Tired of World Save lag.

Jemcrystal

On 1/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, invincibleqc said:

That is really only the case on PvE. I've never experienced saves as long on PvP than I did on PvE.

The majority of the crap they have to save is the same from the last save. That's why a smarter algorithm could make em the same. Basically make it so the server is only mussing about with the data as it changes because it changed, rather than what is obviously happening: every fifteen minutes everything pauses and the server mutters to itself about everything, regardless as to whether or not anything even happened to any of it. To put it another way, if I build a base and don't do any renovations for five years, why does the server need to re calculate my base every fifteen min? That's like writtting an essay and saving it to your external hard disk, and forgetting about it, but your crazy aunt comes into your room every 15min and plugs that damn hard drive in and reboots your old high school essay into ram for no freaking reason! the old desktop aint going to be as good as it could be lol.

• Volunteer Moderator
48 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

The majority of the crap they have to save is the same from the last save. That's why a smarter algorithm could make em the same. Basically make it so the server is only mussing about with the data as it changes because it changed, rather than what is obviously happening: every fifteen minutes everything pauses and the server mutters to itself about everything, regardless as to whether or not anything even happened to any of it. To put it another way, if I build a base and don't do any renovations for five years, why does the server need to re calculate my base every fifteen min? That's like writtting an essay and saving it to your external hard disk, and forgetting about it, but your crazy aunt comes into your room every 15min and plugs that damn hard drive in and reboots your old high school essay into ram for no freaking reason! the old desktop aint going to be as good as it could be lol.

Whether you interacted with your base or not, it changed by the simple fact of being rendered and going out of stasis. I mean, it could have run out of power, could have been damaged, could have decayed, someone could have taken stuff from a storage and put it into another, your plants could have died from dehydration,  lack of fertilizer, your dinos could have moved to defend themselves, could have starved, could have pooped and that poop have to be saved, ... well, you get the point. The game is extremely dynamic and a lot changes just for simply existing.

Could they optimize it? Probably. And I'm sure they do the best they can where they can. The real challenge is like anything else; how do you optimize such a complex system that rely on even more complex moving parts while keeping backward compatibility. Because at the end of the day, they can't just re-write everything while keeping player's progress intact.

Anyways, this was a 14 months old post you quoted right there and I really don't feel like eating dust for lunch.

@sjskdjkfa@invincibleqc I guess we can all thank @Bumblebeefor necro'ing a year old thread. :)

@sjskdjkfa It's easy to say "a smarter algorithm" but actually doing it's a lot harder than it sounds. I'm sure we could have a multi-page discussion with a bunch of developers and other IT professionals weighing in on the subject, but the basic answer is that it's harder than it sounds, and very often you can't just optimize existing code without rewriting it from scratch. Don't get me wrong, WildCard is a bad actor in many ways, but that doesn't make them automatically guilty of not trying.

Let's just all keep our fingers crossed and hope that WC has learned a lot over the last few years so that they're writing ARK2 from the ground up to avoid many of the problems that have constantly plagued ARK.

Archived