Are Manta Rays perpetually pissed?

Dam Son

how do you guys tame one? I made a trap cage lured it into my cage, slathered on some bug spray, insert angler gel into its glory hole and still it goes crazy mad for no reason. sometimes it moves so randomly and you brush up against it and it goes angry again.

tried taming it next to a beach, nope, for some reason it goes angry and attacks you... and naturally, you run for the beach... aaand it's dead.

so guys? what's your method? is it even possible to tame one without aggravating it? I eventually managed to tame one. but it was like trying to tame a wasp.

You're all more well prepared than I was! I'd post a picture if I could, but I don't have one available, so here's what I did:

-Found shallow(ish) water, and build a 2x2 foundation square, and 3 high set of stone door frames. The last one baaarely stuck out of the water. The front (facing the ocean) had one set of door frames, and one with none, leaving just enough room for it to squeeze in. 

-Lured the ornery jerk into the trap, and sealed it with more door frames. Then I built a stone ceiling on the outside 2 frames high, so I could stand on it with my head out of the water. 

-The entirety of the walls were frames since the manta went apepoop the entire time, I needed as many escape routes as possible. I heard its feeding interval is lower when its attacking, and I was too cheap to make repellant. It did seem to eat very fast, comparable to the Lystro (it was enraged the entire time)

-I'd sit on my ceiling tile watching it trash about, then leap on top of it to feed, then flail madly to escape through one of the doorframes. Half the time I'd get out unscathed, the rest of the time I'd get a good bite or two in

I was able to tame it without dying, albeit it tore up an entire set of hide armor, and made me go through several healing tonics. I then beached it by accident, twice, and barely escaped it dying by some miracle. It's too dangerous to ride him around, so it just sits there in my water base, but its probably been my most difficult tame yet!

20 minutes ago, Airthrow said:

You're all more well prepared than I was! I'd post a picture if I could, but I don't have one available, so here's what I did:

-Found shallow(ish) water, and build a 2x2 foundation square, and 3 high set of stone door frames. The last one baaarely stuck out of the water. The front (facing the ocean) had one set of door frames, and one with none, leaving just enough room for it to squeeze in. 

-Lured the ornery jerk into the trap, and sealed it with more door frames. Then I built a stone ceiling on the outside 2 frames high, so I could stand on it with my head out of the water. 

-The entirety of the walls were frames since the manta went apepoop the entire time, I needed as many escape routes as possible. I heard its feeding interval is lower when its attacking, and I was too cheap to make repellant. It did seem to eat very fast, comparable to the Lystro (it was enraged the entire time)

-I'd sit on my ceiling tile watching it trash about, then leap on top of it to feed, then flail madly to escape through one of the doorframes. Half the time I'd get out unscathed, the rest of the time I'd get a good bite or two in

I was able to tame it without dying, albeit it tore up an entire set of hide armor, and made me go through several healing tonics. I then beached it by accident, twice, and barely escaped it dying by some miracle. It's too dangerous to ride him around, so it just sits there in my water base, but its probably been my most difficult tame yet!

My tribemate was trying to tame one the other night , they kept committing suicide.. like literally 20 mantas he tried to tame, killed themselves (rather than be owned by him was the joke hahah)

He finally tames one, dies the second he mounts it.. now he's since tamed another but it just sits in a deep water pen .. talk about glass cannon

23 minutes ago, d1nk said:

My tribemate was trying to tame one the other night , they kept committing suicide.. like literally 20 mantas he tried to tame, killed themselves (rather than be owned by him was the joke hahah)

He finally tames one, dies the second he mounts it.. now he's since tamed another but it just sits in a deep water pen .. talk about glass cannon

exactly! I wasn't planning on using it for much, maybe a faster way to sail than the icthy, but after seeing how desperate these things are to die, I'm tempted to build a box around it, even though it's on passive, and surrounded by other sea beasts on passive. 

I too know the pain of the wild ones committing suicide, the one I have was about the 9th I lured close, I had to make my box that far out specifically cause they'd leap onto the beach with joy. They're so fragile, its easy to forget what a menace they are when oil/pearl diving! 

give him my condolences, but at least he has a funny story for it now :)

Archived