ASA what do we get? (notice I did not ask when)

Frack

Considering the lack of details of what is coming on release, (most of the 'enhancements', DLC are scheduled after Aug 31 even into 2024 ( Would Sept be better date?) release) I have a few questions:

1. Will it be a simple import into UE5, with a 'few' fixes to code to make it run in UE5 ?
  2. Will it be import, fixes, added code (for what?) ?
  3. Will it be import, fixes, added code (for what?), MOD's integrated into base code so we don't have to download them that would update with server updates  (if so, do we get a voice into which ones ?) ?
  4. Considering questions 2 and 3, if they cause delay's to Aug 31 release (and knowing how much work is required to hit that date , actual deadline for code is probably closer to Jul 31) , what plan is in place if you miss the mark?

Considering the lack of communication on direction, methods, map of where you are going,  when, if ever , will we be given some kind 'data' where you are, where you are going, even what the targets are? Something more than images you have posted of what will be in ARK 2. Video of how it is going would be good, at least we  could see that there is a path you are on.

• Frack changed the title to ASA what do we get? (notice I did not ask when)
50 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Your best bet is to ask them on Twitter.

Nobody here has those answers and the devs won't answer here as well.

Also, good luck on getting those type of answers from any developer of any game.

I have gotten more detailed answers from developers about their goals, methods, directions. Have been in conversations with many personally online, so I know it is done.

The ones who do interface with customers have a better understanding of their audience, where they (players and coders) want to go, how to get there, and make money. 

I don't expect an answer here, it would be too private, I want answers in published way, such as Community Crunch posting where it will be picked up by the whole gaming community across the net, not just 10 or less posters here

4 hours ago, Frack said:

Considering the lack of details of what is coming on release, (most of the 'enhancements', DLC are scheduled after Aug 31 even into 2024 ( Would Sept be better date?) release) I have a few questions:

1. Will it be a simple import into UE5, with a 'few' fixes to code to make it run in UE5 ?
  2. Will it be import, fixes, added code (for what?) ?
  3. Will it be import, fixes, added code (for what?), MOD's integrated into base code so we don't have to download them that would update with server updates  (if so, do we get a voice into which ones ?) ?
  4. Considering questions 2 and 3, if they cause delay's to Aug 31 release (and knowing how much work is required to hit that date , actual deadline for code is probably closer to Jul 31) , what plan is in place if you miss the mark?

Considering the lack of communication on direction, methods, map of where you are going,  when, if ever , will we be given some kind 'data' where you are, where you are going, even what the targets are? Something more than images you have posted of what will be in ARK 2. Video of how it is going would be good, at least we  could see that there is a path you are on.

Im willing to bet its gonna be a copy and paste job from the switch, but with the graphics cranked to 10.....Seems whoever worked on the switch port did a bang up job. Its only 1 gb of data for all the maps up to extinction thus far, and seems to be running proper'ish.

Why pay for hard work when you can take someone else's

Graphics will be enhanced by default as that is a primary benefit of UE5, and the reduced size will be because of the way in UE5 graphics is handled, plus they will eliminate some size due to better way handling of platforms (pc, consoles).

And 5 handles meshes better so that may have impact on coding.

"Bunch of new stuff"  makes you wonder what they could add to TheIsland that would be new, if they don't change any of the map from what it is in ASE, where would they do it? now they could add dino's or items easily, but more than that would be big coding effort

Converting 4 to 5:

The difficulty of importing a multiplayer complex game from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5 will depend on a few factors, such as the size and complexity of the project, the extent of custom code and Blueprints used, and any compatibility issues between the two engines.

Unreal Engine 5 introduces several new features and improvements over UE4, such as the new Nanite geometry system, Lumen global illumination system, and improved animation tools. These new features could potentially make the process of importing and upgrading a UE4 multiplayer game to UE5 more complex, as it may require significant changes to the project's code and content to take advantage of these new systems.

That being said, Epic Games has stated that they are committed to ensuring a smooth transition between the two engines, and have provided several tools and resources to aid in the process of upgrading a project to UE5. For example, the Unreal Engine 5 Early Access version includes a tool called the "Migrator," which can automatically update certain aspects of a UE4 project to work in UE5.

Ultimately, the difficulty of importing a UE4 multiplayer game to UE5 will depend on the specific details of the project and how extensively it uses features that have changed between the two engines. It's always a good idea to thoroughly test and debug the project after the import to ensure everything is working as expected.

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, Frack said:

"Bunch of new stuff"  makes you wonder what they could add to TheIsland that would be new, if they don't change any of the map from what it is in ASE, where would they do it? now they could add dino's or items easily, but more than that would be big coding effort

The list of new stuff, according to them:

• Dynamic navigation mesh and creature pathfinding overhaul (AI pathfinding)
  • Photo Mode
  • Nvidia DLSS
  • Dino/Baby Management QOL
  • Wild Babies
  • Snap point improvements (new snaps, logic improvements)
  • Character creation & customization improvements
  • Cross-platform Multiplayer & Full Blueprint Modding (I know we mentioned this before, but we’re serious, it’s happening on PC and Consoles at launch, and we’ve got it working internally with Overwolf technology – this dramatically changes the nature of the console experience).

• 1 - Dynamic navigation mesh and creature pathfinding overhaul (AI pathfinding)
  • 2 - Photo Mode
  • 3 - Nvidia DLSS
  • 4 - Dino/Baby Management QOL
  • 5 - Wild Babies
  • 6 - Snap point improvements (new snaps, logic improvements)
  • 7 - Character creation & customization improvements
  • 8- Cross-platform Multiplayer & Full Blueprint Modding (I know we mentioned this before, but we’re serious, it’s happening on PC and Consoles at launch, and we’ve got it working internally with Overwolf technology – this dramatically changes the nature of the console experience).

