Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

Well, looks like Mindwipe Tonic just joined Broth of Enlightenment in the "Consumable Graveyard". RIP.

18 hours ago, Bradley1928 said:

Someone said, name another game which lets you reset your stats? LITERALLY EVERY MMO. WoW, AA, Eve, GW2, etc....

Yep. Plenty of RPGs nowadays let you respec your char, even TES V: Skyrim allowed you to reset your perk points for the cost of a Dragon Soul with the Dragonborn expansion.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Xeeta said:

Thank you for that.  You essentially corroborated what I said.  A manageable cost to respecialization- something Ark already had in place.  MMO's did not put a cooldown on respec'ing- and any restrictions were zone-limited, i.e. you cannot respec in the middle of a PVP match.  That being said, a survival game means that you are expected to survive- to ADAPT to changing conditions and challenges.  Simple as that- but you keep trolling threads because that's literally all that I have ever seen you do here.

How am I trolling? Because I don't conform to the same belief as you? Funny how that's always the thoughts of somebody I debate with.

Most respecs in MMO's aren't manageable tho unless you have a serious amount of in game cash or willing to pay with real money.  You can't just willynilly change class or build as you see fit you have to seriously work towards it.. Ark (as it was) made it all too easy to respec, hell you could even respec at level 11 with minimal fuss if you liked.  Being able to do it a further 89 was just broken and lead to alot of abuse.

Take the new crafting skill for example, you respec and put 100 points into, weight, do a metal run and fill the ind forge with metal, respec, 100 points into speed and run a cave for silly amounts of cp, respec 100 points in crafting, you then get a 66% bonus to all crafted gear, make yourself and your tribe weapons and armor, some saddles for the dinos, respec all points into health and melee.  All of this at zero cost to yourself and effectively reducing the need for tribal roles, planning, risk and survival.

Now each member has to think ahead on how they wish to play the game and what role they play within their tribe and be smart about it.  Can only be a good thing for the game.

But yeah i'm trolling.

also why we're at it, any chance the devs can nerf the hell out of the xp boost given by the grinders and other work arounds.  Boosting from level 1-100 should not be doable in a day or two.  

It just seems so cheap to be a high level these days.  I started playing on release day for xbox and it took me 7 month to get to level 90, and I was the highest level on our server!  It made the game more exciting as it was a race to get higher levels, plus it brought tribes together as they would trade for building help when they was too low to build things themselves.

Now you can pick the game up today and be level 100 tomorrow.  Certainly needs looking at.

Maybe I'm missing something here but most of what I'm seeing is people wanting mindwipe to constantly respec their stats... ok, I guess that would make sense if they are on a PvP server, but if that is the reason that mindwipe is being changed then I guess my only question would be why? It seems that lately all the nerfs and changes are being brought about because people are complaining about things being overused/abused on PvP, well how exactly does that effect PvE? If PvP is the problem then make those changes on the PvP servers and leave PvE alone. And before anyone claims that it would be to hard to do I ask that you stop for a second and really think about it... if I'm on a PvE server and somebody decides to build right next to my base I can't just walk over to their structure and blow it up. With that in mind it wouldn't be hard to do the same thing with the mindwipe tonic. Have one setting for PvP and another for PvE.

24 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but most of what I'm seeing is people wanting mindwipe to constantly respec their stats...

Personally I haven't respecced more than 4-5 times since launch, for me its the fact that you get locked up with no possibility of change.
For all I care they could make the mindwipe recipe require Boss loot to be made, it's the final lock up that I want to avoid.
It was poor design back in the old MMOs and still is. Removing options should not be taken lightly.

13 hours ago, Zayisha said:

Serious Question: you are born after 1990, right? if not... shame on you. Another option: you are Hardcore Trolling.

I read a lot of stupid things in discussions on forum before, things that make me shake my head. things i would like to as the person "you are kidding me" or "seriously" if he/she was standing before me in personal.
Now, at least here in this discussion,i do this everytime i read BobRoss.

Not to mention the unprofessional and cheap flyer nerf mistake, here comes another one.

Got level 115? Congrats, you are screwed! Why? You still have a mind wipe. If by lvl 115 you still havent figured out how you should spec your character I'd say you have bigger problems than that...

- clicked on the wrong stat while leveling up? - You are screwed! Its not WC's problem you cannot click a mouse. 'Accidentally hit E, well screw you WC for making me fall to my death.'

- you learned all saddles. meanwhile you found BPs for all of them and now you want to build that "fill in any item". Sorry... not enough Engram points left! - You are screwed! Being lvl 115 and still learning saddles when you KNOW their will be Blueprints out there for all of them... 

- putting that new mod on your server with that nice deco things to build? can't do that. no Enough engram Points! - You are screwed! Ask your server host to grant more EP per level so you will have spare points when you decide to ass mods, this has nothing to do with WC and Official servers.

