The Fuzzy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka! [UPDATED+NEW ART!]

Sovira

@captainfatdog that is actually very interesting about them being found moreso in the tropics! When I went to see if I could put it back up I was honestly scared because of the fur but I did a search on desert spiders and some of them were fluffy, my friend who lives in saudi arabia had posted a picture of one a long time ago and I remembered it being pretty fluffy as well! Definitely agree on the reality being 'hairy' lol now I'm unsure of if I should change that or not

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, missyvissie said:

Had to come check out this bad boy again and maybe a suggestion! What if they were lowkey mean as hell, and did extra damage against other spiders? In the wild, actual jumping spiders have a tendency to cannibalise other spiders so would be interesting to see this as a little extra perk. Extra damage against both araneo and other jumping spiders? 👀 Maybe good at harvesting a certain material from spiders?

possibly a silk harvesting perk with them, unless they automatically made their own over time! But this does sound really good, and since it goes in line with the realism of jumping spiders being like the king snakes of the spider world!

On 4/11/2023 at 10:35 PM, Sovira said:

lol now I'm unsure of if I should change that or not

No need to change anything. I think your submission perfect as it is.

15 hours ago, Sovira said:

Thanks! Same thing goes for the Sand Spider!, even just making it to the top 10 is a bit of a feat in itself :)

I think this spider can be in the top 10 for the next creature submission.

13 hours ago, FentScifer said:

No need to change anything. I think your submission perfect as it is.

I think this spider can be in the top 10 for the next creature submission.

Thank you! I'm wondering if mythical creatures would be available in the next one, and if so this may not stand a chance lol, but definitely hoping it's real world stuffs!

Considering what they did with the Rhyniognatha, I will put a detailed version of my ideas for this creature.

Overall, the creature will be balanced to have low to average stats. It will be a early/mid game creature that focus on taming with possibilities to use in late game thanks to the ability scaling on some stats.

Female

1. Rideable, with average health
  2. Slow, can walk on walls/ceiling
  3. Can't jump except with the locking on ability
  4. Cast net and Locking on abilities
    1. The net will consume stamina over time.
    2. The speed stat, instead of increasing the speed, will increase the drag weight of the creature that can be affected by the net. The max drag weight will be the larger creatures of Ark except Titans/Boss.
  5. Scary-face ability (cool ability but optional)
  6. Can't induce torpor
  7. Behavior in the wild:
    1. The female will be aggressive toward unconscious creatures and if attacked directly (not if others spiders are attacked near).
    2. If attacked and with no males around, the female will flee. As she is slow, she can use the scary face to evade. This is where the scary face has its purpose.
    3. If attacked with males around, the female will use the net on the aggressors to help the males.
  8. Behavior tamed:
    1. The abilities can be used only while rided.
    2. If the rider dismount the spider when using an ability, the ability will stop.

Male

1. Shoulder pet, much smaller than the female with low health
  2. Fast, can walk on walls/ceiling
  3. Can't jump except when using venom ability
  4. Dance ability to tame the female and mating
    1. The ability can be activated when tamed like light pet.
    2. They can't dance on the shoulder.
  5. Venom ability
    1. The male can jump and bite at a target.
    2. The bite inflict very few damage but a lot of torpor over time.
    3. The cooldown of the ability will be high to avoid spamming.
    4. The melee stat, instead of increasing the damage, will increase the torpor inflicted by the venom ability.
  6. Can't cast net nor use the scary face abilities
  7. Behavior in the wild:
    1. The male will be aggressive toward small creatures and unconscious creatures or if attacked.
    2. To attack, it will use only its venom ability until the creature is unconscious.
  8. Behavior tamed:
    1. The venom ability can be used only while on the shoulder.
    2. When the venom ability is used, the male will return to its owner if passive.

Spawn in the wild

In Scorched earth, this creature can be found in the canyons near the water in group with 0 to 1 female and 1 to 3 males.

On the other maps, the creature will spawn in forest in a group with 0 to 1 female and 2 to 5 males.

Taming

The male is tamed via classic KO method.

The female is tamed using a male. To initiate the taming of the female, it should be only 1 female and only 1 male around and the male should dance near the female.

When taming the female, the male and the female should dance 1 at a time. It will be your role to stop/start the dancing of the male corresponding to the female state.

If both male and female are in the same state (dancing or not dancing), the taming will fail and the female will lock on the male and instantly kill it.

The taming process will last a long time (few minutes) until the taming progress reaches 100%.

Breeding

The mating process will be the same as the taming process. This mean that when you tame a female, she will have eggs immediately.

The eggs will not drop on the floor but instead will stay on a poach on the female. It will be like gestating.

Roles of the creature with that suggestion

Anti-taming in the wild : this creature will attack the unconscious creatures so be careful when taming via KO as this spider can eat the creature you're trying to tame.

Early male taming helper :  the male will be easier to get and the venom ability will help taming via KO.

