13 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

Alr i guess i did have that wrong… thx for telling me! I had 3 pteras but they were all like level 20 i think? I tamed them as they were level one, so i guess that was a mistake… i honestly did think “progressing” in ark was moving inland, getting higher level dinos, and beating the bosses. I guess i was super wrong if im not mistaken. Thx for informing me!

Hmmm. I think I detect a note of sarcasm here.

• Like 1

Ive tried getting an argy and it didnt go well (all my flyers died and thats why im writing this whole topic) and also i have breaded, with two parasaurs and when i imprinted the meter went up 1% and it grew up too fast. Maybe bc its a para? Idk but how do i find one without going past the redwoods? I do have a sarco so if they are anywhere along the coast i could prob get there

a good place to get one is at lat 40, long 15........its on the beach just south of the snow zone. You will encounter a huge spawn point right there where nearly everything in the game can spawn.....kangaroo's, rex, sabertooth, argies, anky's.......also if you wander into the snow zone just pinch, there is a bit of oil and crystal if you need it.

Just avoid the carno's, yuty's, and deadons......the sabertooth isn't much of a problem for the sarco, just so long as its just one or two of em, but the rest of those dino's are troublesome

12 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

So thx to everyone but i have one last question: can everyone help me learn how to make superior kibble? Its the preferred by the argy and thats what im looking to tame next! I need citronal, jerky, and large eggs i think? I need recipes and the easiest way to get them if possible pls. Thx for all your help tho!

kibble is a bit of a pain......If your all about it, then you will need eggs from like rex's and spino's and such. You might get lucky if you have a bronto and its a female, "Sometimes" it will lay an un fertilized egg, but for an argy, prime meat works well. In fact, for default single player, Id say its perfect. The only one better than that would be mutton. You should find sheep easily in the snow biome, but keep in mind, they will replace an animal that spawns into existence, and if it replaces a single animal in a pack of carnivores, the carnivores will smash it before you can get close enough to it to do anything.

18 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

dk but how do i find one without going past the redwoods? I do have a sarco so if they are anywhere along the coast i could prob get there

At what coordinates is your base? If you have a GPS it can give you the exact numbers, if you don't have one simply open the map and look at the numbers on the left and those at the bottom, the dot (an arrow) is you.

Just now, CervantesMor said:

At what coordinates is your base? If you have a GPS it can give you the exact numbers, if you don't have one simply open the map and look at the numbers on the left and those at the bottom, the dot (an arrow) is you.

I live right across from the weather top, along the path across the river of the foot paw spawn

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

kibble is a bit of a pain......If your all about it, then you will need eggs from like rex's and spino's and such. You might get lucky if you have a bronto and its a female, "Sometimes" it will lay an un fertilized egg, but for an argy, prime meat works well. In fact, for default single player, Id say its perfect. The only one better than that would be mutton. You should find sheep easily in the snow biome, but keep in mind, they will replace an animal that spawns into existence, and if it replaces a single animal in a pack of carnivores, the carnivores will smash it before you can get close enough to it to do anything.

So can I tame an argy with the kibble a tier above it? It takes superior so can I give it exceptional kibble? I have like three brontos by my house so it should work fine

Edited by RandomSurivor

In addition to the Wiki.gg site that they have already recommended to you, try learning to look at Dododex often: https://www.dododex.com/ --- it is very reliable and helps you understand what is needed to tame the various Dinosaurs, such as make Kibble, which structures they damage, which doors they don't pass through (also useful for creating traps), which animals they can transport them by, whether they can be stopped by Bole or Beartrap etc.. etc..

Just now, CervantesMor said:

In addition to the Wiki.gg site that they have already recommended to you, try learning to look at Dododex often: https://www.dododex.com/ --- it is very reliable and helps you understand what is needed to tame the various Dinosaurs, such as make Kibble, which structures they damage, which doors they don't pass through (also useful for creating traps), which animals they can transport them by, whether they can be stopped by Bole or Beartrap etc.. etc..

