I don't want to be involved in this forum community.

Nyc

Wanted to address a Mod warning I just got for trying to post to 30 posts. I attempted to mail this person, but got a system error saying they don't receive mail.

I don't want to be involved with this forum community. I want to vote on my favorite ARK Mod. The two are completely unrelated. The fact that I have over 700 hours played of ark and run my own dedicated server for 20+ people should be enough to legitimize a vote for an ark mod. Not whether I'm involved in the smallest of the three ARK forum communities (ARK on Steam, Ark on Reddit and SurvivetheArk).

It's fine if you don't want forum spam, but don't act like the request for people to be involved in this specific forum community to vote is at all legitimate.

I'm sure the forum community here is lovely, but I don't desire to be a part of it and being active in it should have no bearing on my ability to vote for my favorite mod.

• Volunteer Moderator

I believe the reason is to prevent ballot box stuffing.

If you can just register and vote, then anyone with any interenet savy could create dozens of email account and stuff the ballot box. 

It has nothing to do with hours(I have 2500) or admining servers(which I also do).

This community has been up for a while and posted on the steam forum for a while.  It is invidual choice to participate or not.

6 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

"I don't want to participate in this community, but I still think this community should care about my opinions."

Seems legit.

Except "this community" isn't some third party putting on a mod contest. The mod contest is being put on by the game developer for people who play the game, not for people who play the game and also post in their forum community.

The requirement is used to avoid ballot stuffing and not because the vote is only open to members of this forum community. Claiming otherwise makes you look ignorant. The point is that there has to be a better way to avoid ballot stuffing.

10 minutes ago, Grayden178 said:

Is this the only place that the Mod vote is happening? If there is other places in which you can vote, then go vote there.

If not and this is the only place, then you should have to be a part of this community (or at least pretend like you want to be---30 post limit).

This is the only place the vote is occurring. The vote is for players of ARK, not for people involved in Wildcards forum community. This is why they advertise and post the vote on every ARK communication medium including Steam and Reddit.

You are arguing something that isn't even an issue. The vote isn't just for members of the official forums. The post requirement is just being used to avoid ballot stuffing. The discussion that is important here is how is there not a better way to avoid ballot stuffing.

Side Note: 6/30. #Gettingthere

1 minute ago, Nyc said:

This is the only place the vote is occurring. The vote is for players of ARK, not for people involved in Wildcards forum community. This is why they advertise and post the vote on every ARK communication medium including Steam and Reddit.

You are arguing something that isn't even an issue. The vote isn't just for members of the official forums. The post requirement is just being used to avoid ballot stuffing. The discussion that is important here is how is there not a better way to avoid ballot stuffing.

6 minutes ago, Nyc said:

Except "this community" isn't some third party putting on a mod contest. The mod contest is being put on by the game developer for people who play the game, not for people who play the game and also post in their forum community.

The requirement is used to avoid ballot stuffing and not because the vote is only open to members of this forum community. Claiming otherwise makes you look ignorant. The point is that there has to be a better way to avoid ballot stuffing.

It doesn't matter who puts up the vote contest. It's a matter of where it is being held. I completely agree, there should be a better way to handle the voting and the ballot stuffing. BUT for now, it is located in this community so this forum community has the right determine who has the rights to vote, to prevent ballot stuffing.

Perhaps, maybe suggest a way to help with ballot stuffing rather than just complaining about it.

10 minutes ago, Nyc said:

Claiming otherwise makes you look ignorant.

I'd argue that it makes you look ignorant when you come on to a forum openly stating that you don't care about participating in it's community, and then expect anyone to have any sympathy for (or interest in helping with) your problems. But hey, what do I know.

Besides, it's not like it's that hard to make 30 legitimate posts in a forum. Nobody is saying you have to write a meticulously-researched thesis for each of your 30 posts... just go read some fun/interesting threads, post insubstantial "lol, nice one" type comments, maybe toss out some easy tips and tricks to newbies looking for help... and you'll be able to cast your vote in no time. Or just post an inflammatory thread and argue with the people who reply to it. If having your opinion noted on this survey is that important to you, it shouldn't me too tough to manage.

1 minute ago, Grayden178 said:

Perhaps, maybe suggest a way to help with ballot stuffing rather than just complaining about it.

^ Or that.

@Gratden178

Do you just say things without thinking about what they mean? These are Wildcard's forums. This community isn't deciding how to avoid ballot stuffing, Wildcard is. I am speaking to Wildcard when I say a better method needs to be employed. Saying that you disagree with something is important even if you don't provide a solution. It allows the people who are experts in the field/product/policy know that their user/customer/constituents are unhappy with something and that a fix is desired if one is available.

10 minutes ago, Bigskybear said:

Well, not trying to sound like a jerk, but there is an upside to you arguing the point with people here...at least you might hit that 30 post limit :)

Absolutely. It is the primary reason I am posting. I'm at 8/30. This gives me something to post about that is specific to WIldcard's official forums.

7 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

I'd argue that it makes you look ignorant when you come on to a forum openly stating that you don't care about participating in it's community, and then expect anyone to have any sympathy for (or interest in helping with) your problems. But hey, what do I know.

Besides, it's not like it's that hard to make 30 legitimate posts in a forum. Nobody is saying you have to write a meticulously-researched thesis for each of your 30 posts... just go read some fun/interesting threads, post insubstantial "lol, nice one" type comments, maybe toss out some easy tips and tricks to newbies looking for help... and you'll be able to cast your vote in no time. Or just post an inflammatory thread and argue with the people who reply to it. If having your opinion noted on this survey is that important to you, it shouldn't me too tough to manage.

^ Or that.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm airing a grievance. Where did I state that it's hard? I stated that it is a poor system for vote validation. Pretty sure a discussion board is for discussions, not a circle-jerk of agreement. I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

• Volunteer Moderator

The amount of time you have spent in this thread you could have easily made 30 genuine posts on the forum by now.

This is the process taking place for this Mod Contest. If you have an issue with how the forum is run please submit a ticket: http://support.survivetheark.com/

• GP locked this topic

Archived