this game is frustrating!

BizzlesLunchBox

I have been looking for a giga for 5 days now. I come online 8am UK time till about 2am I haven’t seen one wild giga. The only time I see one is after the server resets and a tamed one. everyone on the server has about 8 so they must be spawning. I also want: high level: bright green or pink spino, all white rex and all white argie. They are never about! I used to see all of them apart from the giga all the time! where are they now?! I’ve literally spent 24 real hours flying around the map looking for dinos. I have killed all the spinos and rexs I’ve seen so new ones spawn. I’m going to try the kill everything technique so increase chances of a giga spawn

20 hours ago, BizzlesLunchBox said:

I have been looking for a giga for 5 days now. I come online 8am UK time till about 2am I haven’t seen one wild giga. The only time I see one is after the server resets and a tamed one. everyone on the server has about 8 so they must be spawning. I also want: high level: bright green or pink spino, all white rex and all white argie. They are never about! I used to see all of them apart from the giga all the time! where are they now?! I’ve literally spent 24 real hours flying around the map looking for dinos. I have killed all the spinos and rexs I’ve seen so new ones spawn. I’m going to try the kill everything technique so increase chances of a giga spawn

try looking on the northeast mountain, below carno island. have a base on bottom of it. they keep spawning pretty close to top of that mountain ( had 2 in the past 5 days) its also a good mountain for alpha hunting sometimes there are spawning 4-6 per day. ( all of them)

• Volunteer Moderator

Sometimes, don't see them for a while.  Then Tuesday night, I find a 76 on F. Fang, who I lead out to water to drown.

A little bit later, I find one on F. Tooth near my base; a lvl 8 which I kill.

Next day, I log in jump on my argen, fly down to the river, and notice a Giga right at the edge of the woods, not far from my base.  Another lvl 8, which probably came off of of F. Tooth; so I kill it.

Later that night, coming back of F. Tooth, another stinking giga!  This time, lvl 120.  So I clear out some trees and bolders at the bottom of the hill, grab a stego with my Q, and lead it, with only two short detours, right into my giant taming pit.  Took for ever to drop it, but final did, and kibble tamed it.  It is only slighly better than the 88 lvl tamed a long time ago, but, it is better; guess a new roung of breeding coming up.

Finally, ran across another that night on F. Fang, who I lured down to the mountain and out into the water for its final bath.

Not see one since.

Beside the spots listed above(F. Fang, F. Tooth, Fars Peak, and Whitesky), they also spawn on the Volcano.

On F. Fang, most of the ones I have seen spawn on the W, NW side.  On F. Tooth, the spawn at the very top, W side, just ove the peak; and also on the N. Side.  On Fars Peak, I usually find them on SE to E to NE sides of the mountain.  On Whitesky, I have found them all over; the ones that spawn on the N side are the easiest to drag into the water if you want to kill them(almost fall into the ocean); but I killed two on the E side the other day(kill one, switch off the guns, was about to fly to the top, and ran right into a second one).

As for the Volcano, the few I have seen there have all been on the W side.

Important to note:

1.  Gigas can hide in the woods much too easily; it is a bit unnerving when you know they are in there, but you cannot see them.

2. The can make like an osterich and bury themselves in the sides of hills, cliff faces, and mountains; sometimes, almost up to their tails.  The last one I killed on F. Fang I almost missed, because it was buried and the rest of it blended in with the rocks.

3.  Gigas are stupid fast.   Even if you know where they normally spawn, if they become active before you can find them, they can end up at the bottom of the mountain, and in the woods, or stalking the rivers, or whatever, very quickly.    So, after checking the tops of the mountain on a server restart, the next thing is to start patrolling the edge of edge of the woods near those mountains....very carefully.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Yep. Still, they spawn randomly in batches. Same for the Quetzs.

No wild beavers or rhinos yet. Finally found wolves near the North shore in the Snow Biome. The Western ice pack melted away during a heat wave when I went looking for crystal there. Needless to say, no crystal was found.

Seems to be a bug/issue on SP games with over spawning of gigas.  If I saw 4 on F. Tooth at one time, I am not sure what I would do.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

There is five in that posted photo. There were more on that one peak killing everything. Periodically, I will just use the destroyall giga cheat to clean them out.

Guess my mind blocked out part of the horror. :D

Yeah, you are not left with much choice there.  It is sort of the iron of the giga.  They spawn rarely, but kill everything, and given enough time, spawn more, which kills even more, until the RNG can spawn another.  

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, Martyn said:

How are you killing them?

I have a Q named Gigabuster.   I probably cannot build it again because of recent changes, but I used the foundation lowering method, and then, was able to place some foundations inside of the Q, which allowed my to place forward mounted ceiling to the left and right of the Q's head, at about head level.  Then on the ceilings, I put a bunch of turrets.  

I fly to the giga, switch on the genny, and I gun the giga down.

With the guns mounted on the front, it is much easier to follow them and also not get too low;  use to have the gun on the back, and it was a pain trying to keep the guns on target, because you could not always see the giga.

Otherwise, the other way I kill them, is drowning; I do this when the are close to coast.  I used to do this also when they were inland, but it is a lot more work(because they can get side tracked so easily) and I just got tired of doing it, so I built Gigabuster V1 and then upgraded to Gigabuster V2(with the forward mounted turrets). 

Before that, tranq them, narc them, and either chop them up or bring in a big dino to kill it. 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Not really touched the miniguns since before xmas, the ammo usage is so insane that you can spend all day collecting stuff for 5mins of fun lol.  But for killing gigas.. i'd do that..

Roughly how much ammo would you use? I take it the miniguns have a better elevation of attack than plant x do, they seem to have issues shooting anything below about 45%

I have not really tracked usage, but I will next time and let you know.  Of course, the side issue is that they shoot at other stuff also.  But, I have had the turrets cause the Giga to go into rage mode, when they all have a clear line of site on it.

For AOA, if you mount them over the edge, the can pretty much shoot straight down.

We do play on a higher harvest server, so collecting is easier; plus the volcano is fully open, so, some weekends, I just do continually runs up there, and bring back the ingots later; and also do a run to F. Tooth and bring metal down to my base at the bottom of the mountain.  I have a good surplus as I am done with most of my major building and spend more times on small projects or other testing.

Archived