Good tames to breed for unoffical PVP?

SharkLordSatan

Basically what the title says.

I play on console, me and a tribemate are playing on a fairly boosted unofficial server. We have a pretty nice base set up but currently I want to get into breeding tames for PVP and maybe boss fights. I know the obvious ones (i.e Stego, Carbo, Giga, Rex, etc) but I'm curious what else you would personally recommend for PVP.

On top of that; what are some numbers I should look for when breeding such creatures? What's considered "good" HP or "bad" HP (post-tame at least) for, say, a Stego? Are there any tools to calculate this kind of thing? (I'm aware Dododex exists but it only really tells you how many points went into a stat, not whether it's good or bad in terms of total value.)

5 hours ago, SharkLordSatan said:

On top of that; what are some numbers I should look for when breeding such creatures? What's considered "good" HP or "bad" HP (post-tame at least) for, say, a Stego? Are there any tools to calculate this kind of thing? (I'm aware Dododex exists but it only really tells you how many points went into a stat, not whether it's good or bad in terms of total value.)

Points pretty much tell you the whole story, and more points are better. If a stat is important (like HP for soakers, or HP + Stam + Dam for fighters, etc.) then you want to start your breeding with at least 40 points in that stat.

On our private PvE server we are willing to start breeding for boss fights if an important stat is at least 34 points, but you care about more than just boss fights. If the PvP on your server is serious then you're going to be breeding for mutations, which means you might as well keep taming until you get at least 40 points in the important stats before you start breeding.

Basically it comes down to time - how much time do you want to spend taming animals, hoping that you get lucky stat rolls, before you start breeding. It's almost always more efficient to do a bunch of taming so you start your breeding pool with good stats, because that means you'll spend less time breeding for future mutations. But conversely you don't want to just keep taming things forever hoping that you'll get 50 points in a stat, it's hard to get that lucky.

So my opinion is 34 points to start breeding for boss fights and 40 points if you're breeding for PvP.

Sinocrops are good creatures to start breeding; the extra mobility they provide is handy for all sort of PVE & PVP uses.  They are also trivial to raise (since chitin is easy to get & does not spoil) and a pain to tame, so breeding is the best way to get more.  

Thylas are worth looking into breeding, to aid with cave defense; their bleed is handy against soakers.  Focus mainly on boosting their health.  They also come in handy for certain brute hunt missions on Gen1.  

• Like 1