Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

11 minutes ago, Thexone said:

The longer they drag their feet on the matter the less concerned I am about the possibility of a wipe.  It's one thing for them to have a change of heart or a fundamental need for the wipe (which they have not expressed to my knowledge), but to continually wait after the remarks of E3 and after giving us a launch date would be more than going back on their previous statements.  It would be almost purposefully letting players and fans of the game continue grinding, breeding, taming and building knowing that a wipe was possible without a single heads up.  I mean on my server alone I hear all the time about people missing out on sleep because their raising gigas/quetz/wvys.   Or players who let others into their tribe only to have all their items and dinos stolen and have to rebuild.  Seeing those players go through all that over the last month alone and having a wipe occur not to long from now would be almost funny if it wasn't such a d-bag of a move. 

I have to agree 100%

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dark2084 said:

What we know so far is , Jeremy did go public a year ago and say they will "not" be wiping the Official Servers on ARK's release. So as I have no reason to believe that he is not a man of his word I would say that those of us that are on a good official server have nothing to worry about.

Wait so someone saying no and then changing it to a possible maybe is nothing? 

Now I could see if he said then and then still continued to say no then there would be no cause for alarm but that is not the case at all

I'm sorry but if he has publicly made a statement contradicting what he originally said I must have missed it. I've even gone as far as a google search to find such a statement but unfortunately came up empty.

What I know is what I have seen come from him. Did he make another statement recently? It's possible, but then again I don't know everything. One other thing I do know is that I saw a recent post on one of the threads about somebody not playing again until July 3rd or 4th. So I guess if they do actually do a server wipe that person won't have wasted as much time and effort as the rest of us.

Oh, just an FYI... if asked about known accidents the salesman is obligated to inform the potential buyer. Knowledge is power.

43 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

I'm sorry but if he has publicly made a statement contradicting what he originally said I must have missed it. I've even gone as far as a google search to find such a statement but unfortunately came up empty.

What I know is what I have seen come from him. Did he make another statement recently? It's possible, but then again I don't know everything. One other thing I do know is that I saw a recent post on one of the threads about somebody not playing again until July 3rd or 4th. So I guess if they do actually do a server wipe that person won't have wasted as much time and effort as the rest of us.

Oh, just an FYI... if asked about known accidents the salesman is obligated to inform the potential buyer. Knowledge is power.

The only official statement I can find is the one made by Jeremy originally. there is a lot of discussion about  what other people have said or hinted about but no one has said officially we're seriously going to do a full wipe on release. Doesn't mean they won't but still hasn't been said. The longer they wait the more I'm feeling there will be no wipe as previous posters have said here.

48 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

Yep, in march they had an interview and Jeremy said they are leaning towards making new servers but there is a possibility of a wipe.

changing it from a definite "no" to a "possibility" is already going back on his word. Now it doesn't matter if they wipe or not. He gave a definite not and now it is a definite maybe. That is exactly what going back on your word is. A chance is a change

Even with him using the word "possibility" it still doesn't change my thoughts on this subject. Perhaps there is some technical issues they are trying to address. There could be any number of explinations for the change in wording. One possibility is a marketing ploy... new players hesitant to buy the game because they think they'll be bullied by older players might now be encouraged to buy the game because in their minds they believe that a wipe will happen and as hard as it might be to believe there are still many gamers that had never heard of ARK until all of the conflict started popping up on message boards all over the net about the "possible" server wipe on release.

Whatever the reason for the change in wording and the lack of a definite yes or no... I am sure that we will all recieve our answer when the Devs are ready to give it to us.

