Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

I think you are overestimating the discussion on Reddit.  I've been following it closely since the war between Chem B and Spartans where Chem B were caught cheating and banned.  It's not every second thread it's more one every page or so and it's the same people pushing the issue.  Go check the posters, they are either chem B or they are new accounts a few days old.

Chem B is just butthurt they got banned and are now just trying to get some kind of outrage started on Reddit.  They want to beat Spartans the only way they can now that they were caught duping.  With a server wipe.  They even said they will try to fill as many servers as possible with duped materials to make that happen.  Don't fall for it, they are just salty.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/03/2017 at 3:37 PM, JetJaguar said:

it sucks to not know if everything will be gone at release...or if it will still remain.

To be honest, while you're playing an EA title you should expect to lose everything as anything could go wrong. Now if it's a final release then they say we need to wipe, people have the right to nuts over it.

I have found a solution. Why not, keep all servers as is. All current servers enter a closed cluster, could be named "Legacy Servers". When servers in legacy drop below 5 pop on average. They get a two week notice of eviction. Then the server is wiped and put into the new server area.

Legacy servers would not be able to transfer to non legacy servers. Upon release they drop 500 servers for each game type for each map and go from there. They could add more or subtract some based on populations.

This would allow people to have their cake AND eat it too. 

32 minutes ago, CriD said:

I have found a solution. Why not, keep all servers as is. All current servers enter a closed cluster, could be named "Legacy Servers". When servers in legacy drop below 5 pop on average. They get a two week notice of eviction. Then the server is wiped and put into the new server area.

Legacy servers would not be able to transfer to non legacy servers. Upon release they drop 500 servers for each game type for each map and go from there. They could add more or subtract some based on populations.

Sounds fine to me as long as legacy will NEVER be able to joint non legacy. Not even after a year. Just never

• Volunteer Moderator

Finally finished a poll of my tribe and alliance tribe.

out of 32 people on pvp server.

11 would stay and rebuild 

21 ....would stop playing

Out of those 32 people only 2 wanted a wipe the rest did not.

we aren't a alpha tribe but we have worked hard to build. All of us are working adults over the age of 21. We would all buy a new dlc and content although we love the game it's just bs to go back on no wipe for most of them. And they would rather move on in life then spend anymore money on a team that goes back on its word. These are just the results from a small portion of players. Although I could care less wipe or not it's pretty clear a lot are against it in this small circle.  Do what you want devs but you should let us know sooner then last minute. It only increases the rage.

I hope that all the people who can't grasp EA and wiping progress at the end, which is the current standard, would simply not participate in any in the future.

Its like...even if the game cost $100. Most of you have probably gotten far more then your monies worth. Far more then any other game. If they made us re buy it....I'd still do it. Why, because at over 1000 hours, closer to 2000. I have never had so much enjoyment so cheaply.

For all those against a server wipe. You think your money spent, will be any different then the new people who have literally 0 chance to catch up. Hell, most of the people in here have been trolled, wiped by alphas. Yet you guys who have seen their distruction, you all are like..screw the new people. They can probably manage.

I saw earlier in the thread, where someone said that the people pushing for a wipe, they thought were salty players who had been wiped themselves. I think its the opposite, aside from pve players, which I have no comment on, aside from them, most PvP players against it are probably scared they won't be able to hold whatever seat of power you currently are. Some tyrannical alphas are only there due to having wiped there home server before transfers, stocked up on items while playing "solo" ark.

A wipe, or my suggestion earlier would benefit. Half the tribes that have big alliances on a servr, form one mega tribe. Start fresh with that in mind. 

Seriously, anyone who thinks wiping the servers will accomplish anything will be super sadly mistaken if they actually do. I'm HOPING Wild Card are smarter than that and know damn well that a capable tribe of even as small as 7-8 people could have a metal fortress built and an entire server taken over in a matter of days. A mega tribe? Matter of hours. And this is with 0 cheating involved. People who don't understand this simply do not have enough experience/knowledge about how the game works.

1 hour ago, CriD said:

Yep, this is pretty much what I was going for. No real reason to start doing that until they've sorted out all of the issues though.

The main reason that I think they'll absolutely do this is that it will cost them virtually nothing (they have the technology to separate cluster right now). As those legacy servers die off they're re purposed to where they're needed.

If WC has a successful full launch (or even expects one) they'll need to add a bunch more servers anyway, so in my mind, why actually wipe much of anything, just make sure there are no transfers to the new servers from the EA servers. If it's really that expensive to run servers, sure wipe the low population EA ones, but as long as they're active there's really no reason to wipe.

In fact, keeping those legacy servers probably actually improves the early experience for full release players. You know there are going to be bitter folks clubbing newbies on the beach for days to share the misery - experience does matter a little bit.

18 minutes ago, Myj said:

Seriously, anyone who thinks wiping the servers will accomplish anything will be super sadly mistaken if they actually do. I'm HOPING Wild Card are smarter than that and know damn well that a capable tribe of even as small as 7-8 people could have a metal fortress built and an entire server taken over in a matter of days. A mega tribe? Matter of hours. And this is with 0 cheating involved. People who don't understand this simply do not have enough experience/knowledge about how the game works.

Without transfers, how can anyone take over a server in a matter of hours? Unless you mean transferring in 50+ people so no one can get in - that would work.

Also, if you wipe/introduce new servers, you'd have multiple groups like you described all fighting each other for dominance - maybe you're tribe is just that much better than everyone else, but that's not usually going to be settled in a few days. That's not a dig at all, btw, of course you're going to come to be the most powerful tribe on the server quickly if you're the best 7-8 player group on the server, as it should be.