- something changes in this game and you realize a bit more of stat x and a bit less of stat y would be better with the new setting? - You are screwed! If the changes are too big WC will probably provide a mindwipe or just make all characters lvl 1, like with ascension. They arent demons, they will be reasonable.

Could go on for pages with those examples. now... think again if this change is so "wise" or "intelligent". Still havent convinced me at all as to why THIS change is worse than having to ability to respec your character unlimited times.

One mindwipe per level during level up phase? that's ok.
One mindwipe at level 115? stupid as hell.

Let Mindwipe work like before. On lvl115 (heck, you did alpha ascension) it doesn't matter if you mindwipe all 5 minutes. Implying mindwiping "all 5 minutes" would have mattered before the last patch, which it did not. It did, it made some dinos absolutely unnecessary, or some situations too easy. Oh i need to get an artifact, let me just spec all in HP stam and Melee. Oh i want to start building a pen, let me just spec 1k weight. 

Absolutely no commitment required and absolutely no thought process or decision making required when speccing your character.

2 hours ago, Dark2084 said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but most of what I'm seeing is people wanting mindwipe to constantly respec their stats... ok, I guess that would make sense if they are on a PvP server, but if that is the reason that mindwipe is being changed then I guess my only question would be why? It seems that lately all the nerfs and changes are being brought about because people are complaining about things being overused/abused on PvP, well how exactly does that effect PvE? If PvP is the problem then make those changes on the PvP servers and leave PvE alone. And before anyone claims that it would be to hard to do I ask that you stop for a second and really think about it... if I'm on a PvE server and somebody decides to build right next to my base I can't just walk over to their structure and blow it up. With that in mind it wouldn't be hard to do the same thing with the mindwipe tonic. Have one setting for PvP and another for PvE.

Just because its PvE doesnt justify things being completely and utterly broken. We've had a really, REALLY long discussion just like this on the flyer nerf. 

'Well, who am I harming on my PvE server when I fly around in my fighterjets one shotting everything?' If you cannot see the problem with this you are part of the problem.

4 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

something, something troll like ;)

Jokes above obv, agree with you

I don't see the problem with all of this tbh, people moaning they can only respec once at level 115, big deal! Either have the common sense to know what your build should be for your play style by then and understand you can't be a magical interchangeable tool (tool - useful word in this respect) within a survival game.

If you messed up again when you hit 115 and want a respec just run the ascension cave again, that is a thing right?  

Just now, Maahes said:

Unless it changed in the last patch you do not get reset to 1 when you ascend (at least I didn't on beta).

You could be right, I have only done it the once and haven't attempted again I just assumed the initial idea for ascension was you could do it as many times as you like constantly increasing your level, unless that's what they intend in the future.

1 minute ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Jokes above obv, agree with you

I don't see the problem with all of this tbh, people moaning they can only respec once at level 115, big deal! Either have the common sense to know what your build should be for your play style by then and understand you can't be a magical interchangeable tool (tool - useful word in this respect) within a survival game.

If you messed up again when you hit 115 and want a respec just run the ascension cave again, that is a thing right?  

I just dont get these people. They are either playing unofficial where you hit 100 in a day and do the boss fights solo with boosted stat servers because when i played official i was lvl 85 after like 8 months of playing. By then I had a good idea about how i was going to build my character and only needed to mindwipe once to respec. If ofcourse you hit max lvl in 1 day you will have no idea how you should spec your character and I can understand its frustrating BUT thats not WCs fault. Thats your fault for playing a broken server.

If you do play official and after lvl 100 you still have no idea how you should play this game or what style you want to play then yeah, I dont think X ammount of Mind Wipes will help you

1 minute ago, BobRoss said:

I just dont get these people. They are either playing unofficial where you hit 100 in a day and do the boss fights solo with boosted stat servers because when i played official i was lvl 85 after like 8 months of playing. By then I had a good idea about how i was going to build my character and only needed to mindwipe once to respec. If ofcourse you hit max lvl in 1 day you will have no idea how you should spec your character and I can understand its frustrating BUT thats not WCs fault. Thats your fault for playing a broken server.

If you do play official and after lvl 100 you still have no idea how you should play this game or what style you want to play then yeah, I dont think X ammount of Mind Wipes will help you

That's the thing tho you can hit 100 on official in a day or two also, one of my tribe mates brought his brother in the other day and set up 3 grinders in our base, gave him a number of broths and just kept pumping stone into the grinders for him, I came home later that night and he was already level 91, hadn't even moved out of our base.

