Character Attributes

Kharneth

Character Attributes

Hello, 

I am new and looking for some advice regarding stats/attributes. I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. My highest level guy is ~70 and I'm wondering if there are stats I've overlooked or invested too much/not enough in. I will be making a new character for Valguero so I'll get to level up again. 

Health: 200

Stamina: 150

Weight: 420

Move: 130%

Melee: 120%

I'm not sure where to go from here. Will I want more health, stamina, or weight at higher levels? I've barely scratched metal stuff and never even gotten higher than that. I've just started getting the hang of taming. I know there are many different types of character builds but i'm looking for something well rounded because I have no plan. 

Is melee damage a waste? Should I go higher with weight? Am I missing out on useful attributes, such as crafting skill or torpidity?

Thanks!

Really depends on if you play PVE or PVP and what you use that character for.

I play PVE and my main character has 300hp/150stam/720weight/115speed/100melee/10fortitude

Also have a crafter character with all points into crafting

Early on having a few points into melee isnt a bad idea, will help you survive some hand to hand fights in bad situations and you will harvest a bit more when doing it by hand. Later on you can drop those melee points IMO. Fortitude is something I never skip on at least a little bit. When I lived in the snow I kept my fort at around 25-30 but minimum I keep at 10. Helps with temperatures and by extension helps your food/water from going down fast and keeps you from falling asleep so fast when fighting creatures that inflict torpor.

Basically I get everything else to a point Im happy with then dump all the rest of my points into weight. I find weight to be the most helpful thing to have if you dont have a pair of tek pants, even then more weight just makes things easier.

Dont bother with oxygen/food

I don't know if you are on PVP or PVE which is important. For PVE always put most points in weight and runspeed until I feel comfortable enough with it (140+ runspeed, 650-700 weight). 

Hp mostly 300-350, no points in Stamina, or anything else because 100 is more than enough if you have a high runspeed for PVE

You don't really need melee because the difference is negligible. The only other good stat is ''crafting'' but it only makes sense to put points in if you are about to craft a lot of things, like saddles for your boss army, a lot of armor and so on and. You can always reset your stats after the building with a mindswipe potion.

I also like to put a lot of points (20-40) into fortitude because it helps with a lot of things like heat/cold, torpor and some stuff from Aberration. (spores)

PvP server, PS4, haven't seen any action after being killed at like level 10

Thanks guys!

I added the melee damage pretty late, but the thought was definitely for those spontaneous hand to hand moments. I'll skip it next time because it really seems negligible compared to better melee weapons. 115% movement is too slow. Technically it's fast enough to escape a raptor, but I like enough speed to escape a raptor from point blank range without taking a bunch of hits while escaping. I also like at least 120-125 for general purpose movement, but perhaps I spend too much time with a weighty burden? 

I can definitely increase my health. I thought more armor would do the trick and it has, but 300-400 with good armor will probably make me feel safe when out in the open, which I've never felt yet lol. 

Fortitude sounds like a place I ought to invest. I'll get it to 10 and see if I notice much. More wiggle room for heat/cold would be nice, but poison is a b**** so that'll definitely come in handy. Again, I thought good armor might negate the need, but between poison and my health pool I do always feel insecure when I'm in a new area. 

The way I see it, I can always raise my weight and be happy about it, so I think I'll move my melee damage to fortitude and then start stacking health and weight. I'll likely keep my stamina to 100 because it really isn't that useful and I can always increase it at a higher level if I really notice not having that extra 50. 

Also I did not know about the mindswipe potion. It'll likely take me a very long time to acquire, but it's good to know my attributes aren't permanent. Are the points spent on craftable items refundable as well?

18 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

Also I did not know about the mindswipe potion. It'll likely take me a very long time to acquire, but it's good to know my attributes aren't permanent. Are the points spent on craftable items refundable as well?

You can mindwipe once every 24 hours now and it will reset all your stat points and engrams except for any tek engrams you have, including your crafting points. So people usually get a bunch of stuff lined up to craft and mindwipe into all crafting skill. Problem is with all crafting skill you will have 100weight and it can be very difficult/time consuming to get the ingredients into the smithy/fabricator/argy whatever so its a good idea to load up as much as possible before the wipe.

