Any good methods to tame a quetzel solo without another queztel

Quizzle

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CookieCutter said:

I tried to get them stuck on a mountain for a long time but I never managed to...

Great idea to use the grappling hook that way! I'd love to know if it's faster than using the scorpion method....guess I will have to try!

They tend to go very low on health with the scorpion method.

If they're getting low on health with the scorp you're doing it wrong. Scorpion torpor doesn't stack. If you hit it more than once every 10 seconds youre doing nothing but damage to the q. For best results fly next to the q, let the scorp tag it. Follow the quetz until it slows down. Fly up and let the scorp tag it again. The higher the scorps damage the better as torpor is directly related to damage

Best bet, set bird to follow jump off and use parachute . shoot once or twice try to get back on bird. Problem is hard to get back on bird and another is losing track of quetz while trying to get on your bird. But I've dropped a couple quetz doing this but couldn't tame them for various reasons including a power outage when I got back on topor was gone and he flew off :(

It's oddly difficult for me to tame a quetzal it's a crash fest, sometimes I could be playing for hours then decide to get a quetzal then the game will crash. I don't know why when searching for one it won't crash but when chasing one it repeatedly crashed for 4 people attempting to knock it out. The location on the map doesn't matter it will crash anywhere, but finally after roughly 10 crashes each we take it down, the quetz was a lvl 56 male.

The first drowned the second and third were killed by plant x the fourth I killed due to getting annoyed and using a few rpg after 1 hour

The hard part about a Scorp is that you can kill the quetz very easily if not timed right. I've seen people roll of to im the quetz and jump off their argy, you can land on the wild quetz and just shoot it in the head why it gives you a lift to wherever he is going to get knocked out. Obviously this will take some time and luck so bring some chutes

16 hours ago, x1xCLUTCHx8x said:

If they're getting low on health with the scorp you're doing it wrong. Scorpion torpor doesn't stack. If you hit it more than once every 10 seconds youre doing nothing but damage to the q. For best results fly next to the q, let the scorp tag it. Follow the quetz until it slows down. Fly up and let the scorp tag it again. The higher the scorps damage the better as torpor is directly related to damage

I didn't know Scorpion Torpor does not stack! Thanks for the Info!
Watched this guys vid, he hit the Quetz several times in a row but managed to tame it:

A few days ago I was up on the very top of Gran Peak. There was 2 Q's approaching and I started hitting one of them with darts (ascendant longneck, 612% damage).

To my surprise it went down before going out of range.. But by the time I got back on my bird and found the body there was 2 argys chomping away on the dead body. So I'm not sure if I killed it it or if the argys did..

• 3 weeks later...

Grappling Hook, 100+ Tranq Darts, and a 2000+ stamina Argentavis. Shoot the Hook into your Argentavis, use your Scope thingy and use 'Attack this Target', then fly near the Quetz and just go with attack this target and whisle passive when you are close to the Quetz, shoot it - rince and repeat = profit.

Also you could try to find a low level Quetz, 20-40 and then tame it and build a platform and your next Quetz should be easy tame, even higher lvl ones :-)

• Volunteer Moderator

Grapple with Argen works and so does Aggressive Scorp work(it is how I got my first one).

But, here is the big tip.

Get a low level Q.   As low as you can find.  Just keep it alive and tame it.

Once you have your first Q, you build a capture cage on it, and all future Qs will be easy to capture, tranq, and tame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2016 at 6:39 PM, DESTROYER said:

It's oddly difficult for me to tame a quetzal it's a crash fest, sometimes I could be playing for hours then decide to get a quetzal then the game will crash. I don't know why when searching for one it won't crash but when chasing one it repeatedly crashed for 4 people attempting to knock it out. The location on the map doesn't matter it will crash anywhere, but finally after roughly 10 crashes each we take it down, the quetz was a lvl 56 male.

The first drowned the second and third were killed by plant x the fourth I killed due to getting annoyed and using a few rpg after 1 hour

LMAO

• 2 weeks later...
On February 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM, CookieCutter said:

I tried to get them stuck on a mountain for a long time but I never managed to...

Great idea to use the grappling hook that way! I'd love to know if it's faster than using the scorpion method....guess I will have to try!

They tend to go very low on health with the scorpion method.

Grappling hooks wont on taming a quetzal bcuz when switch to ur gun or tranq arrows it releases the hook and plus u would need a second person to control the flyer

54 minutes ago, Quizzle said:

Grappling hooks wont on taming a quetzal bcuz when switch to ur gun or tranq arrows it releases the hook and plus u would need a second person to control the flyer

The flyer follows the quetz if you tell it to attack and the hook did not release when switching weapons, last time I tried at least. Maybe that was changed? If so that would be a major nerf to the grappling hook.

It's not my favorite way to tame a quetzal anyway. I prefer the scorpion method by far.

On 2/29/2016 at 3:28 PM, SSPenguin said:

Best bet, set bird to follow jump off and use parachute . shoot once or twice try to get back on bird. Problem is hard to get back on bird and another is losing track of quetz while trying to get on your bird. But I've dropped a couple quetz doing this but couldn't tame them for various reasons including a power outage when I got back on topor was gone and he flew off :(

I have used this method.  Works but it's a real pain.  Your much better to beg or find a friend willing to carry you on an argent.

I had a fairly easy time taking one down. had two xbows, one with grapple other with tranq. shot my argent with grapple, switched to spyglass and whistled to attack and deployed chute. started shooting the quetz with tranqs and whistled passive once arg was on top of it, then whistled attack once quetz started getting away. I'd say it was down in less than 5 minutes, but was almost instantly killed on the ground by bugs/sabretooths lol. managed to tame the second one put spike walls all round it.

Archived