Post Cool things about the new Underwater Base system!

ShinigamiGreed

So I'm LOVING this part of the recent update, so I thought I'd leave a few helpful tips, hints. and what not for peoiple who have, or have not messed around with it yet.

- Vacuum Chambers are INSANELY durable, to the point they only take 800 damage from C4.  On a structure that have 50000 health, that's an incredible amount of durability, and the transformable nature of the cubes makes it so that you can shut off the rest of your base from a damaged portion easily.

- Teleporters take 5x5 rooms of vacuum chambers to set down, just incase you were wondering.

- The new vault size fits easily.  Hurrah for the new vaults!

- Flooding a chamber or opening the floor will not destroy any structures, neither will your generator losing power or being shut off.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/155779454936714008/EED501731DF4C59333021FC6C35B939AB07EA200/

- Still trying to brainstorm how to make an effective underwater dock.  I can only imagine the amount a normal tribe would have to spend to enclose and protect a Mosa underwater would be absolutely insane from what I've seen.  To say nothing of a Tuso.

I love the Tek generator, it's perfect for admins <3.  But yeah, I can understand that.  Unfortunately, I don't see another way they could have done it, at least not without it be horrifically broken in some way or another.  These bases are nearly unraidable, but the flip to that is that they're terrible for launching a raid from. 

But seriously, the wireless Tek generator is a godsend.  It takes quite a while to actually go through a stack, too, which is a plus.

27 minutes ago, ShinigamiGreed said:

These bases are nearly unraidable

A Rex or Mosa Saddle will go through a 10x10x10 Tek Base in less element then it takes to make the Tek Generator, let alone the building pieces.

Like the Tek Building pieces themselves, we can chalk Underwater Tek Bases to being mainly aesthetic, with almost no realistic longevity outside of PvE. Not to mention the crippling Element costs to actually make and maintain one. 

49 minutes ago, Kallor said:

I was looking forward to underwater building but then they tied it to an element powered generator which basically ruined it.  So my list of "cool things" is zero long.

Yep well over a year worth of waiting from a whisper of underwater bases to .....big disapointment lane.  Not only is it tied to the already overdone tek stuff but so far they havent even made an attempt at a lower tech alternative. Even if it was limited to to shallow water with water pipes serving as air pipes instead i'd take it (especially a primitive alternative )

2 minutes ago, Dracul said:

Yep well over a year worth of waiting from a whisper of underwater bases to .....big disapointment lane.  Not only is it tied to the already overdone tek stuff but so far they havent even made an attempt at a lower tech alternative. Even if it was limited to to shallow water with water pipes serving as air pipes instead i'd take it (especially a primitive alternative )

That is why I was saying they never should have brought tek tier into the game.

7 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

I was looking forward to it as well but then tek tier ruined it so I gave up my dreams of living under the sea

To be fair, living in an underwater pearl cave is probably much better then living in a tek building. At least you can defend a cave. Tek Buildings are nearly indefensible by their very nature of being tek buildings. 

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, iAmE said:

To be fair, living in an underwater pearl cave is probably much better then living in a tek building. At least you can defend a cave. Tek Buildings are nearly indefensible by their very nature of being tek buildings. 

you cant see outside and see the creatures swimming bye lol... I already live in a cave underwater the 6x damage sucks. So no reason to be fair when tek tier ruined my dreams of looking out seeing dolphins swim by.

8 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

you cant see outside and see the creatures swimming bye lol... I already live in a cave underwater the 6x damage sucks. So no reason to be fair when tek tier ruined my dreams of looking out seeing dolphins swim by.

If someone starts blowing your walls theyre gonna raid you. The hard part is the turrets. 6x is just a nice little convenience

your all judging the Tek stuff before its even out give it time guys come on. When the full tileset of structures etc is out and Tek caves which if like the other caves will be ridiculously easy just as all content in ark is. If you dont want to progress to tek tier thats fine just dont complain that others are. 

My biggest gripe is no tek on the center.

• Volunteer Moderator

20170410074623_1.jpg
Here is my base on my server currently. I love the underwater base. Sadly there are some cons to it.

Cons

• You can't put a flyer in it currently (hoping that gets fixed soon).
  • You can't flood a room with powered objects like lamps refrigerator AC units and such they will no longer work (Which I hope gets fixed also).
  • The Element required to run a large base ranges from 20 to 25 element a day.
  • Tek Generators are loud
  • The underwater cube  leaves behind a lot of support beams that are annoying to no end.
  • Sometimes the blocks are not locked to you
  • You can't admin only the blocks.

Pros

•  You get way better fps normally. 
  • No one comes near you usually,
  • You don't contribute to land building spam.
  • It is fun
  • You can basically live underwater for a long period of time if you have a farm setup.
  • You are hidden away.
  • You can black out the base so no one can see in or out.
  • You can paint them any color.
  • You can fit rexes within 2 blocks high!

This is just me giving my opinion but I think they are worth it overall if your playing on a good pve server with rates slightly boosted its amazing. If your on official I can't imagine what a nightmare it is to build and maintain.

1 hour ago, 1david25 said:

If your on official I can't imagine what a nightmare it is to build and maintain.

You don't have to imagine.Given that bosses are, designed, to be impossible to beat on Official Servers, underwater bases are basically the same thing. Impossible to get by design. I've played with them, and could make them on Official, but exploiting got me there. 

2 hours ago, 1david25 said:

Cons

• You can't flood a room with powered objects like lamps refrigerator AC units and such they will no longer work (Which I hope gets fixed also).

If your house gets flooded, do you expect your fridge to keep working as nothing happened ? 

I would have expected them to give us underwater bases without going to TEK stuff.

My idea would have been to give us an electronic-based water pump. Require metal buildings (resistance to atmospheric pressure). Limit in size per pump. So a 5x5 base, two walls high can be maintained with a single pump. A 8x8 requires 2, a 10x10 3 pumps and so on. Heck, require that each pump has its own gasoline powered energy source and uses more power the bigger the air lock needed is. 

Archived