Also it can be annoying having to wait a day to get your character back to normal, which is why I made my 2nd character a dedicated crafter. Just cant keep both characters on the same server at the same time so takes a little bit of transfer gymnastics.

1 minute ago, Piffguru said:

You can mindwipe once every 24 hours now and it will reset all your stat points and engrams except for any tek engrams you have, including your crafting points. So people usually get a bunch of stuff lined up to craft and mindwipe into all crafting skill. Problem is with all crafting skill you will have 100weight and it can be very difficult/time consuming to get the ingredients into the smithy/fabricator/argy whatever so its a good idea to load up as much as possible before the wipe.

Also it can be annoying having to wait a day to get your character back to normal, which is why I made my 2nd character a dedicated crafter. Just cant keep both characters on the same server at the same time so takes a little bit of transfer gymnastics.

Can you clarify the last sentence? Can I have two characters on the same server as long as I don't log on to both at once? Or can I not make a 2nd character on the same server? I was hoping to have a 2nd character or eventually starting somewhere with a dedicated crafter and a dedicated explorer/fighter.

9 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

Can you clarify the last sentence? Can I have two characters on the same server as long as I don't log on to both at once? Or can I not make a 2nd character on the same server? I was hoping to have a 2nd character or eventually starting somewhere with a dedicated crafter and a dedicated explorer/fighter.

If you try to create or transfer a character on the server you have a character on already it will overwrite the existing character. There is a way to keep your character in the cloud but I usually dont bother with that. I keep 3 servers with bases on them so the idea is I have character on server 1 and a character on server 2, transfer from server 1 to server 3 then transfer character from server 2 back to server 1. Other way is to just craft the items wherever your crafter is and just upload the items to a transmitter/obelisk and go pull it out on the character/server you want.

Problem with that is again kinda hard to move the materials around with the crafter, with 100 weight you can be encumbered off just your armors lol

Edit: I should probably mention you can have 2 characters on 1 server but you would have to buy the game a 2nd time

Weird, I could've sworn I had created multiple characters early on without changing servers or deleting anyone. Maybe not. Sounds like a problem for people who know what they're doing. I'll just stick to a good all-rounder until I know what things like 'download' and 'obelisk' mean lol. I have a general idea, but until I've done it or at least watched a video I'm not too worried about it. I'm far from utilizing that sort of stuff. 

Good to know having multiple servers is a likely end game step for me. Can the servers be different maps? Might be worth establishing myself in Ragnarok since I've been toying with the idea anyway. I never considered having multiple homes.

Yea it will be a while before you really need these things I bet but to answer your question, Yes the different servers are preferably different maps. I have a base on the island/valguero/aberration/extinction, its a pain keeping everything from despawning sometimes but it can be well worth it. Aberration has crazy easy access to metal, valguero is good for taming high levels(as is ragnarok), extinction is the best for element stuff, and I just keep my island base cause its got a nice water breeding pen.

Also the obelisks are the 3 big floating red/blue/green things

Just to add another perspective: I actually put a lot of points in oxygen and stamina because I spend a fair bit swimming and then it's a life saver not having your stamina empty. About oxygen though: I play on a server that has restored the old setting where the oxygen stat increase the swimming speed a fair bit (it still does in vanilla, just not as much).

My fortitude I usually keep at around 30-36. Health is 360. While I agree with you that weight is amazing and I could put everything there and be happy, I tend to try to keep it down as I have a knack for not cleaning out my inventory unless I need to and I want my animals to be able to carry me while I'm encumbered for a quick getaway, meaning the more I put in my own weight, the more I need to put in my mounts' weight. Although, there's definitely just the option of not filling up my chars so much ?

Seems you've caught on Oxy, Food, And Water are a waste.

In the early game melee and fortitude can help but once you start using ranged weapons and have better armors they wont matter. Sometimes a single level of fortitude is smart because it makes troodons KO you in 2 hits instead of one (armor doesn't help against them).

My characters stats aren't the most practical ,but I have 230% speed and the rest into hp/weight, lets me outrun basically any wild dinosaur and is convenient for just moving around.

• 4 months later...

This is a late one, but regarding the melee question, YES I think melee damage is worth levelling up. Google the answer all you want but they’re not always accurate. The devs stated that it doesn’t, but I can guarantee you, if you level up melee and use the crossbow, you’ll notice a huge difference... it does work with ranged weapons.

Archived