dung beetle Dung Beetle Escape

Jerryn

• Volunteer Moderator

So, after less than one day, already have my first dung beetle escape, while I was in my base(not a glitch cause by me flying back while it slowly renders).

I have an area inside the base building with fencing, that is under a ramp(ramps start 1 set of tiles higher and come to a stop just over the fencing), with doorways on each end.

I was outside, testing firing rates on crossbows and longnecks, when I turn around and see the little SOB(Son of a Beetle) walking across the yard.  How in the hell did it escape?

I have tested, and still testing, if a beetle can go through a doorway; so far, it just gets stuck and tries to do a head stand(they do that a lot).   Going to put doors on dung beetle pen, and will have to waste mats to destroy something so that I can lead it back to where I would like it to stay.

I feel like Thomas Covenant in the Wounded Land; the best way to hurt someone that has nothing is to give them something broken.

I like the beetle alright(except it should be find its own poo to eat, one at a time), but it does a good job of making fertilizer, especially if you mix your poo sizes(apparently it can multitask with mixed poo); and the oil is a bonus.

But seriously, this glitching out of places to escape is getting old.

And, you cannot weigh it down, so it can just wander where ever it pleases, or until I test it with sniper rounds.  :D

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Leonhardt said:

Yeah but there's bound to be new glitches with every new thing they add. That's what we're here for.

Agreed.

But the dino wandering and glitching through walls/doors/gates/fencing/etc. is a well known issue.  It is a bit insulting when they implement something that requires the use of something that is already broken, while leaving no work around.

If these things are just going to escape, I will stick with the modded composting bins for now; at least those don't run away.

• Volunteer Moderator

Have they fixed it for anything yet?

My gigantos just stand around all day as I am not willing to go looking for them if they escape(pair of nice 120 tames); I guess I could tame a few low levels just to see what happens.

The Ovis were escaping every type of enclosure I tried.  Now all of them are paper weights set to wander, but don't actually go anywhere.  :D

But, I have had wild brontos glitch through metal B. Gates to get into my base; and yes, I have seen them stuck on/in the gate before later just wandering around the base.

On January 16, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Jerryn said:

So, after less than one day, already have my first dung beetle escape, while I was in my base(not a glitch cause by me flying back while it slowly renders).

I have an area inside the base building with fencing, that is under a ramp(ramps start 1 set of tiles higher and come to a stop just over the fencing), with doorways on each end.

I was outside, testing firing rates on crossbows and longnecks, when I turn around and see the little SOB(Son of a Beetle) walking across the yard.  How in the hell did it escape?

I have tested, and still testing, if a beetle can go through a doorway; so far, it just gets stuck and tries to do a head stand(they do that a lot).   Going to put doors on dung beetle pen, and will have to waste mats to destroy something so that I can lead it back to where I would like it to stay.

I feel like Thomas Covenant in the Wounded Land; the best way to hurt someone that has nothing is to give them something broken.

I like the beetle alright(except it should be find its own poo to eat, one at a time), but it does a good job of making fertilizer, especially if you mix your poo sizes(apparently it can multitask with mixed poo); and the oil is a bonus.

But seriously, this glitching out of places to escape is getting old.

And, you cannot weigh it down, so it can just wander where ever it pleases, or until I test it with sniper rounds.  :D

I build a pen with a door for me to enter and get the oil and fertilizer. At the moment I can put two large poop and one medium poop. The weight of the poop prevents him from moving. So np of glitching out. So I get eight fertilizer. I like the oil but I really want the fertilizer. 

• 3 months later...
  • Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

How did it turn out?

It worked out well.  They never got out of the first area I kept them in, about 4X1, with doorframe and doors on both ends, regular walls one side, and railings on the other.

Now, I have them in my green house, in a small 2x1 area, which is made from just greenhouse glass, greenhouse doorframe(and door), and 1 metal railing.  But, the guys have not moved 1 inch since I put them there.  It is like are grid locked and can't move; so I am not messing with them.

On 1/15/2016 at 0:36 PM, HighFlyer15 said:

Most definitely can walk through a doorway :D 
Mine did the same, put a door in and they're stuck now. No escapes since release. Maybe I'm just lucky. All other dinos still get out :/ 

^ Can't add much more to this other then saying we noticed it as well. Doors on the walls, or keep them in primitive cages. 

On 1/15/2016 at 8:53 AM, Jerryn said:

We've had an issue with these little turds getting out and appeared to have found a method to fix this.

XXXXXXXX
X [] [] [] [] X

The X is some sort of building material.  We've used foundations and walls and both appear to work.  You could also use cages as we've used those in the past as well.

We have 4 dungbeetles and they used to ALWAYS get out no matter what we did.  We've used this sort of structure to keep them in and have not had a single escapee since.

18 hours ago, Rancor said:

^ Can't add much more to this other then saying we noticed it as well. Doors on the walls, or keep them in primitive cages. 

This. Ive kept mine (Ringo, i know, super original) in the people cage and hes never gotten out. You have to beat them a little to get them to cooperate, but its been worth it.

I have mine in a 5 x 4 pin, with ceilings and pillars for floors. (They are really high up, hanging over a cliffside) They are boxed completely in with stone walls, doorframe, and door. I have 6 of them, and have never had one escape. It is interesting though, no matter were I move them...they always all gravitate to the doorway. So I always have to jump over about 4 of them to get in and collect fertilizer. 

I was nervous about it at first, because so many animals glitch through ceilings, I have had them in their for a month though, and they haven't ever had any problems.

1 hour ago, NebraskARK said:

I have mine in a 5 x 4 pin, with ceilings and pillars for floors. (They are really high up, hanging over a cliffside) They are boxed completely in with stone walls, doorframe, and door. I have 6 of them, and have never had one escape. It is interesting though, no matter were I move them...they always all gravitate to the doorway. So I always have to jump over about 4 of them to get in and collect fertilizer. 

I was nervous about it at first, because so many animals glitch through ceilings, I have had them in their for a month though, and they haven't ever had any problems.

We had about 10 on ceiling tiles at our base on the 3rd floor next to the green house, occasionally flying back to base I would see one fall all the way to the bottom and even under the base floor... Definitely another reason to support structures loading in before dinos.

45 minutes ago, Rancor said:

We had about 10 on ceiling tiles at our base on the 3rd floor next to the green house, occasionally flying back to base I would see one fall all the way to the bottom and even under the base floor... Definitely another reason to support structures loading in before dinos.

Ya, I was pretty worried this was gonna happen, our base structure wasn't anything crazy though...so it loaded in pretty fast. Maybe it was able to "catch" the dinos in time.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Rancor said:

In my first permanent working spot, which was similar to the what @Plannb23 posted(except the doors were on the ends), I would occasionally have one fall through the floor.  If I did the fly away and back to let the base re-render, it would pop back up in the right spot; I was worried that being on the move, the server would take its new position as the truth instead of the old one.

On 1/15/2016 at 11:19 AM, Jerryn said:

But, I have had wild brontos glitch through metal B. Gates to get into my base; and yes, I have seen them stuck on/in the gate before later just wandering around the base.

I now am not a fan of Brontos for this very reason. I have several that like to glitch through my fences (seems to not matter what the fence/gate is made of) and then get stuck on my structures getting in my way. And I swear to bird they are attracted to my boats as I have to keep the boats off shore so the brontos don't get stuck on them. My tamed bronto has done the same dang thing while on wander and it's really frustrating to have them in the way or blocking things like ladders.

Archived