scorched earth Wildcard, you have one chance to salvage the community.

MrDynamicMan

10 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Respectfully, that's not remotely true.

We have a large body of players that have come over from games like RUST (among others), so there is a common market share that is at stake.

Not to mention dino games like The ISLE, which costs $20 and is being released in December.

If you want to believe that ARK isn't in competition with other games for a market share, that's up to you... but (and I know this sounds snarky) you're living in a fantasy land all your own that has nothing to do with the realities of the game development industry.

I'm not saying that it's not in competition with other games, I'm just saying that other companies knowing about the DLC would not be much that much of a threat. 

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FaneBlackwing said:

No, it wouldn't have. Just because it's free doesn't equate to it being part of the main game. That's just silly to think. Many games have free DLC that have nothing to do with the main game. Destiny for example, has a couple expansions that really don't have anything to do with the main story, and they came out with some free DLC this year that had 'story' that had nothing to do with the main story itself.(If you played the game you'd understand what I mean)

Congratulations, you completely overlooked the fact that console doesn't have access to mods! That's the main reason they made official mods, so that the players on Xbox and(Eventually) PS4 are able to enjoy some of the most popular mods out there. The world doesn't revolve around PC. It takes a lot of time and effort to convert them over to console too, as it's a totally different system than PC.

Not really. The Center is as much part of the 'main game' now as the island is. A new map and dinos does not make it a separate entity. And the destiny DLC isnt the best of parallels. 

I didn't. I understand their reasons for making them 'official mods' for console access, but that doesn't mean that they were difficult to dev. Like I said, all the DLC content was already free and existing, all they did was help the madder port it. 

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Not really. The Center is as much part of the 'main game' now as the island is. A new map and dinos does not make it a separate entity. And the destiny DLC isnt the best of parallels. 

I didn't. I understand their reasons for making them 'official mods' for console access, but that doesn't mean that they were difficult to dev. Like I said, all the DLC content was already free and existing, all they did was help the madder port it. 

I never said anything about The Center not being apart of the main game. Scorched Earth is separate, you can continue to play the game as is without it, that makes it separate from the main game. The Center was part of a forced update in order to continue playing Ark, therefore being part of the main game. Destiny DLC is a good example, much of their additional content isn't 'apart' of the main game, and some of it is free. Free content =/= main game content.

And the new DLC content wasn't already free and existing, and it is 100% made by the devs at Wildcard, there's no issue with them placing a price tag on it.

1 minute ago, FaneBlackwing said:

I never said anything about The Center not being apart of the main game. Scorched Earth is separate, you can continue to play the game as is without it, that makes it separate from the main game. The Center was part of a forced update in order to continue playing Ark, therefore being part of the main game. Destiny DLC is a good example, much of their additional content isn't 'apart' of the main game, and some of it is free. Free content =/= main game content.

And the new DLC content wasn't already free and existing, and it is 100% made by the devs at Wildcard, there's no issue with them placing a price tag on it.

You can also still play the main game without argies, Rexes, or raptors, or metal. That doesn't mean they're not part of the game. 

That's my point. There was an article where a wildcard employee (can't remember who)  called us ungrateful for all the DLC they've already given us. But the thing is all that required little to no effort on WCs part. The first major change added for more than half a year is a payed for DLC, and they're surprised people are angry. 

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

You can also still play the main game without argies, Rexes, or raptors, or metal. That doesn't mean they're not part of the game. 

That's my point. There was an article where a wildcard employee (can't remember who)  called us ungrateful for all the DLC they've already given us. But the thing is all that required little to no effort on WCs part. The first major change added for more than half a year is a payed for DLC, and they're surprised people are angry. 

Haven't messed with settings/admin commands in a while, but iirc yeah, you can turn spawns off for certain dinos, but you can't turn metal spawns off. You can choose not to collect/use metal, but it's still there. My point is, those are in the game no matter what, their data and everything is there. You can choose to access it or not freely, whereas Scorched Earth is either you don't have it at all or you do have it.

I get what you're saying, and I wouldn't be surprised people would be angry about it, honestly, I just find it ridiculous. They didn't need to work on the official mods much in comparison to Scorched Earth, and after a year and a half of free content, they have a large content drop and place a price tag on it. That's the reason everyone is upset about it.
vvv
because it's not free, not because it's a 'game preview' and it's 'wrong for them to do to us'. Think of it like giving a kid $10 at the end of a week for no reason and then a month later you tell them they need to mow the lawn or something for the $10. They'll get upset and complain.(kind of a iffy example, but i guess it works. 1am thinking at it's best)

4 minutes ago, FaneBlackwing said:

Haven't messed with settings/admin commands in a while, but iirc yeah, you can turn spawns off for certain dinos, but you can't turn metal spawns off. You can choose not to collect/use metal, but it's still there. My point is, those are in the game no matter what, their data and everything is there. You can choose to access it or not freely, whereas Scorched Earth is either you don't have it at all or you do have it.

I get what you're saying, and I wouldn't be surprised people would be angry about it, honestly, I just find it ridiculous. They didn't need to work on the official mods much in comparison to Scorched Earth, and after a year and a half of free content, they have a large content drop and place a price tag on it. That's the reason everyone is upset about it.
vvv
because it's not free, not because it's a 'game preview' and it's 'wrong for them to do to us'. Think of it like giving a kid $10 at the end of a week for no reason and then a month later you tell them they need to mow the lawn or something for the $10. They'll get upset and complain.(kind of a iffy example, but i guess it works. 1am thinking at it's best)

I agree. It's $20, so what? It's well worth it. I'm just playing Devils advocate at this point, I'm buying the DLC anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Divine said:

wrong! most people have complained that this DLC is not free.. thats why i said this DLC is def worth the money!

I dont cry about 20 €, i just see how they work on P+, what is an official DLC too and my Trust is gone, nothing then Lies and empty Words and that is why i never would buy something, until i see they do some Work, or care.

1 hour ago, Askadiel said:

I dont cry about 20 €, i just see how they work on P+, what is an official DLC too and my Trust is gone, nothing then Lies and empty Words and that is why i never would buy something, until i see they do some Work, or care.

prime plus was free because it was made from a modder.. just like the center. however Scorched earth has actually been in the works pretty much since the beginning. it was made by the creators of those who did the island. professional game developers. if you didn't enjoy Prim + what was the harm anyways... it was free, you didn't mention the center or SOTF which are both huge success. how are they huge lies and empty words??? the center was made by 1 man too all that work made by one man and ark gave him his dream for 1000s of people to play on a map that he created and that they love, gave them all the help and resources he needed, just because of one P+ that you did not like you are going to dislike or not going to trust a game that has giving you joy for many hours again? Have you purchase SE yet? have you played it yet? Because i have, and i can say that its actually better than the island and the center, but ey thats my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Divine said:

prime plus was free because it was made from a modder.. just like the center. however Scorched earth has actually been in the works pretty much since the beginning. it was made by the creators of those who did the island. professional game developers. if you didn't enjoy Prim + what was the harm anyways... it was free, you didn't mention the center or SOTF which are both huge success. how are they huge lies and empty words??? the center was made by 1 man too all that work made by one man and ark gave him his dream for 1000s of people to play on a map that he created and that they love, gave them all the help and resources he needed, just because of one P+ that you did not like you are going to dislike or not going to trust a game that has giving you joy for many hours again? Have you purchase SE yet? have you played it yet? Because i have, and i can say that its actually better than the island and the center, but ey thats my opinion. 

No, i have not bought SE yet and i wont. Its not that interesting for me , but P+ is. If P+ is free or not, the Publisher as DLC is WC and as if was a Mod, there weas much more Progress and Changes on it. Unfortunately, brought SE more Bugs as there was before to P+ and beside of Promisses, for the CoreGame too, wont happen from WC the last Time. That there was a lot of Misinformation, some say Lies and Promisses that was worth nothing from WC and Ced is WC. They said there was a lot of Work in the XBox Verion, but they have still the same Bugs as PC (You can look that up in the Bug Thread V2). Those are all Reasons for me, to think they have so much to do and can afford to work on other Things. TheCenter is a great Succcess ? Maybe but still full of Bugs, as the Core Game is. I dont talk about more Dinos, not about Content, i just want to see that they work on exististing, Game destroying Bugs, but there happends nothing. And the Hours to enjoy the Game, yes, espacially when i fall through the World, or Dinos disappear, or i enjo more of the very interesting Bugs the Game has to offer. From my Point, they dont care.

And i have an Server, have to do a lot of Workarounds for the People who play there and i cant simple give them Thumbs up, or recommend the Game "ARK" what you need to play SE at the Moment, because too much Things are broken and i really cant see or believe, they work on it, or that will change in the next Time.

1 hour ago, Askadiel said:

No, i have not bought SE yet and i wont. Its not that interesting for me , but P+ is. If P+ is free or not, the Publisher as DLC is WC and as if was a Mod, there weas much more Progress and Changes on it. Unfortunately, brought SE more Bugs as there was before to P+ and beside of Promisses, for the CoreGame too, wont happen from WC the last Time. That there was a lot of Misinformation, some say Lies and Promisses that was worth nothing from WC and Ced is WC. They said there was a lot of Work in the XBox Verion, but they have still the same Bugs as PC (You can look that up in the Bug Thread V2). Those are all Reasons for me, to think they have so much to do and can afford to work on other Things. TheCenter is a great Succcess ? Maybe but still full of Bugs, as the Core Game is. I dont talk about more Dinos, not about Content, i just want to see that they work on exististing, Game destroying Bugs, but there happends nothing. And the Hours to enjoy the Game, yes, espacially when i fall through the World, or Dinos disappear, or i enjo more of the very interesting Bugs the Game has to offer. From my Point, they dont care.

And i have an Server, have to do a lot of Workarounds for the People who play there and i cant simple give them Thumbs up, or recommend the Game "ARK" what you need to play SE at the Moment, because too much Things are broken and i really cant see or believe, they work on it, or that will change in the next Time.

They do bug fixes all the time (sometimes successful, sometimes not), although we really haven't hit the part of the dev cycle where that is actually a focus.

You know this.

Just now, AaBb said:

Similar to how we haven't hit the part of the dev cycle (game release) where DLC becomes the focus.

Paying for extra content during development is a common as dirt, the only difference is game devs tend to call them micro transactions instead of calling them DLC, and you tend to get a whole lot less for your money.

I suppose they could have gone the route of allowing people to pay for their DLC in advance, like Battlefield 1 is doing.  Because YAY!!! we get to pay now and get nothing in return until after release... because that's sooo much better... despite the fact the actual work is done before release.... rabble rabble rabble.

1 minute ago, ranger1presents said:

Paying for extra content during development is a common as dirt, the only difference is game devs tend to call them micro transactions instead of calling them DLC, and you tend to get a whole lot less for your money.

I suppose they could have gone the route of allowing people to pay for their DLC in advance, like Battlefield 1 is doing.  Because YAY!!! we get to pay now and get nothing in return until after release... because that's sooo much better... despite the fact the actual work is done before release.... rabble rabble rabble.

I don't care much for micro-transactions during development either but I don't have nearly as much problem with that.  They are typically small scale and typically art.  I do not recall any game ever releasing an expansion before releasing their game.  I don't know what you mean about paying in advance.

19 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

They do bug fixes all the time (sometimes successful, sometimes not), although we really haven't hit the part of the dev cycle where that is actually a focus.

You know this.

Where are the P+ Bugfixes ? I know they did nothing and there are so many things, like glitching through the World, or demolition one Wall and a lot of Gates standing on Fence Foundations collapse and thats in Vanilla too. You only should have a lok on Steam, how the Game is rated, since the Release of SE, only 37% think positive of the Game and Development. Cant be only my Opinion then.

2 minutes ago, AaBb said:

I don't care much for micro-transactions during development either but I don't have nearly as much problem with that.  They are typically small scale and typically art.  I do not recall any game ever releasing an expansion before releasing their game.  I don't know what you mean about paying in advance.

Sometimes they are art or skins, more often they are new vehicles or weapons... and usually prices start at $20 those and go up (sometimes WAY up) from there.

BF1 currently has expansion packs for available for pre-order at a discounted price.  Pay for it now, get the content shortly after release... and everyone is fine with that.

So apparently that was WCs mistake, they actually gave you that extra content right away.  They should have made you wait. 

Just now, ranger1presents said:

Sometimes they are art or skins, more often they are new vehicles or weapons... and usually prices start at $20 those and go up (sometimes WAY up) from there.

BF1 currently has expansion packs for available for pre-order at a discounted price.  Pay for it now, get the content shortly after release... and everyone is fine with that.

So apparently that was WCs mistake, they actually gave you that extra content right away.  They should have made you wait. 

Yes, they should have waited.

2 minutes ago, Askadiel said:

Where are the P+ Bugfixes ? I know they did nothing and there are so many things, like glitching through the World, or demolition one Wall and a lot of Gates standing on Fence Foundations collapse and thats in Vanilla too. You only should have a lok on Steam, how the Game is rated, since the Release of SE, only 37% think positive of the Game and Development. Cant be only my Opinion then.

I'm pretty sure there have been some bug fixes (not all of them yet) for P+, with more on the way.  And yes, not all of the annoying bugs have been fixed in the main game yet, despite the fact that the patch notes are filled with the ones they have done.  Again, that's not the main focus yet... and they've repeatedly told us that will come at the end of development.

Yes, people have flooded the review system with negative reviews over the last week, even though what they are submitting are not reviews but gripes about their marketing strategy.  Overall though, their reviews are still very good.

13 minutes ago, AaBb said:

Yes, they should have waited.

Let me get this straight.

It's fine if they take your money now, but make you wait for the extra content until just after release.

It's unethical if they take your money now and actually give you the extra content right away.

This is what you're going with?

1 minute ago, ranger1presents said:

Let me get this straight.

It's fine if they take your money now, but make you wait for the extra content until just after release.

It's unethical if they take your money now and actually give you the extra content right away.

This is what you're going with?

Yes.  Pre-ordering for a lower price is similar to Early Access, it's a method for gaining revenue during the development of content.  I don't buy pre-order games or expansions but I don't have a problem with that.

It is unethical to release an expansion for a game that is currently under development for testing purposes.  It is an abuse of the system.  Your comment on the dev cycle illustrates exactly why this is the case.  It is expected that the game will be not be optimized and will contain bugs because it is not finished.  If that is true of the game it is also true of the expansion.  While technical flaws are excused for a work in progress they absolutely should not be for a finished game.  The company is claiming the game is unfinished while acting like it is.

Had this expansion been done as a pre-order and released after the game was completed the expansion would not suffer from the bugs and lack of optimization that the game currently has.  It would be a finished product.  In their explanation of the decision it was stated that they did it now for testing purposes.

16 minutes ago, AaBb said:

Yes.  Pre-ordering for a lower price is similar to Early Access, it's a method for gaining revenue during the development of content.  I don't buy pre-order games or expansions but I don't have a problem with that.

It is unethical to release an expansion for a game that is currently under development for testing purposes.  It is an abuse of the system.  Your comment on the dev cycle illustrates exactly why this is the case.  It is expected that the game will be not be optimized and will contain bugs because it is not finished.  If that is true of the game it is also true of the expansion.  While technical flaws are excused for a work in progress they absolutely should not be for a finished game.  The company is claiming the game is unfinished while acting like it is.

Had this expansion been done as a pre-order and released after the game was completed the expansion would not suffer from the bugs and lack of optimization that the game currently has.  It would be a finished product.  In their explanation of the decision it was stated that they did it now for testing purposes.

So you're straight up saying yes, taking your money now for the expansion and giving you nothing in return until after release is ethical... but taking your money now and giving you the content right away is unethical and a terrible thing to do.

You, my friend, have single handedly shaken my faith in the future of humanity.

5 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

So yes, taking your money now for the expansion and giving you nothing in return until after release is ethical... but taking your money now and giving you the content right away is unethical and a terrible thing to do.

You, my friend, have highhandedly shaken my faith in the future of humanity.

Happy to be of service.

22 minutes ago, AaBb said:

You make absolutely no sense and these exact comments are the kind that are poisoning this community slowly. How can you think this is better than what we got? How can you complain about getting a functioning batch of new content to play? That is idiotic. Paying for it now vs later makes no difference. You wanna wait like another 4 months or possibly a year to play new content rather than get it when the game is perfectly playable and the only bugs people complain about are just trivial, "Oh no I lost a such and such thing," if you did the work to get it once guess what you can get it again. So yeah there are crashes but guess what, ALOT of fully completed games have the capability to crash and sometimes when servers go to crap they crash a lot. I and probably many other including yourself, you probably wont admit it if you did get it the DLC, have had absolutely ZERO issues with this game or DLC. If I did have an issue it was either just not big enough to even concern myself with or I just didn't care cuz unlike most people in this community I understand what I payed for to play. Which was a game full of bugs cuz it isn't complete if you were wondering.

Archived