Oh I always have Dododex whenever I play just in case I encounter a dino that I’m not sure of whether it is aggressive or not

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RandomSurivor said:

So can I tame an argy with the kibble a tier above it? It takes superior so can I give it exceptional kibble? I have like three brontos by my house so it should work fine

Usually a type of Kibble other than the one they prefer does not work "better", even if of a higher level but, the Extraordinary Kibbles are the only ones that work perfectly with almost all Dinos (at least with all those that require Kibble)

Edited by CervantesMor

18 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

i have breaded, with two parasaurs and when i imprinted the meter went up 1% and it grew up too fast. 

If you have adjusted taming rates it can be very difficult to get imprints rates in line - so difficult that only just now for ASA did WC themselves patch the single player rates so that you can actually imprint.  It used to be in SP you never got a chance to do it as imprint times was scheduled for after they already grew up.  So this one is not easy to solve - maybe a rates manager will calc this for you but I have not played ASE in years and ASA is different so you will have to seek out recommends.     ASA had also changed imprinting to symbolize what it wants and you had to guess, and they then changed it to just always work if you hit E regardless then again they just added the words back.

in ASA with wild babies it has been finally figured out if you can get the baby running away from you and catch it then you get an imprint - so I have a good collection of imprints now and will have more now that I know that it is not a random bug.  Better than chasing max levels and not getting an imprint.

On 12/14/2023 at 12:19 PM, RandomSurivor said:

Alr i guess i did have that wrong… thx for telling me! I had 3 pteras but they were all like level 20 i think? I tamed them as they were level one, so i guess that was a mistake… i honestly did think “progressing” in ark was moving inland, getting higher level dinos, and beating the bosses. I guess i was super wrong if im not mistaken. Thx for informing me!

Thank you for letting me know your previous reply wasn't sarcasm. I was concerned that maybe my answer had possibly not helped with what you're looking for.

Just to clarify a little bit, in the big picture you're right. Progressing does mean "moving inland, getting higher level dinos, and beating the bosses", but not in a rush and not before you're ready. What I was trying to get across is that all progress requires being prepared. A big part of preparation is trying to develop enough knowledge so that things won't go badly, but also making sure you have backups in case the worst happens. ARK wants to kill you and destroy your stuff, which is what a survival game should be trying to do to you, and in order to progress you have to overcome obstacles.

On a side note, regarding the levels of your tames, I accidentally made an assumption that I think might have been wrong. When I talked about "Lvl 50 pteranodons" I was assuming the settings that are used on official servers, where the max level is 150. That's how we have things configured on my private server. But on official servers (and my server) it's not possible to find a Lvl 1 dino, so if you tamed your pteranodons at Lvl 1 that means you're using different settings. So, for what it's worth, you probably don't need to wait until you find Lvl 50's to tame, I'm betting anything Lvl 20 or above is pretty decent with your settings. Basically, whatever the level range is in your game, you want to try to look for creatures to tame that are at least 1/3 of the max level.  So on my server, with max level being 150, we never bother with anything lower than 50 even when we're starting a new map. Then, later as we get more established, we look for even better wild creatures to tame, and eventually we get to the point where we're only interested in Lvl 135-150. Obviously those numbers will be different for you but you get the idea.

It's still good to tame low levels for eggs for your kibble, but if you're going to ride/fly/fight with them you want something either above average or close to the average level when you first tame them.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but taming traps are your friend.

There are lots of good videos on designs for taming traps, some of the traps are multi-purpose others are tailored specifically for difficult-to-trap-and-tame creatures. Start with basic traps of 2x2 or 3x3 for taming things like anky's, doed's, raptors, or whatever is next on your list. Even just a plain old square trap with a ramp that you can lead things into will make your taming efforts much more rewarding, the only difference between different traps of that type will be how many walls you have to add for the prey you want to catch. You can make something as smalle as a 1x2 that's only 1 wall high for anky's, doed's and other small dinos, then 2x2 with 2 walls high for things like wolves & raptors, and so on for bigger prey.