On 6/15/2017 at 6:30 PM, Volcano637 said:

Yes, things will change for the better. There are a lot of bad people playing the game

Wow who are you and what game have you been playing? It's not official ark I promise that. If the servers are wiped clean there will be nothing short of chaos for the remaining original player base. Alpha tribes will still control their server on pvp nothing will change. If you think so good for you it doesn't change reality.. it's just the nature the people with the time and experience will still control everything NO.. let me reintegrate that word "NO"difference in gameplay there just a few less gigas.. but then again it's pretty easy to kill a parasaur with a Rex isn't it? PvE will be the biggest loser in a wipe where troll groups will be waiting to foundation spam any good building spots, volcano etc demanding PayPal for "your spot back". Like I said.. reality it's not just what you want it to be.. there isn't more than one outcome and I don't care what you believe neither does the future when/if the servers are wiped. 

On 6/15/2017 at 6:04 PM, YUSHOETMI said:

Doesn't distract from the fact it's still an early acces game and by rights should be wiped when released. No game from early access that's multiplayer has kept things as is when completed. Hell I've even had my stuff reset on single player ea games when released lol.

Also I know scores of people that are waiting for the game to be completed before buying it. If no wipe occurs then where are they going to fit in? On an already over crowded server of derelict bases or insane pillar spawns? Or be constantly wiped by bob at level 100? 

Maybe it won't happen but the only logical solution would be to wipe all, reduce servers and cluster into groups where transfers aren't allowed to other clusters. The game would be much better and most problems vanished. 

Your right. They need to wipe servers and that way your friends can build on the scaps left over from foundation spam trolls demanding PayPal or go pvp and get constantly wiped by bob, lvl 30.... now 31. But that's just assuming those people you know....that are waiting for release.... actually exist and aren't just propeganda for your argument because you can't get along with any server on pve for them to clear a spot for you, or ... the dreaded bob on pvp. Your logic and reality aren't playing nice on this subject bud

2 hours ago, Insomniak said:

Wow who are you and what game have you been playing? It's not official ark I promise that. If the servers are wiped clean there will be nothing short of chaos for the remaining original player base. Alpha tribes will still control their server on pvp nothing will change. If you think so good for you it doesn't change reality.. it's just the nature the people with the time and experience will still control everything NO.. let me reintegrate that word "NO"difference in gameplay there just a few less gigas.. but then again it's pretty easy to kill a parasaur with a Rex isn't it? PvE will be the biggest loser in a wipe where troll groups will be waiting to foundation spam any good building spots, volcano etc demanding PayPal for "your spot back". Like I said.. reality it's not just what you want it to be.. there isn't more than one outcome and I don't care what you believe neither does the future when/if the servers are wiped. 

Unfortunately I think you are spot on :-( there may be a few servers that end up working out ok but the large block of them will end up being troll farms because almost everyone that is playing now knows the best spots to build a base and how to control large sections of land... even with the developers trying to fix the pillar issue (literally took players about 30 minutes to be posting the way around the fix) they really didn't fix anything. I'm not saying all players are trolls no no no but it only takes one or two on each server to cause major problems. and the problems will be on both PvE and PvP and how do we think anyone will fix that then???

15 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

Unfortunately I think you are spot on :-( there may be a few servers that end up working out ok but the large block of them will end up being troll farms because almost everyone that is playing now knows the best spots to build a base and how to control large sections of land... even with the developers trying to fix the pillar issue (literally took players about 30 minutes to be posting the way around the fix) they really didn't fix anything. I'm not saying all players are trolls no no no but it only takes one or two on each server to cause major problems. and the problems will be on both PvE and PvP and how do we think anyone will fix that then???

Even though it's expensive putting admins on each server would actually be awesome. I would totally apply for that and then you wouldn't have to worry about not having space. I wouldn't allow pillars in the first place unless they were part of an actual base. Life would be good on that server

19 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

Controlling resources is actually a meta skill. Explain what a troll is, because the only ones i see are forum trolls or the mythical creatures that charge a toll to cross a bridge.

Pvp isnt trolling. Blocking resources isnt trolling. Its called map control.

