Character Just dont want to get played

SirIndoraptor

12 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

Did you create a new character on the server? if so, you have likely overwritten the character and it will disappear on server reset.

When I was loading into the server it said create new character or download character… so yeah made a new character and can’t even forcejoin the tribe

3 hours ago, SirIndoraptor said:

Thanks for being honest man even though it’s hard to hear I’m glad u guys are honest 

Yeah, I just had the same thing happen to me. Luckily I was able to admin command the tribe to my new character, but yeah. I got a ghost hanging around my base too. Half tempted to feed him to the local wildlife.

Its a shame wildcard did not add a "force become target" code, but maybe this will not be a bug in ark 2.....probably not, but hoping anyhow

50 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Yeah, I just had the same thing happen to me. Luckily I was able to admin command the tribe to my new character, but yeah. I got a ghost hanging around my base too. Half tempted to feed him to the local wildlife.

Its a shame wildcard did not add a "force become target" code, but maybe this will not be a bug in ark 2.....probably not, but hoping anyhow

I’m sorry that it happened to u to but it’s nice to hear I’m not the only one

6 hours ago, SirIndoraptor said:

but do anyone know what causes this to happen?

Yes, you can only have one character per server because the server only has one file per player.

On single player it will look something like this:

..\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\SavedArksLocal\LocalPlayer.arkprofile

Or on a regular server it will look something like this:

../arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/Island/12345678901234567.arkprofile

That file can only contain information for one character, so if you create a new character on a map that already has a character the game writes over the old file with a new file. The game still remembers that an older character used to be there, but it no longer has a file with the information that would allow you to play the character.

The rule you want to follow is that if you have an existing character on a map, never choose Create New Character, it will destroy your existing character except for that ghost you're looking at.

11 hours ago, SirIndoraptor said:

When I was loading into the server it said create new character or download character… so yeah made a new character and can’t even forcejoin the tribe

If this is on single player or on a server that you own, you can use admin commands to take ownership of the dinos and buildings that used to belong to your ghost character.

If this is on an Official server you will need to submit a support ticket and hope they respond before your stuff despawns.

if this is on an Unofficial server you will need to contact the server administrator to transfer ownership to you.

10 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Ark 2 what’s that never heard of it although I think it was in a myth in a story.

9 hours ago, SirIndoraptor said:

but do anyone know what causes this to happen?

For mine, it was a simple roll back.....I took my Adam character to the obelisk to change characters and when I did, the opening cinematic crashed the game. The game acknowledged my upload of the Adam character and saved it. However the game also acknowledged the download of the second character, Bob, and removed its save from the cloud. But when the game crashed, it did not save Bob "IN" the game. When the game rebooted, the cloud did not have Bob and the game rolled back to a save where Bob was not in the server. Thus, he is lost forever. Even though his body is just floating in the doorway of my base.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

For mine, it was a simple roll back.....I took my Adam character to the obelisk to change characters and when I did, the opening cinematic crashed the game. The game acknowledged my upload of the Adam character and saved it. However the game also acknowledged the download of the second character, Bob, and removed its save from the cloud. But when the game crashed, it did not save Bob "IN" the game. When the game rebooted, the cloud did not have Bob and the game rolled back to a save where Bob was not in the server. Thus, he is lost forever. Even though his body is just floating in the doorway of my base.

@SirIndoraptor this is pretty much how it happens.  The system is supposed to catch these moments from occurring these days, but its Ark, DILO happens.

Archived