Of course you don't need a trap to tame pteranodons, they're easy to tame using bola's and a crossbow, but then you can build a taming trap for argentavis and use your pteranodon to lure the argy's into it. There are a couple of different good designs for this, just look up argy taming trap on youtube.

No matter what kind of server I'm no (official, private, single-player) I constantly throw down taming traps to capture anything I think is important to tame without having to worry about other wild dinos interfering or causing problems during the taming process. Sometimes you can just run around shooting at the creature you want, but other times you want the benefits offered by putting a trap down first.

24 minutes ago, CervantesMor said:

Also a great resource for taming - I also always have it open.   But their breeding calculators do not follow the taming calculator in using the rates presets, and if you have custom rates it can be hard to use.    But for taming calculator it cannot be beat.   I like the wiki gg because they cite the devs social/patch posts to back up their recommendations for dino combat and utility roles.

3 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

The kibble made with very small eggs (dodo) is still worth it once you get past tames that still want it (dolphins love it and you need a lot because they are a swarm/swim away taming).  And it is great for your feeding trough even if not preferred taming food, fills the critters up more, less spoilage than its ingredients which are very easily resourced. 

Edited by yarnevk

Thx for the tips on kibble and stuff! So i can make kibble if i want but it’s not a necessity, traps are great for certain Dino’s, and i can find Argys at the tip of the snow biome. As im knocking it out, will anything aggro on it? I dont want any rexes killing a good lvl argy. 

Edited by RandomSurivor

9 hours ago, RandomSurivor said:

Thx for the tips on kibble and stuff! So i can make kibble if i want but it’s not a necessity, traps are great for certain Dino’s, and i can find Argys at the tip of the snow biome. As im knocking it out, will anything aggro on it? I dont want any rexes killing a good lvl argy. 

Yes, things will aggro on it. Considering that typically argentavis are found at higher altitudes you might not have to worry about that, but if there are hostiles in the area you definitely want to think about luring the argy to some place more safe or finding a taming trap design that will protect it during taming.

The basic rule of thumb is, if a creature will normally attack the species you want to tame, then it will attack the animal during the taming process. For example, most predators will just naturally attack argy's when they're all running round in the wild together, so if you knock an argy out where they can attack and kill it, they will.

This is not a 100% ironclad rule, but it's a good place to start when you're thinking about taming things. For example, a dilophosaur may be small, but they're still a carnivore and they will happily attack nearly anything you have knocked out that's laying on the ground.

If you have not built a taming trap, or your taming trap is small, or if it's a design that might allow hostiles to attack your tame, you can also get a lot of help from spike walls. If you're going out on a taming expedition, it's a good idea to carry a dozen spike walls with you (assuming you can carry the extra weight) so that you can place them on the ground all around you to help avoid being surprise and ambushed.

yes. you can use superior, exceptional, or extraordinary.  I prefer the later as you can tame anything that takes a food type to tame with extraordinary. Just go out and tame 5 or 6 very low level yuty females and a single male with prime meat (only take like 4 pieces to tame a lvl 5) and leave them all out sitting around and maybe even get a oviraptor and the females will drop eggs every once in awhile. Either that or set them up to breed, and once they are all done mateing, they will drop a fertilized egg that can still be used to make kibble with.

Add one garden and an industrial cooker and boom, kibble farm

As for the exceptional kibble, it will work just fine and at the same rate as superior kibble

So i need to go to the tip of the snow biome, what will aggro on an argy

only preditors.....but everything......Good news is that the argies are fairly powerful, will not agry to anything, unless it gets attacked, and are usually strong enough to deal with low to moderate threats. Ontop of that, they have a healing effect if they clean up a carcass, so if one gets beat up badly dureing a fight, but wins, it can regenerate some or most of its health if it eats the dead thing.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, RandomSurivor said:

Should i go to death island for an argy? Im pretty sure its a 100% spawn for an argy there, i checked on spawn map. I can just use the spike walls

It's a decent place to tame them. Build an argie trap on the south west beach and kite them to it. The island itself is pretty dangerous though. 

I prefer to get them from the mountain at 45,75. You can kite them to the east beach to tame.