Any way to play older versions of Ark?

YamiJustin

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Lizardman529 said:

Where did you torrent an older version? I've been looking for a way to play 2016 Ark since 2017, LOL

I wouldn't recommend downloading such versions as if they are not illegally cracked, they most likely contain malware stuff you don't want. You can actually download any version legitimately directly from Steam, and there are open-source tools such as DepotDownloader that makes it very easy. Also, as of last month you can switch to an EA branch directly on Steam:

On 6/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, StudioWildcard said:

The Timecapsule Experience
Here are a few notable features of the 2015 Timecapsule build:

• No TEK Engrams
  • No fabricated snipers, compound bows, pump action shotguns or longneck rifles
  • Flyer speed can be increased

If you'd like to take a look at ARK in its most primitive days, you'll need to opt into our special branch in your steam ARK configuration. You can do so by following the steps below:

1) Right-click on the ARK game in your Steam library and select "properties"
2) Select the "Beta" tab
3) Locate "timecapsule" in the drop-down menu and select that.
4) Select close, patch ARK, and start punching trees!

On 7/25/2020 at 7:19 AM, invincibleqc said:

I wouldn't recommend downloading such versions as if they are not illegally cracked, they most likely contain malware stuff you don't want. You can actually download any version legitimately directly from Steam, and there are open-source tools such as DepotDownloader that makes it very easy. Also, as of last month you can switch to an EA branch directly on Steam:

Cool, but how to stop steam / ark auto updating to the latest version when it starts? The only way I have come right with old versions is using an emulator to bypass the auto update. (I have a several zipped "snapshots" of the game from as far back as 2015 - maybe version 170 ish - but cant run them through steam without it kicking an update).

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Cool, but how to stop steam / ark auto updating to the latest version when it starts? The only way I have come right with old versions is using an emulator to bypass the auto update. (I have a several zipped "snapshots" of the game from as far back as 2015 - maybe version 170 ish - but cant run them through steam without it kicking an update).

I think the only way is to launch steam in offline mode.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:19 AM, invincibleqc said:

Sorry for being a noob, how do you do it directly from steam? Do you need DepotDownloader or is it already a feature in steam?

EDIT: Figured it out! Thank you all SO much. I've wanted to do this for nearly four years now. THANK YOU!!!

Archived