Let's talk about the Griffin

Ulta

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

I have yet to use per-pixel painting mechanic, actually. Dye washes off in the rain?

No it doesn't. On PC painting isn't really that hard, and dare I say can be kinda fun (though most results will look like MS Paint works). Dunno about consoles though.

Besides color mutations are so much cleaner and nicer looking. I'd never take painting them over getting the colors naturally.

On 6/12/2017 at 6:56 PM, Ulta said:

That isn't an excuse. If they can do great animation with newer dino's, I see no reason why they wouldn't give another pass to the older dino animations. It might not be a high priority, but it would be super lovley if they did. We KNOW they can do it...whether they will or not is left to be seen.

I've tested the unused kibbles so far (Moth and Kapro Egg kibble). Neither worked, only gave 3% taming and dropped effectiveness to 96%. It's kibble is either a reused one in the large list of kibbles, or something else entirely.

Did you try spider kibble? That one isn't used yet either.

4 minutes ago, Ulta said:

There's not a spawn code for Spider egg kibble either, at least not on the wiki.

I've been busy so I've not been able to do anymore kibble tests. I heard allo kibble was the right one, at least that's what the wiki is saying.

Its allo kibble.

Source: we tamed like 3 145+ ones with it.

2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Its allo kibble.

Source: we tamed like 3 145+ ones with it.

Gotcha. I changed my first post then to reflect this.

So for everyone who's on PVP servers, how is the Griffin affecting raids? Is it the new Ptera? Did it revitalize the picking wars? Or are it's stats too sucky for it to be a good mount for battle?

PVE I ain't even asking because it's lovely as is for PVE. I really want it to be able to breed at some point...hoping it's not being a nuisance in PVP which will make WC nerf it to the ground or keep it unbreedable...

The bonus speed isn't a glitch and the picking wars won't be back.

Why? They have a terrible turn radius the speed dive would require a lot of skill to fly just right to be able to pick a player up. You could dodge that pretty easily :) 

Also the speed bonus is only after a dive which can go wrong if not done right (damage to player when hitting the ground) and it doesn't last long.

Please don't nerf it :) 

19 hours ago, Smash said:

Am I the only one who noticed they have an insane health pool.  I summoned one yesterday at 150 and it came out with 11k health.  That's insane on the fastest flyer in the game.

11k hp without a saddle is the same as 5500hp with a 25 armor primitive saddle or 2200hp with a good 100 armor saddle.  So it has about half the effective health pool of a good Argy with decent saddle (ignoring imprinting which is another huge bonus).  Roughly on par with a Ptera (no imprinting).

So overall it's ok, but nothing special.

My main concern with the Griffin is how badly it steps on the Tapj's head. All the Tap has over it is a 3rd seat, mid-air turning, backwards movement, and saddle/breeding access. So it sorta makes the Tapj look boring now. Every other flyer has a function over Griff except the Tapj. I guess slightly more controlled movement is its thing. If only they made it to where the rider and passenger couldn't shoot their own mount then maybe the Tapj front passenger could be able to shoot things without headshotting and killing the Tapj.

8 minutes ago, Yig said:

My main concern with the Griffin is how badly it steps on the Tapj's head. All the Tap has over it is a 3rd seat, mid-air turning, backwards movement, and saddle/breeding access. So it sorta makes the Tapj look boring now. Every other mount has a function over Griff except the Tapj. I guess slightly more controlled movement is its thing. If only they made it to where the rider and passenger couldn't shoot their own mount then maybe the Tapj front passenger could be able to shoot things without headshotting and killing the Tapj.

Can the griff grab onto walls/redwoods/cliffs like the tape can? Just curious.

Has anyone raced a tape and a griff to compare the difference in speed? What about stamina how do their stamina's compare base/per tame level/per wild level/time it takes to refill? 

There may be a little more difference between them than originally believed.

7 minutes ago, Yig said:

My main concern with the Griffin is how badly it steps on the Tapj's head. All the Tap has over it is a 3rd seat, mid-air turning, backwards movement, and saddle/breeding access. So it sorta makes the Tapj look boring now. Every other mount has a function over Griff except the Tapj. I guess slightly more controlled movement is its thing. If only they made it to where the rider and passenger couldn't shoot their own mount then maybe the Tapj front passenger could be able to shoot things without headshotting and killing the Tapj.

Aren't you forgetting something about the tapejara? land on walls? also it's turn radius is waaaaaaaaaaay better.

Only thing the griffin has more is that dive with aoe attack or speed boost :)

Biggest game changer on a Griff is the ability to use a weapon on the back. Personally, I kinda feel the Griffin getting a passenger slot feels very odd to me. Without that, it wouldn't seem to similar at all to a Tapj.

I actually like that u can shoot from the back of a griff though, you can finally tame a Quetz solo without luck or weird gimmicks. Oddly enough though, the tap was the previous method of taming a quetz though short a argent carrying someone.

4 minutes ago, Yig said:

Ah, good point about the wall grabbing aspect. That is something else it has over it. Currently Tapj has 700 base movement and i think 1200 sprint. Griff is 750 (highest unsprinted speed short of the Wyvern) and 1500 speed. Interestingly, Ptera has 600 base and 1800 sprint.

Good to know, It seems for people who use the tape it probably wouldn't hurt to mix in a couple of griff and then have best of both. Maybe the easy solution for larger tribes. For smaller ones like myself where I play mostly solo I would have to use both and see how they compare in stats. Unfortunately I am on PS4 and will have to wait.. So I need to live through others who will hopefully fully test their abilities and compare to pre-existing flyers.

Archived