Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

6 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

That definitely runs parallel with the PvE side. On all the PvE servers I play on new players are helped along by the veterans. I really enjoy helping them out myself. All the older players have unlocked boxes with helpful items. Some even have buildings for them with crafting stations. I turned my original base into a noob safe haven. It has plant x turrets, running water, crafting stations, a behemoth gate taming pen in back, unlocked barns for dinos, refrigerators, and some other goodies.

Back when I first started in multiplayer I accidentally chose a server labeled PvPvE. It took me about a week to figure out it was PvP because of how decent the established tribes were. Within minutes of my character waking up for the first time I was approached by someone from the alpha tribe who gave me flak armor, a pike, a crossbow, tranq arrows, stone arrows, metal tools, and some other supplies.

Currently on my home server there is a whole lot of space for new people to build. On the fresh Ragnarok server I started out on it was pillars as far as the eye could see.

The best shot at ensuring new players are able to enjoy their introduction to ARK multiplayer is to make sure the veteran players are already established. Forcing new players to compete with veterans for building space is a recipe for failure.

You sir have vision kudos

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

That definitely runs parallel with the PvE side. On all the PvE servers I play on new players are helped along by the veterans. I really enjoy helping them out myself. All the older players have unlocked boxes with helpful items. Some even have buildings for them with crafting stations. I turned my original base into a noob safe haven. It has plant x turrets, running water, crafting stations, a behemoth gate taming pen in back, unlocked barns for dinos, refrigerators, and some other goodies.

Back when I first started in multiplayer I accidentally chose a server labeled PvPvE. It took me about a week to figure out it was PvP because of how decent the established tribes were. Within minutes of my character waking up for the first time I was approached by someone from the alpha tribe who gave me flak armor, a pike, a crossbow, tranq arrows, stone arrows, metal tools, and some other supplies.

Currently on my home server there is a whole lot of space for new people to build. On the fresh Ragnarok server I started out on it was pillars as far as the eye could see.

The best shot at ensuring new players are able to enjoy their introduction to ARK multiplayer is to make sure the veteran players are already established. Forcing new players to compete with veterans for building space is a recipe for failure.

Yes this is exactly as it is on 4 PVE servers I frequent and as a trader I visit dozens more.  One particular PVE server has a whole village devoted to the new players.  It has several houses and is walled and protected.  New players if they wish can get a pin code for one of the houses and base out of there until they work up enough tames and resources to build their own base, and they are then assisted in finding a good place to set up.  When Ragnarok first started you are right, the unnecessary land claiming for a fresh server was unreal and at least hourly there would be some n00b having a meltdown on chat and quitting.  Fresh servers are a hellhole for noobs and even now a week later doesnt look like subsiding on Ragnarok.

48 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

I'd modify  your statement thus:

The best shot at ensuring new players are able to enjoy their introduction to ARK multiplayer is to make sure the right veteran players are already established. Forcing new players to compete with veterans for building space is a recipe for failure.

But, therein lies the rub, how do you pick the right veteran players.  I guarantee that for every anecdote about decent vets making life easier for the guy waking up naked on a beach, there one about a guy, minding his business in his thatch hut that gets burned down by a fire drake....

5 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Then recycling the bottom 100 - 200 servers solves all the new player issues as long as they are transfer blocked for the first 3 months.

Nope permanently blocked. Not 3 months and not 1 year. I already said I was fine if they ended up doing servers for new players but 3 months would be no where near long enough for them to build up just to get demolished by the megas in 3 months, that's completely stupid. 3 months vs over 2 years? Nah it should be transfer locked for atleast 2 years

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Nope permanently blocked. Not 3 months and not 1 year. I already said I was fine if they ended up doing servers for new players but 3 months would be no where near long enough for them to build up just to get demolished by the megas in 3 months, that's completely stupid. 3 months vs over 2 years? Nah it should be transfer locked for atleast 2 years

The only thing that can be aquired after 3 months is experience.  After 3 months the same level of tames and structures can be achieved by whoever is on the isolated server.  Notably it is most likely that it would be experienced players taking over those servers in those three months anyway.  Which is also another reason why wipes wouldnt work because the experienced players will dominate regardless.

3 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Again we agree ? Maybe even let transfers out but not in so noobs could expand when ready

1 minute ago, DeningWei said:

The only thing that can be aquired after 3 months is experience.  After 3 months the same level of tames and structures can be achieved by whoever is on the isolated server.  Notably it is most likely that it would be experienced players taking over those servers in those three months anyway.  Which is also another reason why wipes wouldnt work because the experienced players will dominate regardless.

That makes no sense whatsoever. And no from new players it would not at all be possible for them to amass what the magas have right now in 3 months and that is why a wipe should happen. How could you think that new players could do that? No more weight glitch? No more infinity meat? No more water breeding? No more cheats that ever old player has used? 

Yeah keep talking buddy, but after that comment I am done talking to you.

even the old players couldn't redo everything in 3 months

9 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

That makes no sense whatsoever. And no from new players it would not at all be possible for them to amass what the magas have right now in 3 months and that is why a wipe should happen. How could you think that new players could do that? No more weight glitch? No more infinity meat? No more water breeding? No more cheats that ever old player has used? 

Yeah keep talking buddy, but after that comment I am done talking to you.

even the old players couldn't redo everything in 3 months

How are you assuming that only new players would be joining these fresh servers?  And megas could most definitely achieve a competitive force within 3 months.  They have done it before with much less time.

