Favorite Base Location "The Island"

ODeezGaming

Favorite Base Location "The Island"

I am relatively new to these forums and know this topic has been beat to death however, a friend and I have recently started YouTube Channels and we just obtained our first private server. We have lived in Hidden Lake and Smugglers Path in our last season and we are looking for a new spot in Season 2. 

We are fairly certain we will end up at Herbivore island but I wanted to connect with the real experts and see if anyone had other suggestions for us to mule over. This is a PVE server.

Thanks for the input and Happy Hunting!

Before server transfers, I would almost always set up shop at Stonehenge (Southern Islets ... rock formation at the end of the peninsula).  I had my main base on the edge of the inner lake.  Metal behemoths blocked out all the "spokes" (you'll see what I mean when you view it from high above).  Indestructible rock environments made for bottlenecked ground attacks.  Tons of compartmentalized space in each spoke to build out annexes or separate giga pens.  And you got your own little private lake.  Ah the good 'ol days.

In southern islet area, there is a small island at the mouth of a river that pours out into the ocean(the island is just north of the stony peninsula).  The little island has a distinctive elbow or lambda shaped rock.  It is convenient to a small mountain to its north with metal on it(about 8+ nodes and also ruins with an exp boost/survivor note) , beaver spawns in the river fork.  River acts as a fence partially and then with your setting walls around the island, it becomes even better.  The waters to the south (there's a small rock in the water) are just deep enough to house mosa and pleis but you'll have to build just a little out int he water deeper for squid if you so choose.  In the same vicinity underwater are oil nodes as well.

The elbow rock can be climbed by a player all the way to its top(and this dinos can be led up it too allowing for early game safety of some tames before you get your base defenses set.  Thus too the rock allows for both creative structure building above and below it(I've behemoth gated off the under area in the past for example to use as a breeding pen).  Crystal and pearls can be of course found in a cave underwater to its south east(and an exp boost/survivor note box) or the mountain top two rivers west of there.  Only obsidian takes a bit of a haul to get to.

Even before the biome changes I always prefer to build on the mountain in the middle of the map, which is now the red wood.

There is approx 3k ingots worth of metal nodes within easy grabbing distance with an anky or a mantis, even more if you use a quetz platform to the volcano set up. The redwoods themselves offer endless amounts of wood for charcoal and building.

Generally well protected enough, it's easy to ring the lower lore level area into a volumous pen for games using a behemoth gate fence. For getting started there you only need one behemoth gate for the bottleneck on the path up from the mountain side to keep wild animals out. 

Like Kaelnayyan, I built on Grand Peak (popularly called "metal mountain") in the middle of the redwoods. It has beautiful views of the map, and has a tremendous number of resources in that area.

In addition, its central location on the map gives you convenient access to all other relevant locations.

It's right beside the volcano, and not far from the silica pearl run right at the start of the snow biome. I do strongly recommend it...that will forever be home to me.

A funny / miraculous story about my home there: Long before the redwoods were a thing, I built a massive stone compound at the very top of Grand Peak. With some creative pillar-work, I built a 12 story tall, behemoth gate guarded aviary. A second castle was built on top - a four story deploy bay for my dimorphodons, with rising pillars on the sides and back to create a breeding / incubation room and lots of housing for my birds. Just behind there, I built a sprawling castle with a stadium style entryway that opened to a square with a separate room for everything, open in the center with a view to the mountain below. 

I built it all myself over the course of months and months... and I was so proud when the last ceiling was placed.

Then, sometime later, a friend called me early in the morning, with the news of the redwood biome...and the heads up that everything that existed there would be destroyed. I was heartbroken.

I scrambled to make a new base to move my massive menagerie, said goodbye to my castle, and awaited the redwoods update.

I went there the day of the update, just to see for myself and gain closure that my home was gone...only to discover that the very top of Grand Peak was untouched, and my castle was still there, waiting for me. One tree sprouting into the middle of my aviary comprised the only damage.

And so, I got to go home. 