1,2,3 are UE5 engine enhancement's

4,5 will  be new  (dino's and a bit of programing)

6,7,8 are UE5 engine enhancement's

So , biggest new coding would be 4,5.

Photo mode is a popular feature in modern games that allows players to pause the game and take screenshots from any angle, adjust camera settings and effects, and share their creations with others. Unreal Engine 5 has built-in support for photo mode, which makes it easy for developers to add this feature to their games.

Nvidia DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is a technology developed by Nvidia that uses artificial intelligence to improve the performance and image quality of games. It works by rendering the game at a lower resolution and then using AI-powered algorithms to upscale the image to a higher resolution. This can lead to significant improvements in performance and image quality, particularly on lower-end hardware. Unreal Engine 5 includes support for Nvidia DLSS, which means developers can easily integrate this technology into their games and take advantage of its benefits.

Both of these features are commonly used in modern games, and their support in Unreal Engine 5 makes it easier for developers to create high-quality, visually stunning games that offer a great experience to players

and 

Unreal Engine 5 does support snap point improvements, including new snaps and logic improvements.

Snap points are used in Unreal Engine to help objects and actors snap to a grid or to each other, making it easier to place and position objects in a scene. In UE5, Epic Games has made several improvements to the snap point system, including the addition of new snaps and logic improvements.

One of the key improvements in UE5 is the ability to snap objects to other objects' surfaces, which is known as surface snapping. This allows objects to snap to the surface of other objects, such as walls, floors, and ceilings, and can be particularly useful when building levels or environments.

UE5 also includes improvements to the logic behind snap points, which can help make object placement more intuitive and easier to use. For example, snap points can now be configured to automatically align objects based on their orientation or to snap objects to specific locations or angles.

Overall, the snap point improvements in UE5 make it easier for developers and designers to create more complex and detailed levels and environments, while also improving the precision and accuracy of object placement.

and

Unreal Engine 5 does not have any specific built-in features for character creation and customization, it provides a robust framework and many third-party tools and assets that developers can use to create highly customizable characters.

and

Unreal Engine 5 has cross-platform multiplayer support and full Blueprint modding capabilities.

Cross-platform multiplayer support means that games developed with Unreal Engine 5 can be played online by players on different platforms, such as PC, consoles, and mobile devices. The engine supports a wide range of networking features, including dedicated servers, peer-to-peer networking, and online matchmaking, which can be used to create multiplayer games with various player counts and game modes.

In terms of full Blueprint modding, Unreal Engine 5 provides a powerful visual scripting system called Blueprint, which allows developers to create gameplay mechanics, UI elements, and other game features without writing a single line of code. This means that even non-programmers can create and modify game content using Blueprint, which can greatly enhance the flexibility and modifiability of the game.

Furthermore, Unreal Engine 5 also provides a range of tools and features to support modding, such as content packaging and distribution, asset management, and version control. This can make it easier for developers to create and distribute moddable games, and for modders to create and share their own content and modifications.

Overall, Unreal Engine 5 provides robust support for cross-platform multiplayer and full Blueprint modding, which can help developers create highly customizable and moddable games that can be played by a wide range of players across different platforms

19 hours ago, Frack said:

Bunch of new stuff"  makes you wonder what they could add to TheIsland that would be new, if they don't change any of the map from what it is in ASE, where would they do it? now they could add dino's or items easily, but more than that would be big coding effort

there was a few spots I thought they wanted or tried to add a cave system to, but either chickened out or had a problem with it, so they nerfed it. On the west side of the north central mountain, there is a very weird flat spot that looked like it was a cave when its unrendered. But its awful large compared to the rest of the caves, so maybe its just a coincidence. 

11 hours ago, SlipperySquid said:

I really wished i had direct access to ask dev's stuff because i really want to know if we will be losing all OCE servers when ASA comes out since with every patch and every map we had less and less OCE servers as well as no 6 man OCE servers.

On the one hand, I feel ya....Just wish I could say something and they listened and acknowledged it. Hell, they need money? I got 12 different ways to push bank clear to the volcano......Those plushies they one time gave away? Boom, $30 of overpriced fluff, while supplies last. Concept art of the dino's? $20 a poster. FALLOUT 4 HAS A REAL LIFE COOKBOOK, AND I OWN ONE!!!

It can come together quickly and its how a lot of other games made their backup bank without pushing microtransactions.

===========================================

Going back to the asking devs stuff. I get it. If everyone's voice is heard, then no one is heard. Only the masses.
So in that regard, sadly, I get it.

Unfortunately Wildcard has always been this way.  And probably always will. They even have community managers but do they even use them? Not that I've ever seen. It's frustrating. I mean, you have community managers for other companies that put out content and interact with the community. Seems realistic enough. Even easy to implement.  Will they do it? I wouldn't bet on it. Instead, they rely on twitter posts promising things that they go back on and then kinda sorta apologize while doing something that seems similar to giving us the shaft. And then wonder why we complain. Oh wait, they'd have to actually care to wonder. I've been tracking the numbers since March 31st. When all of this started all time reviews were 83% positive and recent reviews were 80% positive. Currently the game is still at 83% positive for all time but only 60% positive for recent reviews. That's very telling to people looking to buy the game. Will it change anything? No.

Archived