Solo explorer/tamer : as the male is shoulder pet and the female rideable, both can be used to travel in solo and benefit of the mating boost. The mating boost can help the creature to be more useful against the big danger of Ark.

Female disabler in PvE and PvP : with the locking on ability, the female can be used to disable one specific target in a fight. With breeding and scaling of the ability on a stat, it can be used even in late game PvE/PvP while being an average creature.

Collection creature : dancing ad mutation are cool.

Limitations of the suggestion

The male will be weak (low health and low damage for the male). The female will have difficulties to escape (speed cap and have to be close to the target when casting net). A pack of raptor can easily kill a group of spiders in the wild, except if the female has the scary face and can flee.

The use of the abilities when tamed always require a player and have a cooldown. So it limit overuse for PvE and PvP.

1 hour ago, FentScifer said:

Considering what they did with the Rhyniognatha, I will put a detailed version of my ideas for this creature.

Overall, the creature will be balanced to have low to average stats. It will be a early/mid game creature that focus on taming with possibilities to use in late game thanks to the ability scaling on some stats.

Female

2. The speed stat, instead of increasing the speed, will increase the drag weight of the creature that can be affected by the net. The max drag weight will be the larger creatures of Ark except Titans/Boss.
  6. Can't induce torpor
  7. Behavior in the wild:
    1. The female will be aggressive toward unconscious creatures and if attacked directly (not if others spiders are attacked near).
    2. If attacked and with no males around, the female will flee. As she is slow, she can use the scary face to evade. This is where the scary face has its purpose.
    3. If attacked with males around, the female will use the net on the aggressors to help the males.
  8. Behavior tamed:
    2. If the rider dismount the spider when using an ability, the ability will stop.

Male

4. Dance ability to tame the female
  5. Venom ability
    4. The melee stat, instead of increasing the damage, will increase the torpor inflicted by the venom ability.
  7. Behavior in the wild:
    1. The male will be aggressive toward small creatures and unconscious creatures or if attacked.
    2. To attack, it will use only its venom ability until the creature is unconscious.
  8. Behavior tamed:
    2. When the venom ability is used, the male will return to its owner if passive.

The creature will spawn in the wild in a group with 0 to 1 female and 2 to 5 males.

Anti-taming in the wild : this creature will attack the unconscious creatures so be careful when taming via KO as this spider can eat the creature you're trying to tame.

Early male taming helper :  the male will be easier to get and the venom ability will help taming via KO.

Solo explorer/tamer : as the male is shoulder pet and the female rideable, both can be used to travel in solo and benefit of the mating boost. The mating boost can help the creature to be more useful against the big danger of Ark.

Female disabler in PvE and PvP : with the locking on ability, the female can be used to disable one specific target in a fight. With breeding and scaling of the ability on a stat, it can be used even in late game PvE/PvP while being an average creature.

The male will be weak (low health and low damage for the male). The female will have difficulties to escape (speed cap and have to be close to the target when casting net). A pack of raptor can easily kill a group of spiders in the wild, except if the female has the scary face and can flee.

The use of the abilities when tamed always require a player and have a cooldown. So it limit overuse for PvE and PvP.

This all sounds extremely good and well thought out too! I do like the idea of males being potential shoulder buddies which would be adorable, especially if they could do torpor attacks like this! 

6 hours ago, Orion1234 said:

with also they idea that it could create a silk like dome surrounding you and pull you up to the top of a cave and will stay with you

This and could even see it using its silk as a defense, maybe it has a thread with enough strength that it could be harvested for use with other items

• Sovira changed the title to The Fuzzy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka!
1 hour ago, KrishRox101 said:

again, not suited for scorched earth or this vote, it just beat shuntangosaurus who id say is one of the better ones

Considering there are jumping spiders all over the deserts in real life, including very hairy ones much like this, this is more than suited for Scorched Earth, and especially its caves. I'm sorry to upset you, I've seen quite a few who are way down below the hundreds on votes and they look absolutely fantastic! There is still time, so don't give up on the one you favor the most just yet. :) 

On 4/8/2023 at 3:25 PM, Sovira said:

I was wondering how they could be beneficial to getting eggs too, since it is Scorched Earth... ;)

I think it would still be fun to be scared for your life and your argy as you escape with a level 45 egg. I’m not all for making ark easier, but would rather we still have our challenges

6 hours ago, StrandedAndStoopid said:

I think it would still be fun to be scared for your life and your argy as you escape with a level 45 egg. I’m not all for making ark easier, but would rather we still have our challenges

Absolutely! This wouldn't necessarily make it easier, as the spider could be made into a slow crawler, thus it being potentially far more scary / something you wouldn't want to get caught doing by the wyverns :) 

I love the Idea of a cute spider in ark. My personal suggestion if you go for the bola idea would be to make it the size of a shoulder pet. And click the attack button to throw it at a creature where it will web it up and nock it out. So it will effectively act like a pet net and tranquilizer. And maybe have it jump as it follows you. And maybe it will have a passive ability to scare off other creaturs. My other Idea is for it to just be a giant ridable jumping spider. Where it can climb walls, ceilings, and jump great hights. It might be cool to give a lasso ability similar to the Eques, where it immobilizes a creature in webbs, which then can be carried around. And lastly,  maybe a scare ability.

