders she creates falls through the hatch frames.

Once there, they are met with 3 cats on aggressive. Now here's the catch:

She despawns if no one is there. So, who ever wants the chitin stays at the factory for as long as they can. We grab the meat and chitin off the cats every hour or so. We get roughly 10k chitin an hour doing this.

Again, this awesomeness ends when the boss arenas roll out, as the bosses won't be summoned to the map, but instead, we will be ported to the boss' mini-map.

• Volunteer Moderator
29 minutes ago, griffindahouze said:

Step 4: Hop around the swamp

this is where the trouble starts...maybe i suck at it but everytime i take a frog into the swamp i barely get back alive. not that its not fun, because it is, but i usually have to hop home before i've gathered enough to be what i consider worth while. i know some folks have great success using this method tho'--i'm just not one of themxD

I use the frog.. A low level frog tame will have low torpor and not survive the swamp well. Invest the time in taming as high a level frog as you can .I just did a 116 and he tamed with  close to 4000 torpor so snakes are no longer a problem. At 259% melee he gets between 4 to 12 cement paste a fly plus chitin 15 minutes in the right spots in the swamp and you get 3 to 5 hundred paste + chitin

10 hours ago, Deadman said:

Not that I've found. I take my saber into the cave next to the volcano, easily get over 10 stacks of chitin per run.

Is that still true after balance changes? im playing on an official server and would like to try it out. or are you playing on some kind of modded server with higher dino levels and some other crap? If you play on vanilla settings im interested in the stats needed for an easy cave run on a sabrethooth.

15 hours ago, Seands9 said:

Yep. But our method will only work until the Feb 17th patch. We created a BroodMother factory at Red Ob. We built a large stone structure with hatch-frame ceilings. Once summoned, the Brood Mother is trapped, and the spiders she creates falls through the hatch frames.

Once there, they are met with 3 cats on aggressive. Now here's the catch:

She despawns if no one is there. So, who ever wants the chitin stays at the factory for as long as they can. We grab the meat and chitin off the cats every hour or so. We get roughly 10k chitin an hour doing this.

Again, this awesomeness ends when the boss arenas roll out, as the bosses won't be summoned to the map, but instead, we will be ported to the boss' mini-map.

This is the smartest thing I've ever heard.

My tribe does the same thing with the brood mother, except, we bring several brontos with turrets to defend us while we farm the baby spiders. We usually get about 200,000 chitin in about an hour. We play on a server with 25x gather rates, but yeh thats all the ways to get chitin in bulk. I have a tribe of about 20 people, so that chitin is gone pretty fast.

1. Spino and hunt trilo, you get pearls and oil..
  2. Frog, kill something in the swamp and let the meganeura swarms come.
  3. Saber in center island cave
  4. broodmother technique.

For me I use a 3 pronged technique depending on what I want exactly if it's cementing paste I'll take a few toads and a male argent since the drags will always agro to the argent an then let the toads do what they do.

If it's just chitin/keratin I want then I'll use direwolfs and sabers combined since they both farm the most.

Or I'll go cave diving with onycs and saber or wolf if they can fit in the cave.

We do double broodmother pulls:

1. Summon one, lure it up and into a large stone structure where it can drop its babies down where we are with a high level Saber. 

2. Summon another one, lure it to the same spot and drop it in with the other one.

3. One cat is enough, with typically one rider and another player cleaning it off.

This is a great way to get huge amounts of meat and arrows as well.

Once we had 2 broodmothers going for well over 24 hours, probably close to 36. 

Unfortunately this will all change soon, so we'll probably do a huge pull again this weekend. 

Official Server -> after a few hours of this we can easily have 200 thousand chitin. 

18 hours ago, jenskamen said:

Is that still true after balance changes? im playing on an official server and would like to try it out. or are you playing on some kind of modded server with higher dino levels and some other crap? If you play on vanilla settings im interested in the stats needed for an easy cave run on a sabrethooth.

The saber I use was a 120 wild. Its got about 3k hp and liek 600 melee I believe, something like that. Used to be way better before the nerf but still possible to go into the cave and kill everything.

Caves with Saber/Wolf are very good as well as spino on tilobites.......

I find the Spino has a tendency to send the trilobites flying somewhat....I love using a Giga....it literally one bites any trilobite and for around 30 min to an hour I can get 3-4k stacks of chitin and such.....

As for CP I am sooooo in love with a frog..tame a lvl 110 plus with good taming effectiveness and dump tons of points in melee and you have a monster CP farmer- my frog had like 500% + damage - I would go into swamp- kill a snake and leave it their as it attracts bugs then go to town on them- kill one or two of the dragonflies and it attracts more. High melee damage frog will let you hop around the swamp not fearing anything.....

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:18 AM, griffindahouze said:

Step 1: Tame Frog (high level recommended)

Step 2: Go to Swamp

Step 3: Piss off Meganeura (dragonfly)

Step 4: Hop around the swamp

Step 5: Once you have a few chasing you, kill and harvest.

Step 6: Profit chitin and cementing paste.

Actually there is a better method to this but the frog is the best farmer for chitin imo but there's a tweak to how you do it.

Once you get the frog tamed and head to the swamp, look for where you see at least 1 meganeura running around.  Find then dino's near it you can lead close or kill in close proximity. DO NOT HARVEST THE CORPSE.  Let it sit there.

The meganeura will start eating it and almost always more will fly in from places you didn't even know they were You'll have in some cases 10 or more but the average is 3-6.

Once they eat up the corpse, their AI makes them fly low in a clump to the ground before they disperse away. Its at that point you kill them with your frog.  It also minimizes or even negates the knockback of the bugs and then makes them easy to mass harvest at once. Otherwise you have to hop around in a circle or two to harvest them.

Titanoboas and the other larger dinos seem to attract the most at once and last long enough to have them gather around it for this method. You can get similar results with dilo's or such but their corpses are eated faster than the mass of bugs can gather so you end up getting more dispersal of the bugs when have to kill and harvest their corpses.

All in all though the corpses attract them if they're in close proximity so pissing of single dragonflies is more tedious that grouping them up.

A secondary method works well on low pop low base sprawl servers where there are known spawns of groups of dino's fighting with each other such as in the coastal divide lines between the cold and warm zones or the far north eastern island etc.  There scorpions usually are in the masses and killing all the dinos yields not a small amount of chitin quick if you've got a good killing argent or quetz.  Then you fly out of rendering distance, wait a few seconds then fly back in and the next spawn group will be at it.  You rinse and repeat as desired. 

Trilobite farming works too or cave spelunking but it can be more tedious imo.

Archived