How Should I Tame the Rock Elemental?

OXStrident

I was going to place a cannon or something that can knock out the Rock Elemental on my Paracer, but then I found out that if you hit it in the head it will become much faster. Due to that, knocking it out and running away on my Paracer doesn't really seem viable, so if there anything else besides making a cage that I can do? Also, if the cage is the only good option, how big should I make the cage to trap the elemental in? Can it fit in regular gateways, or should I not have gateways at all? 

2 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

If you're not playing primitive, you're probably best off caging it and using a rocket launcher (you'll probably need at least two or three). As far as the cage, I can't help you there because I have just kited them to a cliff where I can hit them without them throwing boulders at me.

Two or three launchers? What level did you knock out? I made some rockets and a launcher tonight to knock one down tomorrow morning. I made about 16 rockets but not sure how many I need for something like a level 8-12. 

4 hours ago, Multivitamin said:

Two or three launchers? What level did you knock out? I made some rockets and a launcher tonight to knock one down tomorrow morning. I made about 16 rockets but not sure how many I need for something like a level 8-12. 

I knocked out a level 16. I will add, though, that one of my RL is apprentice quality. I don't know the exact amounts, but for an 8-12, sixteen rockets is probably sufficient as long as you can accurately land headshots

2 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

I knocked out a level 16. I will add, though, that one of my RL is apprentice quality. I don't know the exact amounts, but for an 8-12, sixteen rockets is probably sufficient as long as you can accurately land headshots

We tried doing that but didn't have much luck.we ended up killing him.  

Might wanna check out a video done by Mazion or the recent one done by sl1pg8r and xB.  They found a location on the map that the golems can get stuck in, but gives you a clear shot to hit them in the head. Its a gorge near the center of the map. the corridor gets so narrow the golem can't get through it. So you can stay close enough to hit them and not get hit by them.  

I knocked out a level 8 with rockets (primitive launchers) I made 26 rockets and had 4 left over. I lost one when the Launcher blew up on last shot and another hit the body. I did die once and had to run back to my body so in total it took 20 head shots. On my single player game with official settings I was able to knock it out with 16 head shots if I didn't miss or die.  Btw I was able to get 2 shots in between rock throws and you do not want to be reloading when its time to dodge!  

• 1 month later...

I've built a taming pen to trap the elemental but I'm wondering if I can make a fixed cannon tower directly in front of the opening, thus eliminating the need for a paracer.

To maintain agro tho, my tribe and I are planning on using wood shields (mastercraft) just like nooblets did in one of his videos.

Now I haven't used the cannon much but I do know that the X/Y adjustments are incremental. Is it imperative to have the cannon on the paracer in order to keep the ability to make micro adjustments?

One trick I used. I made a cage with 4 stone dino gate. I used a paracer with a cannon. But the trick was I tamed a level 5 rock elemental a few day before with a rocket launcher and a plateau. I lead the level 5 to side of the plateau on my argy. Then ducked back every time it throw a rock. pop back out fired down at it head till it was out. I then tamed it. And trained it up a bit smashing rocks for stone and sand. But I put the levels in to heath. I then parked it just to the right and back a bit from my paracer. and set it to stand there and take the rocks. 

I used this to tame a level 108 Rock elemental 100% solo. it took me all of 10 cannon rounds to do it to. I can say this is the first time I set some thing up in ARK that work 100% as it was planed. 

This was a screenshot I took before I knocked out and tamed a 108 rock elemental. That the cage I used my low level rock Elemental to tank the hits and my paracer armored butt right next to him.  Oh Note I used the river valley to get it right in to my cage. 

20161010191337_1.jpg

9 hours ago, Omnifarious1416 said:

I've built a taming pen to trap the elemental but I'm wondering if I can make a fixed cannon tower directly in front of the opening, thus eliminating the need for a paracer.

To maintain agro tho, my tribe and I are planning on using wood shields (mastercraft) just like nooblets did in one of his videos.

Now I haven't used the cannon much but I do know that the X/Y adjustments are incremental. Is it imperative to have the cannon on the paracer in order to keep the ability to make micro adjustments?

i did it this way, made a place for the cannon ontop of a hill and made cage below it, and have tamed 2 of them like that 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=786077730

closed him in by putting a metal dino gate behind him 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 0:50 PM, PuffyPony said:

I think there is a point at which their torpor gain surpasses their health gain and rockets will cease to work. Not sure tho

Actually trying to KO a level 130 i killed it with a cannon before it was knocked out i think there are some math issues here that need to be patched I think what is needed is special concussion ammunition that had high torpor / stun effect but low explosive damage

Archived