I have wanted a form of fluffier more seriously designed spider in Ark for so long since they still have those Araneo that haven't gotten a single wink of TLC and likely won't until deep into AS . But I love this, any kind of jumping Spider I love, we got the Bloostalker but that's more of a spider combined with a water strider from World of Warcraft (look it up if you don't get it, they look so similar in their shapes and forms, both the tall Zangarmarsh Fen Strider ones and the water walking kinds).

This guy is adorable and I love the more complex form of taming/behavior. Although I don't know if it's really the kind of creature that would actually fit in Scorched that well. If this thing is as fluid as any true wall-walker as opposed to the wall-climbers I feel like this is actually taking away from the challenge of this map. The map I actually see this fitting better is ironically Lost Island, but sadly we can't vote for that one. When I really feel like it's jungles deserved some form of giant hairy spider.

I guess one way to balance this better would be to determine what location it spawns in. This can help a lot, as putting them in a harder area full of dangerous creatures like a cave or whatever area you imagine it in (likely with lots of walls for climbing and stalking unsuspecting prey). I think this could be made more clear by picking on a specific area it would inhabit that fits it's tier as essentially the spider version of a Lymantria (WHY do so many bugs need TLCs in Ark WHY?!) with how low its weight is. I doubt the weight would limit people from using it to steal eggs though. As someone who has thoroughly uses Rock Drakes and Thylas, I definitely think this creature could use a good combination of crawl and jump (obviously) to make sure this isn't just a 360 turning superseded Megalania. If anything though, this thing needs the ability to recharge Stam on walls when still, at the very least, and maybe even not use it when just walking on them, sprinting being the one that can either save you or dump your spider and it's Stamina bar off a cliff.

So TLDR:

Great idea, great behaviors. But I'd like to know some more details. Where does it spawn? How do you tame it? What type of climbing should it have? Should it have a saddle or no? What would they gather from bodies or things they cocoon? Would the females play differently and have different abilities or stats? Likely if they're bigger and more aggressive.

Some extra points for mechanics and such.

- Can harvest Silk? Nah, or make it to harvest over time from its inventory?

- Should have basically no fall damage like Deinonychyus cause it's so light. So you can jump at your leisure, the only thing cuter i can see them doing is using a silk woven net to glide by hanging onto it.

- Females would be a side hazard to deal with by being aggressive unlike the males, and part of the progression of taming them.

- Fear should be limited to things smaller than Yuty can fear but not by a huge amount. Cause a tiny fluffy spider should not scare a Yutyrannus or Wyvern away.

1 hour ago, Luux said:

This guy is adorable and I love the more complex form of taming/behavior. Although I don't know if it's really the kind of creature that would actually fit in Scorched that well. If this thing is as fluid as any true wall-walker as opposed to the wall-climbers I feel like this is actually taking away from the challenge of this map.

So TLDR:

Great idea, great behaviors. But I'd like to know some more details. Where does it spawn? How do you tame it? What type of climbing should it have? Should it have a saddle or no? What would they gather from bodies or things they cocoon? Would the females play differently and have different abilities or stats? Likely if they're bigger and more aggressive.

Check one of my previous reply. I propose answers to some of your questions.

As for being a wall-walker on Scorched earth, my proposal makes the female only rideable and a wall-walker. Females are slow with a movement speed limit, with average health and can't jump to another wall like Rock drake (megalania like but slower). Thylacoleo and Argentavis will be far more suited to get Wyvern eggs and are mid-game creatures (more health, faster and better fighter).

So this spider, while giving a new option to get Wyvern eggs, will not overtake the current ways to get it and using this spider will be more dangerous. This spider main focus is taming before traveling.

Also, it is possible to transfer tame/stuff from others maps on cluster so the 'Scorched earth challenge' is not reduced to Scorched earth content only.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:47 PM, FentScifer said:

Female

6. Can't induce torpor
  7. Behavior in the wild:
  8. Behavior tamed:

Male

4. Dance ability to tame the female
  5. Venom ability
  7. Behavior in the wild:
  8. Behavior tamed:

Spawn in the wild

In Scorched earth, this creature can be found in the canyons near the water in group with 0 to 1 female and 1 to 3 males.

On the other maps, the creature will spawn in forest in a group with 0 to 1 female and 2 to 5 males.

May I add this to the submission? I think this is extremely well thought out and the submission could definitely use some alternative ideas!

• Sovira changed the title to The Fuzzy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka! [UPDATED+NEW ART!]

Archived