I've played all three official maps, but in the end, like they say, there's no place like home. And that will always be Grand Peak for me. ?

ive had great bases at these locations :

55 lat 28 long (its on top off the cliff overlooking the river and the redwoods. close to vulcano and snow for valuable resources, also close to swamp and beaver dams)

75 lat 3 long also called weathertop. big raised location with more storage place than you know what to do with. further away from everything but also safer than the former location

48 lat 60 long smaller but still big raised area with a fallen tree leading into the redwoods, close to almost all valuable resources except maybe oil. 

30 lat 15 long also called the quarry, big lowered flat space in the snow biome with only 1 way in (if you wall off the rest of the cliff). very close to everything you ever need only 2 downsides. first is its in the snow so its cold, second is its in the snow so its dangerous (rex's argies etc) 

have fun 

On 3/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, Novarae said:

In southern islet area, there is a small island at the mouth of a river that pours out into the ocean(the island is just north of the stony peninsula).  The little island has a distinctive elbow or lambda shaped rock.  It is convenient to a small mountain to its north with metal on it(about 8+ nodes and also ruins with an exp boost/survivor note) , beaver spawns in the river fork.  River acts as a fence partially and then with your setting walls around the island, it becomes even better.  The waters to the south (there's a small rock in the water) are just deep enough to house mosa and pleis but you'll have to build just a little out int he water deeper for squid if you so choose.  In the same vicinity underwater are oil nodes as well.

The elbow rock can be climbed by a player all the way to its top(and this dinos can be led up it too allowing for early game safety of some tames before you get your base defenses set.  Thus too the rock allows for both creative structure building above and below it(I've behemoth gated off the under area in the past for example to use as a breeding pen).  Crystal and pearls can be of course found in a cave underwater to its south east(and an exp boost/survivor note box) or the mountain top two rivers west of there.  Only obsidian takes a bit of a haul to get to.

I normally use that triangle rock as a sniper roost to defend against attacks on my base built in stonehenge across from it.  I would caution against building on this little island since it is such a high traffic area for the beaver dams.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, theronin said:

I normally use that triangle rock as a sniper roost to defend against attacks on my base built in stonehenge across from it.  I would caution against building on this little island since it is such a high traffic area for the beaver dams.

Beaver spawn points are not on the island itself.  If you build correctly, you do not interrupt their spawning. Infact you can also build(if you're on a small server etc.) in such a way as to keep the beavers localized for their dam building instead of running off to the stone peninsula or the inlet etc.  Thus dismissing building there is silly.

7 minutes ago, Novarae said:

Beaver spawn points are not on the island itself.  If you build correctly, you do not interrupt their spawning. Infact you can also build(if you're on a small server etc.) in such a way as to keep the beavers localized for their dam building instead of running off to the stone peninsula or the inlet etc.  Thus dismissing building there is silly.

Pretty sure he meant not to build there because a bunch of people come there for dams man. Not because it might stop the spawning. Too high traffic for PVP safety

Right. High traffic area for beaver dams.  Is he referring to the beavers themselves in spawning(as I interpreted) issues? is he referring to people going there with regards to pvp?(which would be silly since the OP isn't playing on a pvp server as he clearly stated so that's irrelevant to the whole thread to state not recommending building there) Is he referring to concerns of dam spawns? (Issue with dams not spawning except in limited locations was fixed last summer) etc etc.  So yes, there is ambiguity.

Disappointed I don't have screenshots anymore, but before we got pushed off our island server I had built a pretty nice base on the west end of volcano on the rim. 

The real good one was at 50'60'. Pretty flat spot underneath three redwoods with one of the fallen logs nearby. Built from the ground up and merged it with the tree platforms we placed. Was before they increased the structure limit on Xbox so I never got to finish it. Hurt it's defensive capabilities pretty bad too. 

On 3/15/2017 at 7:59 PM, theronin said:

Before server transfers, I would almost always set up shop at Stonehenge (Southern Islets ... rock formation at the end of the peninsula).  I had my main base on the edge of the inner lake.  Metal behemoths blocked out all the "spokes" (you'll see what I mean when you view it from high above).  Indestructible rock environments made for bottlenecked ground attacks.  Tons of compartmentalized space in each spoke to build out annexes or separate giga pens.  And you got your own little private lake.  Ah the good 'ol days.

That's where my current base is located. I love it :D 

Archived