Where do Dino’s go if you disconnect mid game?

Milkassassins34

I’ve lost two Tapejaras, a Galimimus, and a Griffin cause my game disconnects me. I could care less about the other dinos, but I know where the the griffin last was, and it isn’t there anymore. Do the dinos go somewhere if you get kicked mid match, or am I not looking hard enough? Thanks for answering if you do

8 minutes ago, Milkassassins34 said:

I’ve lost two Tapejaras, a Galimimus, and a Griffin cause my game disconnects me. I could care less about the other dinos, but I know where the the griffin last was, and it isn’t there anymore. Do the dinos go somewhere if you get kicked mid match, or am I not looking hard enough? Thanks for answering if you do

It largely depends on the reason you DC. If you DC on your end the dino usually stays nearby unless it is kited by a wild (or player owned) creature.

That said, if you were the only person around when you DC, most activity will stop until a character is there again. (In Ark, no trees fall OR make a sound if no one is there to see/hear it) So if the server population is dead (or if the area of the map you are in is empty of players) it will be in pretty much the same place. If it's a flyer, it will either land somewhere nearby, or float upwards.

Now, if the DC was due to a server crash, occasionally that can cause a rollback and the dino will be wherever you were at the last server auto-save. If you recently tamed said dino, there's also the possibility the server rolled back to before you tamed it.

If you're worried that it died, check your tribe log ("L" key on PC default keybinds) and see. If you recently tamed it, make sure the "Milkassasin has tamed a ________" is there. If it's not there, technically you never tamed it as far as the server is concerned.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:45 PM, LouSpowells said:

It largely depends on the reason you DC. If you DC on your end the dino usually stays nearby unless it is kited by a wild (or player owned) creature.

That said, if you were the only person around when you DC, most activity will stop until a character is there again. (In Ark, no trees fall OR make a sound if no one is there to see/hear it) So if the server population is dead (or if the area of the map you are in is empty of players) it will be in pretty much the same place. If it's a flyer, it will either land somewhere nearby, or float upwards.

Now, if the DC was due to a server crash, occasionally that can cause a rollback and the dino will be wherever you were at the last server auto-save. If you recently tamed said dino, there's also the possibility the server rolled back to before you tamed it.

If you're worried that it died, check your tribe log ("L" key on PC default keybinds) and see. If you recently tamed it, make sure the "Milkassasin has tamed a ________" is there. If it's not there, technically you never tamed it as far as the server is concerned.

If you tame a dino theres a chance that even with a rollback itll still appear in tribe log.

On legacy when rag came out and rolled every 15 minutes, tribe log was spammed with me taming the same rex over and over

Like Lou says, it depends on how you disconnected, and also on the dino/status at the time. For me, fliers will usually either be hovering in the air the exact spot I disconnected, or will land somewhere nearby. I've also noticed that if I am flying along and my game locks up but doesn't crash immediately, we continue to stay in the game and move until the game does actually finish crashing. Tribemates have watched me fly across the map and into walls before for several minutes. I'd gotten to where if my game locks up, I immediately open task manager to kill the game manually so that it kicks me from the game; otherwise I never know where I may end up. Usually when I log back in though, my birds will be right there above me. 

If you happen to be on a modded server/single player, I highly recommend the Dino Tracker mod. It will let you pinpoint any of your tames in case you lose track of them.

Archived