Maybe our definition of the "entire server taken over" is different, but if what you were saying was true on average, every server should be taken over now. That certainly hasn't been my experience; I'd describe most official PvP servers I play on much more as open war zones than taken over. Are there Alphas sure, but things are constantly changing hands (especially with transfers in).

Not every EA title does a wipe. Some that do a wipe don't do a full wipe. Some that do a full wipe give the testers a bonus (sometimes cosmetic, sometimes not) over new players. Others do a full wipe every major patch for part of the development, and then stop when they don't need to anymore because the major components of the game are set.

There is no "industry standard." You can't even say there's a genre standard because most of the survival games that released in early access are still in early access. Some will never leave early access, others might eventually.

Think of the holiday events Ark has had. Those were not just testing. Initially they might have been, but then they became a reward for playing during that time of the year. The game has not played like a "Just testing" phase in quite some time, and considering that it's been over a year since they said "No, we're not wiping servers at launch" it would be a huge slap in the face for those who have dedicated their time to playing and testing the game during that time.

5 hours ago, Captnmorgan said:

Finally finished a poll of my tribe and alliance tribe.

out of 32 people on pvp server.

11 would stay and rebuild 

21 ....would stop playing

Out of those 32 people only 2 wanted a wipe the rest did not.

we aren't a alpha tribe but we have worked hard to build. All of us are working adults over the age of 21. We would all buy a new dlc and content although we love the game it's just bs to go back on no wipe for most of them. And they would rather move on in life then spend anymore money on a team that goes back on its word. These are just the results from a small portion of players. Although I could care less wipe or not it's pretty clear a lot are against it in this small circle.  Do what you want devs but you should let us know sooner then last minute. It only increases the rage.

I get that is how the 21 feel but at the same time there is a very good chance half of those 21 are saying that but are just as addicted as we all are and would probably still stay and rebuild.

it would bring a new rush to the top like when the game first came out. Everybody has lost stuff in this game. Its not meant to last forever 

4 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

I get that is how the 21 feel but at the same time there is a very good chance half of those 21 are saying that but are just as addicted as we all are and would probably still stay and rebuild.

it would bring a new rush to the top like when the game first came out. Everybody has lost stuff in this game. Its not meant to last forever 

I think that would be negated by the effect that a lot of people are motivated to play because of what they have.  If they lost it all they might actually like having the spare time to play other games.

12 hours ago, Myj said:

why do you assume wiping would be to get rid of alphas and megas? there were always alphas and mega and there will always be from this point on. but they will have to work for it the same as everyone else will have to, through legit means and not by duping exploiting or through methods that are no longer in the game. 

12 hours ago, omnikevfka said:

wiping may fix Mega tribes? what about breeders that have spent months getting their stats and colors. that dont give a poop about war. just saying

thats a really selfish reason not to wipe. what about all the new players that waited for release? they just have to come onto your server that is already at tame and platform cap? that's a fun way to start a game...

I think making exclusive clean server for those who buy the game after the release could be nice and unlock them for us after a month for those who wanna change server.these guys could prepare themselves if hey leave or stay take stock and dino through obelisk so no one should complain...maybe look weird way to do but everytime everybody arguing about their love\hate of this sometime feeled fatherless game...buta way to not lose our long time work ,and wc got  a second chance to show to new player(and old) they are professional and care about us,lot of ppl is implicated in this game , community ,trade ,mods and independant devs, forums ,arkwiki,hardworker father like me who like help new player in game, like you goin far with this project and keeping it epic...open your eyes wc check your player base and invest  in more for keeping them

12 minutes ago, Hobhan said:

I think making exclusive clean server for those who buy the game after the release could be nice and unlock them for us after a month for those who wanna change server.these guys could prepare themselves if hey leave or stay take stock and dino through obelisk so no one should complain...maybe look weird way to do but everytime everybody arguing about their love\hate of this sometime feeled fatherless game...buta way to not lose our long time work ,and wc got  a second chance to show to new player(and old) they are professional and care about us,lot of ppl is implicated in this game , community ,trade ,mods and independant devs, forums ,arkwiki,hardworker father like me who like help new player in game, like you goin far with this project and keeping it epic...open your eyes wc check your player base and invest  in more for keeping them

if they would open server after a month it would still be unfair lol, and not opening them at all would just create more clustered servers and divide the playerbase even more. 

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

I switched to Pc from ps4. It's still new and new people coming and going. It's only been out on PS4 for 3 months. I really don't feel they need to wipe it on PS4. But then again I'm also not going to be that guy and say no to one and yes for the rest. If I were on pc still I would still not want it either way.  And I would of never bought it on PS4 if they hadn't already said they wouldn't wipe and only repurpose low pop servers. I would of just waited until full release and played on pc once in a while. 

I have seen this group turn it's back on games before and they just don't say something and not do it. It's not the game it's the developers they hate it when devs go back on their word or try to sneak something in. Ark seems to have mastered that they even said at GDc laughing that they give good with the bad. It's really a poo business practice. 

Bottum line they need to decide and quickly if they want servers to last months or years. Over a year and a half in alpha it's time to make the long term decisions. Not sit back and wait until the last minute. 

And on a personal note I would walk away in a heart beat and not look back. Miscreated, rust, ect ect,,,. All fun games more games coming each year in this genre.  I don't get mad at rollbacks bugs or any other crap. i get pissed at shady business and communication practices. But I'm not going to worry about it until it actually happens then we will see. 

Archived