Ark Addicts Anonymous and getting bored

Bain

Ark Addicts Anonymous and getting bored

Hi all, its been a while since I've posted however something has been bugging me lately! i have now played Ark for over 2100 hours ( and will play alot more i absolutely love it!) bit of a backstory - i started on official PVP and for 150 or so hours i slugged away solo learning the game and dying ALOT. now i wasn't interested in joining a larger tribe and i didn't mind the whole getting wiped a lot thing- i enjoyed the challenge of trying to survive solo. what got me over to unofficial was the rates - i just didn't have the time required ( full time job, missus etc ) to pick up everyday and start again :P 

i quickly fell in love with the faster rates on unofficial (started at 2x ended at 3) and settled in- however then the server wipes/server shut downs began and i found my self essentially starting again over and over. now don't get me wrong, it was very frustrating but i soon actually grew to love it. id love seeing how quickly i could get myself back to the previous stage of progress and then progress a lil further till i got wiped again :D 

now at some point during these adventures Wildcard decided to listen to the community and add PVE servers- which i jumped over to after yet another server closure. now i could build aesthetically (to a degree) and not just build a square box! it sucked me in, i started " collecting" all the dinos and making a very large and nice base for everything. then breeding was introduced and i got some new goals! 

Fast forward to today and I've played on more servers then i can remember, however i feel like my beginnings in ark have shaped my play style now. its the same on every server, i get built up- get all the basics, get to metal/stone if pve, get quetz, start breeding, have indus forge etc. then i get bored. its like a switch is thrown, all of a sudden ive "completed" my projects and i have no urge to log on anymore. :( ive tried breeding for bosses and while i enjoy it, doesn't hold out for long i get bored before actually getting to the bosses- ive tried ALOT of mods, which have kept it fresh however the same cycle happens. 

i guess the point of this ramble was to see if anyone else felt the same as i do? ive tried teaming up with some IRL friends which is fun for a bit but i find they do not last as long as i - or i put in MUCH more work then them and they end up getting bored too :( i've joined alphas/betas/small tribes but something about being with randoms just doesn't sit right with me :S so in all i find myself starting fresh on a new server again and again! 

TLDR; 

i enjoy starting fresh and get bored at "End game" . 

PS- extinction servers would be an option if there was OCeanic servers ( live in Australia) 

thanks for taking the time to read my non-sense :P

I think it's kind of a natural instinct, I haven't experienced it with ark though. It's somehow kept my interest even though I'm high level and have basically everything I want. People are drawn more toward progress and the early stages. Personally, I love watching movies/reading books for the part where you see the protagonist learning or building themselves up or whatever, then I'm not particularly interested once they're on top. Some people are just drawn to the struggle

I got my ARK Spark back when I started fresh. When you have 10+ Refrigerators, everything in metal and stone, and two of every dino the game DOES get boring. 

However the main thing getting me sick of ARK is the metal-grind. If metal were more common, and something else was the rare sacred material, that would be fine.

4 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

I got my ARK Spark back when I started fresh. When you have 10+ Refrigerators, everything in metal and stone, and two of every dino the game DOES get boring. 

However the main thing getting me sick of ARK is the metal-grind. If metal were more common, and something else was the rare sacred material, that would be fine.

yea i feel the same, however playing on servers where metal spawns are increased and rates are really high, it shifts to stuff like cem paste and pearls - and when they are even easy to get its stuff like crystal ( not many locations depending on map and whos built there) and black pearls. 

47 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

When you have a quetz and anky, metal is far from precious. We have 3 indy forges, because we get so much metal

I too was where you were at. Then I found the no tame servers!!!!! If you want ark to come back to life then go to it. It has an accelerated rate and no dinos, along with no auto turrets or rockets. Strongest offense is c4 and the strongest defense is x species. I got killed 100 times in the beginning, by players not Dinos. Finally leveled up and now am hiding out in multiple spots. The lack of flyers makes it to where you won't be discovered quickly but you can still be discovered at some point(just gives you time). Constant adrenaline. Anytime o have to get cp I have to go to my raft and try to dodge all of the "pirates" which there are a lot of and it is awesome. This is a pvp dream but if you are on the center(remember that is a huge map) then rafts can only take you so far. 

I believe in my heart you will start liking the game again.

#notameisthefurture

20 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

I too was where you were at. Then I found the no tame servers!!!!! If you want ark to come back to life then go to it. It has an accelerated rate and no dinos, along with no auto turrets or rockets. Strongest offense is c4 and the strongest defense is x species. I got killed 100 times in the beginning, by players not Dinos. Finally leveled up and now am hiding out in multiple spots. The lack of flyers makes it to where you won't be discovered quickly but you can still be discovered at some point(just gives you time). Constant adrenaline. Anytime o have to get cp I have to go to my raft and try to dodge all of the "pirates" which there are a lot of and it is awesome. This is a pvp dream but if you are on the center(remember that is a huge map) then rafts can only take you so far. 

#notameisthefurture

haha i like your descriptions  - dont get me wrong i absolutely love the game, im currently on 3 servers :P i want to play them, but as per my original post there are no OCeanic servers to my knowledge :( pvp on that ping is not fun 

29 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

#notameisthefurture

I actually agree with you :D

These new no taming pvp servers are just so much fun.

Started up solo on one 2 weeks ago to break up my ark schedule alittle.

Love the grind and you cant beat a good ol fisty cuff.

7 hours ago, Bain said:

haha i like your descriptions  - dont get me wrong i absolutely love the game, im currently on 3 servers :P i want to play them, but as per my original post there are no OCeanic servers to my knowledge :( pvp on that ping is not fun 

Well I feel bad for you then man. You are missing out. I hope they come out with more no tame servers soon so more than a couple hundred people Can join in on the fun.

Raids. I don't know if your still on pvp. But I play with real life friends and we grind until we get to where you're bored. All level 80 plus 20 rexes. Some gigas etc. So now we go to war about once a week. We aren't a particularly hostile tribe. But we may choose our victims for no good reason other than size. Location. Etc. We took out a pretty substantial tribe last week. And are set for our biggest raid yet this weekend. It really brings the excitement back. Grinding all week to prepare for a challenging raid. We're looking to take on the alpha tribe pretty soon. Should be exciting. 

What you describe is certainly true for PvE.. once youve reached endgame, well, that's the end of the game. There are no more new challenges. GG, enjoy your spoils. PvP multiplies this games content by 1000. Even if you arent into raiding, it can be incredibly interesting just building defenses and trying to outsmart any potential attackers. Its almost impossible to reach a point where you have nothing left to do.. as no base has yet to be proven unraidable.

For the bordem, if you're into more traditional RPGs at all, I suggest giving a well run unofficial RP server a try. I've been official PvP for pretty much all my play time and gave this a go recently. It's essentially a whole different game. I'm not even super into the RP part, but what it makes it really interesting is that there are so many other goals people are trying to achieve based on the rules for the server, in addition to the normal "build a big base, tame all the dinos, raid everyone," cookie cutter that defines most official PvP (I love that game too, don't get me wrong). There's also basically unlimited end game content due to politics, warring between tribes, and admin run server events.

Like any other "custom rules" game though, you have a find a rule set you like and admins that are dedicated to fair enforcement of those rules.

Also, maybe you don't even need the RP thing, just a good unofficial server with a few mods. There are some really great mods out there that improve the basic game, and even removing fliers gives the game a whole new feel.

Archived