4 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Even though it's expensive putting admins on each server would actually be awesome. I would totally apply for that and then you wouldn't have to worry about not having space. I wouldn't allow pillars in the first place unless they were part of an actual base. Life would be good on that server

Now that would be a great idea.

6 hours ago, Thexone said:

The longer they drag their feet on the matter the less concerned I am about the possibility of a wipe.  It's one thing for them to have a change of heart or a fundamental need for the wipe (which they have not expressed to my knowledge), but to continually wait after the remarks of E3 and after giving us a launch date would be more than going back on their previous statements.  It would be almost purposefully letting players and fans of the game continue grinding, breeding, taming and building knowing that a wipe was possible without a single heads up.  I mean on my server alone I hear all the time about people missing out on sleep because their raising gigas/quetz/wvys.   Or players who let others into their tribe only to have all their items and dinos stolen and have to rebuild.  Seeing those players go through all that over the last month alone and having a wipe occur not to long from now would be almost funny if it wasn't such a d-bag of a move. 

It would do the game alot of good by getting rid of all the duped items and dinos. Its not the land its the crap theyre duping.

Just now, Volcano637 said:

Would you have a golden admin mansion on the volcano? You would, wouldn't you, maybe go around slyly nerfing people's flyer speed just to wind em up, would be funny!

But yeah admins could be good on official I reckon maybe you wouldn't even need one per server, maybe like one per 10+ or something, if you didn't change the current rules (or lack of) there probably wouldn't be that much to actually administer...

7 hours ago, BulletForce said:

They need to keep better logs. Then it would be least easier to trace and work out whether suspicious activity is happening. For instance if a tribe had say several vaults full of large elevator platforms that might be suspicious but you wouldn't be able to do much with that lone. However if you could go through the history of each elevator platform and see how it was created then you could find a possible smoking gun provided the logging was sufficient.

Or alternatively you could just accidentally live stream your tribe duping but thats a different discussion ;)

Just look and see after the server crashes to see if people are pulling out items from the ob. I know the exact method people are using. Reported it and got no feedback. Theyre still duping

2 minutes ago, Kurbbie said:

Controlling resources is actually a meta skill. Explain what a troll is, because the only ones i see are forum trolls or the mythical creatures that charge a toll to cross a bridge.

Pvp isnt trolling. Blocking resources isnt trolling. Its called map control.

I agree blocking resources on PvP isn't necessarily a bad thing as it is PvP. Trolls would be the people that cluster pillar/foundation area's just to be a butt on PvE (which is what I play).

2 hours ago, Lucifina said:

Now that would be a great idea.

Yep and if they actually did that(which they won't because it would be way more expensive) I would be cool with not wiping.

i have actually given multiple situations where a wipe is not needed. If one of them doesn't happen exactly that way then yes a wipe is still needed.

2 hours ago, thedogowl said:

Would you have a golden admin mansion on the volcano? You would, wouldn't you, maybe go around slyly nerfing people's flyer speed just to wind em up, would be funny!

But yeah admins could be good on official I reckon maybe you wouldn't even need one per server, maybe like one per 10+ or something, if you didn't change the current rules (or lack of) there probably wouldn't be that much to actually administer...

Nope I would run around naked like I do even now on my SE official. 330 water, 120 food, and 50 fortitude. We don't have to worry about attacks so I don't bother putting armor on. Plus we get kicked off a lot so I really don't feel like re making armor. This game is very easy once you know how to work it.

as far as me being admin goes, no I would not troll anybody. I would however make sure there wasn't any BS going on. Strict but fair. I would have no problem wiping someone if they tried to put something 

EDIT: no not even a thatch hut. I would be way too busy eagle eyeing everything 

i have played ark for over 1300 hours and I really hope there should be a server wipe. Who really care if the Alpha's get wiped at least then everybody will be on a even playing field.

It really would not be hard for the alpha tribes to build back up again. If they want to make money, then they need to wipe all servers.

So in my opinion is they need to wipe all servers.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived