Buy Plots for Bases - No More Pillaring, Cleared Paths, No Resources Blocked

Super Fab

The principal idea is that you own a lot. You must pay a fee to maintain it, could be various resources or a lot of a single resource - either way bigger lots will require more 'rent'. The more plots you own, the more it cost. So your initial lot wont cost that much, but your second one will be a noticeable difference. This is to keep large tribes from owning half the map and for tribes that only come on to reset timers - well they might want to pack their bags thus allowing new tribes to settle in.

You'd still be able to connect lots together to form one giant base, I'm a builder.. I'd hate to feel very confined, but that's assuming that there's a lot next to you to be bought to begin with. It would allow Wildcard to totally limit how many lots a tribe could own so 1 tribe doesnt on 30. Same goes for unofficial servers and even PVP

The other brilliant side to this is pillaring and farming. Wildcard wants us to use land dinos far more, they want caravans and all sorts of stuff. That's really great but with so much of the map in its current state - that's a really tall order. Some areas on my maps are 100% blocked, other areas you have to go a very long way to get to them. Solution is to have paths, even stone roads where no one can build. 

This solution would solve many problems, and for those that are so eager to see maps wiped.. well they'd have no choice. I really think the build anywhere part of Ark is why it's so great but that shouldn't be literally anywhere above ground. 

Well, base locations after the nerf are going to be more important for gameplay than ever before, that's for sure. Boats are going to be the new meta. 

Ankys and such will still be able to be carried by quetzals, as far as im concerned, and other animals, so you can still get over large areas that are totally blocked off. As far as rexes, parecers, etc, idk. 

To the OP: I still don't see how this is going to fully eradicate the problem your referring to though. Plots can still be chosen in critical areas that otherwise block off parts of the map. Taxing the size is irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Nerf doesnt mean that they will be completely removed.

Flyers will still be able to fly, and you will need more of them to haul stuff, and they will be a bit more vulnerable but thats about it.

Flyers wont be able to carry certain dinos they used to be able to carry such as a rex. How do you get a rex over a behemoth gate or two when you dont have a quetzal platform to use? Another is metal farming, you can use caravans but for those tribes that dont have that luxury, it's going to make things a lot harder for them.

Not to mention my main point of them wanting players to use land dinos far more, that's really the entire point to paths, not the fact that a ptera will have reduced stamina but that they want heavy usage of land dinos. 

I haven't tried it for a while but do monkeys still open gates?

And in all seriousness, being official means that nobody is allowed to block content.  If someone has gates somewhere and you can't get around them then remind them nicely that they are blocking you.  If they won't listen then remind them they are violating the TOS.  And if they still won't listen then take lots of screenshots and a video and submit a ticket.  It might take a while (sometimes one day, sometimes 2 weeks) but a gm will eventually arrive and give them a bad day.

Plots can still be chosen in critical areas

I'm not trying to be rude but you 100% skipped over what I said in this regard. One of the biggest reasons for plots is so that major resources ie metal cannot be blocked, it'd be impossible. You wouldn't put metal inside a plot.. DILO is the point if it was? 

Boats are going to be the new meta. 

Boats can only have so many structures on them, not to mention the fact that most metal on TC at least are in areas that are blocked / high up thus still need a flyer.

Ankys and such will still be able to be carried by quetzals

Yes... pteras will still be able to fly, argys will still be able to kill. That's totally true but the point you're missing is that there's going to be a nerf to speed at around 50% which is a big deal with quetzal and that any dino carrying another dino will get have more carry weight. 

Literally as I'm writing - an example of how paths would be useful:

Instead of inventing a new mechanic of 'buying plots', the same result could be achieved by combining existing mechanics. For example, start by introducing one new simple structure for claiming territory that only does one thing: implements the build-block using the same mechanic used by pillars and foundations. Call it an Obelisk or Boundary Stone. However, this new structure also consumes a difficult-to-farm resource over time and stops functioning if it runs out of fuel. The more of these structures a tribe has, the faster they consume fuel.

After this has been introduced, the next patch can simply remove the build-blocking mechanic from existing pillars/foundations.

As for fuel, a semi-rare, no-tamable dino could be used, but it needs to be easy enough to obtain to give new players a chance, and difficult enough to farm en mass to have the desired effect. Optionally maybe consume artifacts, where the harder to acquire ones increase the range of effect or something.

4 hours ago, Super Fab said:

I'm not trying to be rude but you 100% skipped over what I said in this regard. One of the biggest reasons for plots is so that major resources ie metal cannot be blocked, it'd be impossible. You wouldn't put metal inside a plot.. DILO is the point if it was? 

Boats can only have so many structures on them, not to mention the fact that most metal on TC at least are in areas that are blocked / high up thus still need a flyer.

Yes... pteras will still be able to fly, argys will still be able to kill. That's totally true but the point you're missing is that there's going to be a nerf to speed at around 50% which is a big deal with quetzal and that any dino carrying another dino will get have more carry weight. 

Literally as I'm writing - an example of how paths would be useful:

No. You kind of failed to elaborate on your ideas which is why I said what I said. Now, after you elaborating a bit more on your commentary, I'm assuming you mean that WC is going to designate land as 'plots' that can be purchased and make them cost a price per time period (aka tax). Certain areas however, including resource spawn areas that include metal, will not be given the plot mechanic so that they cannot be built on. I'm also assuming that areas leading to resource spawns or around landmarks and such will also not be plotted so that land Dino's can travel to and from. So essentially, WC is going to spend god knows how much time making a network of unplotted land so that travel is easier for land Dino's- As if people can't block access through some of these passageways  with Dino's, etc. I can think of a dozen ways where this would just enable trolls lol. The only other option would be for WC to specifically decide on say, 50-100 specific places on the map that can actually be built on, but that robs us of our freedom to build where we please. Sandbox mode for a reason. 

Also, no one cares about the speed or weight nerf if you can still carry Dino's over obstacles. More tedious? Sure! But that's the point of this thread, along with resource blocking, is it not?

So, I said that for now on.. boats will probably be the new meta for transporting LARGE animals across the map in some instances. Mainly for the center- and that it's therefore gonna be in everyone's best interest to build near the ocean or river to have access to water ways and such so that transporting Dino's that now can't be carried by a quetzal platform, is easier in some scenarios. All I said lol 

I like your idea, don't get me wrong, but I see WAY to many problems as a result. 

8 hours ago, Super Fab said:

Flyers wont be able to carry certain dinos they used to be able to carry such as a rex. How do you get a rex over a behemoth gate or two when you dont have a quetzal platform to use? Another is metal farming, you can use caravans but for those tribes that dont have that luxury, it's going to make things a lot harder for them.

Not to mention my main point of them wanting players to use land dinos far more, that's really the entire point to paths, not the fact that a ptera will have reduced stamina but that they want heavy usage of land dinos. 

Ever heard about Rafts? Can travel pretty much anywhere on The Island.

Also devs haven't said anything about removing quetzal platform... yet. Stop assuming things and then complaining as if they are truth.

Archived