And no need to run in the face of experience and logic.

10 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

How are you assuming that only new players would be joining these fresh servers?  And megas could most definitely achieve a competitive force within 3 months.  They have done it before with much less time.

And no need to run in the face of experience and logic.

No, no, no, you didn't say competitive force, you said the same amount they had.

and that is the problem with new servers, they should be exclusive to post release buyers. As in if one of the megas wanted to go over there and still ruin things for the new people they would need to buy the game again.

thats the problem with you people. You are never happy with anything and just expect to have your way all the time.

5 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

No, no, no, you didn't say competitive force, you said the same amount they had.

and that is the problem with new servers, they should be exclusive to post release buyers. As in if one of the megas wanted to go over there and still ruin things for the new people they would need to buy the game again.

thats the problem with you people. You are never happy with anything and just expect to have your way all the time.

Well if they wanted to recycle some servers and reserve them for new customers then I don't see anything wrong with that.  Still though, there's going to be tough times for noobs as many tribes would just purchase new copies in order to feel like gods amongst the sea of noobs on the new servers.  It would limit the problem more than just wiping all official servers and be good business for wildcard as people purchase hordes of smurf accounts.

16 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Well if they wanted to recycle some servers and reserve them for new customers then I don't see anything wrong with that.  Still though, there's going to be tough times for noobs as many tribes would just purchase new copies in order to feel like gods amongst the sea of noobs on the new servers.  It would limit the problem more than just wiping all official servers and be good business for wildcard as people purchase hordes of smurf accounts.

Well if they are going the new server route it just needs to be that way. I know it is limited the problem but if they are going to wipe that's the only other solution. Atleast that way wildcard makes more money. Atleast some of the old players wouldn't go over there(unfortunately you can't stop them all) and the tribes that do pay to go be bad people atleast we can rest in the fact it costed them more money to do so.

Hello fellow survivors.

I created this thread to ask you your opinion on the matter. Does the fact that Wildcard nerfed Mind Wipes imply a wipe? It feels like that for me anyway. Because, as has been rightfully said players that are at endgame now have only 1 wipe left compared to people still climbing.

DO NOT turn this into a pro/anti mind wipe change thread. There are multiple of those already. Its OK to give your opinion about wether or not you want a wipe but keep it on the down low. I mostly want to hear if you people think this change (and possible future changes) means that WC intends to wipe and give everyone the same ammount of MindWipes by climbing back up.

Be respectful.

That argument makes zero sense to me.  If I want to get 100 mind wipes like a level 1 player can, all I have to do is roll a new character and get invited back to my tribe.  I can't imagine a single sane person thinking "Wow, glad everything was wiped out so now I get to start and I get to mind wipe 100 times..."  The only people who would justify a wipe for that reason are ones who want the wipe in the first place.

There needs to be a mechanism to mind wipe on some set interval or through some potentially expensive or time consuming method.

We just had a new stat added and changes to another, yet my level 100 character gets to try one configuration of stats before I'm forced to pick a permanent build.

I would argue that if a reuse interval isn't acceptable, then make a mind wipe reset everything and lower your xp to the start of the previous level.  I'd be willing to level from 99 to 100 again so long as I have the flexibility of changing my build if I absolutely have to.

3 minutes ago, eswimm said:

I would argue that if a reuse interval isn't acceptable, then make a mind wipe reset everything and lower your xp to the start of the previous level.  I'd be willing to level from 99 to 100 again so long as I have the flexibility of changing my build if I absolutely have to.

I like this idea, because it also means that I can force feed my unconscious enemies mind wipe until they are level 1.

30 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Hello fellow survivors.

I created this thread to ask you your opinion on the matter. Does the fact that Wildcard nerfed Mind Wipes imply a wipe? It feels like that for me anyway. Because, as has been rightfully said players that are at endgame now have only 1 wipe left compared to people still climbing.

DO NOT turn this into a pro/anti mind wipe change thread. There are multiple of those already. Its OK to give your opinion about wether or not you want a wipe but keep it on the down low. I mostly want to hear if you people think this change (and possible future changes) means that WC intends to wipe and give everyone the same ammount of MindWipes by climbing back up.

Be respectful.

Dont think so if anything it encourages players to make new characters i dont think being able to mindwipe is a high priority or calls for a wipe, also they are removing all current fish rods and nerfing bps obtained by them if anything that points to no wipe because why would they bother removing current rods 2 months before they would do said wipe

1 minute ago, OGCookies said:

Dont think so if anything it encourages players to make new characters i dont think being able to mindwipe is a high priority or calls for a wipe, also they are removing all current fish rods and nerfing bps obtained by them if anything that points to no wipe because why would they bother removing current rods 2 months before they would do said wipe

To see if they can fix the problem would it arise later on? I dont know... Good points tho

2 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Thats very possible but im sure they know they have the ability to remove and nerf items as its not the first time not saying definite no wipe but i like to think that ?

Well, regarding the ongoing duping that has been going on for over a year or the fact that there are still items out their with 560% durability (longneck) I'm starting to believe they have no idea to get rid of certain items, and that maybe they are tesing things...

39 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Hello fellow survivors.

Be respectful.

It probably does mean that. That is just one of many things that have happened that point to it

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived