Breeding

2 hours ago, cjstillwell said:

So again what I'm trying to say is i shouldn't have to leave my dino breeding to get eggs.

While the people in this discussion might agree with you that you "shouldn't" have to, that doesn't mean we have the power to make it possible. This is a discussion in the General forum, which means that it can only be a discussion between players. We can agree with you, disagree with you, give you ideas and suggest workarounds, but whether you should have to do this or not we can't change anything for you.

So, for future reference, if you want to suggest a change to the devs you have to post it in the Suggestions forum, that is the only place where ideas might get communicated to the devs. As far as WildCard is concerned, the General forum  is only for discussions among players and the devs never get anything from here. If you look at the Suggestions forum you'll see there are a lot of ideas there that don't happen in the game, so you should post there if this is important to you as long as you understand that the chance of any specific idea getting added to the game is pretty small. I'm not trying to discourage you, in fact I encourage people to post suggestions, it's just important to be realistic about it when you do.

I went back and saw the Hatchery had fertilized eggs the mating is the best I could do because the server host doesn't want massive breeding

I understand that it can be frustrating when the owner of your server doesn't want to make changes to server settings, but you still have an option available to you. If it was me, I would simply tame more egg layers. That's basically how it's always been done, if you want more eggs then get more egg layers.

Whenever I start on a new map I tame at least 10 females of each type of egg (and sometimes more than 10). If I don't have enough eggs I keep on taming more low level females until the egg laying becomes enough. If you want to stay on your server, and the server owner won't change a setting for you, then this may be your only option.

That seem a little wired that the egg laying multiplier is only for fertilizer eggs. The only thing with ase it was connect to the poop multiplier because they didn't have an egg multiplier until this game ASA.

Oh boy, after reviewing this thread I see there's more going on than I realized, starting with some mistaken assumptions and bad communications (and I'm not saying that was all you, bear with me).

Let's start with one item that is you - when you're discussing a variable that can be set in the config files, it's important to list the variable by it's exact name. In this case the variable is the "LayEggIntervalMultiplier", but you never said that. In your first post you talked about the Hatchery, and then starting with your second post you've talked about "the egg laying multiplier". The problem is that there is more than one config setting that could be described as "the egg laying multiplier", which caused some confusion. If you had typed, "LayEggIntervalMultiplier" in your very first post this whole thread would have gone much better. When you're asking for help it's important to be as specific and accurate as you can.

Why was that confusing to the rest of us? Because people have either never heard of the LayEggIntervalMultiplier or it's been so long ago they forgot it has ever existed. Speaking for myself, I thought that "the egg laying multiplier" was a description and you were referring to the MatingIntervalMultiplier. If you had given the exact variable name then I would never have made that bad assumption.

When I read your sentence, "they didn't have an egg multiplier until this game ASA."  that made me go do a more detailed look at the wiki page for Server Configuration and I found the variable, "LayEggIntervalMultiplier". Now here's the funny thing, that variable was added to the game in patch 218.0 back in Oct 2015 and, as far as I know, it never worked and was removed from the game even before I started running a server. I didn't start running my own server until 2017 and I don't remember knowing about this variable, or if I did know about it I also knew that it didn't work and so I've never used it on my server. My own memory of that variable is lost in time and space.

I've looked at my server config files, and this variable doesn't exist in any of my configs nor in any old backups of configs. I have backups of my config files starting in October of 2017 up to the present, and this variable isn't in any of them.

Now that we've reached this point where I understand the variable you're talking about... I strongly suspect that it still doesn't work. My guess is that this is another piece of evidence that proves WildCard lied about "rewriting the code" when they released ASA. ASA is basically a copy/paste of ASE with some changes made afterward, it's not truly "rewritten" or new code. Somehow they managed to pull this old variable from their code repository and add it back to the game.

Mind you, in spite of the fact that ASA is mostly a copy/paste of ASE, it's possible that they brought back this variable on purpose and that it works, but I doubt it. Until someone is able to test and verify that it works, we should assume that it doesn't. And if I'm correct that means your best option is to tame more egg layers.

And yes i had oviraptor out too they didn't promote unfertilized eggs laying. Any you can't tell me that doesn't happen because oviraptor are very using at making sure you have unfertilized eggs as well fertilized egg.

Now let's talk about the bad information we gave to you. After re-reading the "Egg Farming" article on the wiki it reminded me that only dodo's lay unfertilized eggs based on pooping, all others lay eggs on a schedule.

1) When a female comes out of statis "there is a 1% chance for an egg to be laid"

2) "A mate-boosted female creature will have a chance to lay an egg every 17 minutes."

3) "An Oviraptor set to wandering provides a buff that reduces the egg laying timer from 17 minutes to 11 minutes 20 seconds."  [ Note that the Oviraptor must be set to wondering, if it's not on wandering then it will not give the boost ]

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Eggs#Egg_Farming

So I apologize for giving you bad information earlier. This is what happens when you've been playing a game for so many years with so many changes, it's easy to remember things incorrectly (which is why I just now went to the wiki to double-check my memory).

This information reinforces the idea that you will want to tame more egg layers. With only a 1% chance of laying an unfertilized egg when they come out of statis, it will help you to have more females that could lay an egg.

• Like 1

Hmmm yesterday I talked about baby Gacha and about them I remembered something about their method of growing without food that maybe could work for OP, rereading now on Wiki.gg:

""Or, if you have the S+ Mod, you can simply put the Gacha babies on an S+ Hitching Post (all variants of the S+ Hitching Posts work), which will then ensure that the Gachas never enter "stasis", and you're therefore able to safely leave their rendering distance.""

then could this Mod keep its Yutys active? I've never used Mod so I don't know how it works well..

19 minutes ago, cjstillwell said:

Ok so I'm caving but now I have a question if I just lay on the bed and leave my Xbox running would I die or does it keep me alive. I'm going to be mad if I die. I feel like I've done it on ase and I died even to I was laying in the bed 

Laying on a bed is the same as sitting in a chair. Your food and water consumption are drastically reduced, but if it's in a spot where there will be freezing or overheating that will shorten the amount of time your character will live. Your best bet is to do an experiment, put down your chair/bed, get on it and then check on your character after 15 minutes, then again in another 15 minutes, this should tell you how fast your character will use food/water in that spot.

to partially solve the temperature problem you can obviously put the bed/chair between a couple of air conditioners, just be careful that in ASA there are some moments where for a few minutes you will be extremely cold/hot, more air conditioners help. If you plan to leave your character for a long time, just to be safe, strip yourself of all your equipment and inventory so that if you die you won't lose anything (if the decomposition time of your bag has been increased on your server you won't have any problems with this either sense). Under normal conditions the character consumes very little water and food.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:05 AM, Pipinghot said:

1) When a female comes out of statis "there is a 1% chance for an egg to be laid"

Yes, thats why I had my egg farm on the far end of my base. To make them go in and out of stasis if i would be doing stuff in my base. Good to know its actually a fact and its on wiki or something. I always had a really strong feeling this was the case.

19 hours ago, cjstillwell said:

Ok so I'm caving but now I have a question if I just lay on the bed and leave my Xbox running would I die or does it keep me alive. I'm going to be mad if I die. I feel like I've done it on ase and I died even to I was laying in the bed 

If you want to really boost things up, it might be an idea to have a paracer with a small hut on it, place a bed in the hut. Then have it set to wander in a pen somewhere at a distance it will get your egg farm in and out of render. So that the egg layers are constantly getting the first check for an egg drop. 
Only thing with this is that it might get stuck or derp out and stay out of render distance. And mind that ASA has a view distance and a distance for stasis. Not sure if they are the same on your server. (You could check this by having a hostile dino follow you. If it is following you and after getting distance, its not visible anymore. You stop. If it wont come back in visual range it means it was put into stasis.)

If that set up works in your advantage, it will be eggstravaganza. I hope so...

The only way to be certain of lots of eggs is to have lots of females to drop them. I tend to tame lots of low level creatures to get lots of eggs early on and then replace them with high level egg layers when I've tamed higher level creatures. Also I'm fairly certain I read somewhere many moons ago the dodo which has the highest egg drop rate is a 1/13 drop rate for eggs to poop ratio. Higher level eggs from say a yuty would have a much lower drop rate. So as mentioned tame some low levels 

• 3 weeks later...

That not what that mean. What I'm saying Is that it shouldn't matter if it fertilized eggs or non fertilized eggs for an egg laying multiplier. As game progress I shouldn't have to be on to get non fertilized eggs that makes no sense to have it if it doesn't work on both eggs. As I stated I have other games I want to play but also all the people who play this game has it on their gaming pc. So they are able to get millions of eggs because they keep their pc on. Xbox is one of those gaming consoles that not meant to be on for 24 hours to get the Fraction of eggs that pc player get. I'm glad I'm able to play but that doesn't mean I don't have other things to do. Especially seeing as the server kicks me out after a few hours. But hey the few hours I do get I get over a hundred eggs so I'm not complaining 😊😊

Also I need advice so I told you guys how I'm the only one on my pve server that get on. Well the other 3 haven't and their base is up to demolish. What happens to the base like is it going to break on it own. should I do it for them or leave it alone I just worry about it but not because I've be left behind kinda. Like I know we are all busy but I'm at a loss as I get on everyday to check on things its like just because one person doesn't get on the other 2 don't. Am I being  an a hole because I haven't told them their base Is at the demolish. And I want to break in lol

Edited by cjstillwell