That mechanic in itself is broke and your'e right, people who abuse that and speed boost themselves too high levels are probably the ones who are complaining because they clearly have no clue other than, "oh ill try this today, wheres a tonic so i can change my stats"

9 hours ago, Gizardpuke said:

actually thats a good point made by someone on steam forums. limiting mind wipe to 1 per level is very restrictive. wouldnt another good idea have been making it over the top expensive? you end up with a similar situation where it costs too much to make.

make it need like 5k of each vege, 20k narcotics, 20k stimulants, 100k fiber and 50k mejo berries. 

that will slow its liberal use down.

edit: infact, if you wanted to go even further, add 20k bio toxin for poops and giggles.

I want to know what cooker you have to make this brew

6 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

That's the thing tho you can hit 100 on official in a day or two also, one of my tribe mates brought his brother in the other day and set up 3 grinders in our base, gave him a number of broths and just kept pumping stone into the grinders for him, I came home later that night and he was already level 91, hadn't even moved out of our base.

That mechanic in itself is broke and your'e right, people who abuse that and speed boost themselves too high levels are probably the ones who are complaining because they clearly have no clue other than, "oh ill try this today, wheres a tonic so i can change my stats"

Yeah, well they have no right to complain. They choose to 'cheat' the game and ended up inexperienced but high lvl. They should bear the consequences.

2 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

I don't think its just people who abuse grinders, XP seems to be much faster coming these days than 8 months ago.

7 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I just dont get these people.

For me its about the fact it becomes impossible at some point.  I've not used a mindwipe yet, but I know that at somepoint I will want to change up how I play.  Experiment, try different play styles.  I've spent months on the same character and the thought of starting again from scratch each time I want to mix it up is not appealing.  Locking people into one playstyle is just old-fashioned thinking.  

And honestly I think the reason behind this change is that they want to stop people switching every 5 mins for different tasks, and there are plenty of other ways of doing that.  Unless a dev comes on here and states for the record why they made the change the way they made it we will all have our own assumptions.

3 minutes ago, Maahes said:

I don't think its just people who abuse grinders, XP seems to be much faster coming these days than 8 months ago..

Couldn't agree more, like I said it feels cheap being higher levels now.  Get people on our server bragging they hit 100 in less than a week and get cheeky, they soon learn when we raid them and they don't have a clue what to do as they've only played it a week or so xD

First I want to commend WC for the work they put into this game to make it better unlike many other early access games i've played over the years. They made a really hard choice about the uses of a mindwipe tonic and personally its one I can get on board with. After playing EvE Online for over 7 years im quite used to thinking well ahead of time when planning what I wanted to spec into. Not just fill every role I could because I got a free respec card in the form of a mindwipe tonic. This requires people to work together to achieve a common goal of being an Alpha Tribe. I've been lurking these forums for quite sometime reading the hot topics and leaning on my years of experience playing other MMO's to make the best choices for playing on the official servers after a short stint of hosting my own private cluster, which I grew quickly bored of. I have logged over 1600 hours since I purchased ARK and legit ground every level from 1 including the end bosses which are a HUGE PITA but with proper team work they can be done.

For those of you, who in my eyes are entitled whiners I have little to no sympathy for you and the long term decisions you make should effect the end game. This forces us to each choose a role like many other successful MMO's which could either make or break us in the long term. Buck up, adapt to change and overcome what lies ahead or move over to let someone else who can handle it take over. Once again great JOB WC I look forward to release and experiencing some massive PvP without all the whining, floating babies, mindwiping at a whim and the various other fixes you made to make the pvp experience better.

This is a horrible idea! I don't use them often but sometimes it's a necessity to mindwipe to learn an engram cause the person that knows the engram isn't online or hasn't been on in awhile or for various jobs in and around base like re organizing the bases contents or unloading heavy things from Dino's or whatever. I'd gladly take another flyer nerf over this new mechanic

Now that I am lvl 100, I am a bit torn on this one. I agree that being able to respec on the fly was a bit ridiculous. For PVE though, there wasn't a whole ton of benefit from doing so, IMHO. 

I would rather that you can still respec with some kind of xp penalty or with a cooldown as mentioned previously. The introduction of the new crafting skill is one of the main points I believe this change was balanced around. 

If you went the cooldown route, I would say 1 respec per week or month should be sufficient to balance things out.

Just my 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, Jrminot said:

Now that I am lvl 100, I am a bit torn on this one. I agree that being able to respec on the fly was a bit ridiculous. For PVE though, there wasn't a whole ton of benefit from doing so, IMHO. 

I would rather that you can still respec with some kind of xp penalty or with a cooldown as mentioned previously. The introduction of the new crafting skill is one of the main points I believe this change was balanced around. 

If you went the cooldown route, I would say 1 respec per week or month should be sufficient to balance things out.

Just my 2 cents.

Or perhaps some sort of tek that would grant us the ability to remap certain attributes

Archived