Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

Roll out less content patches and more debugging patches and stop relying on the 80/20 rule of debuging its lazy as hell

M'okay, so, now that we've established you're living in patch 257...

258 was full of adjustments, and today's patch (259) literally only had one content addition. The rest was adjustments. Most of 257's post-major patches were adjustments, big and small. At the very least, pay attention to patches between three months ago and now before talking about how a product's never going to get better.

6 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

They care more about Money then they do the community lets face it. Content over Quality, WILD CARD IS THE NEXT EA quote me on this in 10 years!

... To be fair, you're giving Wildcard a significant amount of credit to say they'll be around in 10 years. And it isn't like EA's in a financially bad place by any stretch of the imagination, so from a business standpoint, you're escalating them to heights most game companies will never reach. So... are you trying to discourage them or encourage them to continue their current activities? I'm confused.

8 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

WITHOUT A DOUBT they need to streamline the in game chat functions(server countdown dossing, and harassment), and  add a serial number to every dino/item. this is getting ridiculous.

In the 'Suggestions' forum a while back ago, when I first started breeding, I recommended the removal of the IDs from dinos in ancestry. I knew why they were there, but since Wildcard wasn't going to replace dinos anyway and it didn't make any sense for me, as a player, to see them because there's nothing for me to do with them... I wanted them removed.

That being said: All dinos have an identifier and it's visible, unless they removed the visibility during their UI overhaul (I haven't checked ancestry since then). Items are no different in a lot of ways. All of it is database-driven, or a really close equivalent. Bottom line: There isn't a lack of organizing in the background... it's just a matter of what they're willing to do/replace while they're busy working on other things, especially since people tend to abuse it and request things they never had.

They're able to track, for example, logs regarding things transferred via obelisk per-server. They have the tools, they're just tired of it being abused by false claims. Players aren't the only people that have to deal with trolls on a daily basis. Proof: Look at these forums from time to time... then imagine all the background hassles they get.

14 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

no one wants to touch or be a part of Offical servers or even ark Including Microsoft admins Or Sony Admins, along with the season players, the proof is the there scroll down that player population of official server and compare it to player dedicated. That says enough, If they want to save there community there going to have to wipe the servers or roll out PHASE 2 server, provide more security administration inhouse or finally allowing console admins(Playstation,Microsof) more access

You're missing a few details... and you're speaking on behalf of two seriously huge companies. Microsoft and Sony make decisions for admins. The would-be admins don't make decisions for Microsoft and Sony. They're frontline poop-work employees. If Microsoft or Sony saw it as financially beneficial, and Wildcard saw it to be in their best interest, they'd all get along just fine. If they mechanically couldn't, they'd make it so. These aren't technical or individual decisions. These are cross-company-interest decisions that have nothing to do with employees.

But, I will say... -I- wouldn't want to admin an official server for ARK. If I couldn't weed out the highly disrespectful populace, it wouldn't be in my best interest. I'd get fired day one for trolling a troll or arguing with an idiot. Or both in the same hour, who knows. That entire bit, though, has everything to do with the playerbase and nothing to do with ARK or its creators. The playerbase is intensely toxic... it reminds me of old Blizzard games.

20 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

we all know Wild Card doesnt have enough Admins and Moderators or else they would have been better administration to make the game FAIR, and a FAIR PVP environment. People take advantage of it and laugh at Wild Card and its Developers everytime they do it.

But its not a fair 
pvp environment and its not a fair game. IF they REALLY CARED  these issue would have been dealt with within day/weeks not months,

In regards of DOSSING they could have had static ip servers or something else, or even choice  Sony or Microsoft servers instead of amazon servers, but they didn't.

They didnt for creative control issue or ego or whatever, there could have been more optimization and security/patch's but instead they rolled out more DIGITAL CONTENT ....thinking that its going to solve sales issues and player population, its not. They care more about money then they do a stable fair Game

First we have to talk about what a fair PvP game is in the context of ARK. Which... I've already said twice at least on this thread and at least a third time on your other thread related to this topic... there's nothing in the rules, anywhere, that says you can't kill a newcomer. They even removed the rule regarding luring dangerous dinos to bases -on PvE,- let alone PvP. Their definition of 'fair' is skewed relative to what they don't really want to deal with as complaints on a minutely basis, rather than what's actually considered 'fair.' This leads back to the conversation of admins vs. playerbase, though.

Throughout every mention of it, you keep calling it DOSSING and every time I have to reprocess it in my head as DDOS. If you're going to throw a technical acronym around, at least use the right acronym.

The game itself is entirely fair. It's the people who're toxic and abusing the fairness of the game to exploit those who haven't been playing in recent times... aka: Treating it as it is: A non-instanced high-combat high-construction environment. 'Fair' so far in a game like ARK is basically having two tribes with the same number of players build and compete against one another, but that's an incredibly isolated gameplay environment. They have to figure out how to make it a viable combat game, but... all this venom-spewing isn't going to help them figure out how to do that. All it's really doing is showing that you haven't really been paying attention to the work they -have- been doing in an effort to balance things out a little bit for the smaller tribes.

... Again, I reiterate: It's far from complete, far from reasonable, far from all things comprehensive in terms of a genuinely interesting PvP area... but if you're going to ignore my mentions in both places of SotF, then I don't see why you're still yelling about how the game's unfair if you're not going to give an interval-wipe version of the game a chance, when you're all for wipes on normal Official PvP servers.

... I mean, I see why. You're selfish and greedy and blinded by those two traits to the point you're just spewing to spew... but you'd not end up in an unstoppable tribe even if a server wiped once, so I don't see why you're so worried about the servers wiping one time when it won't fix all the inherent challenges in the game's desired PvP style. Challenges which haven't been explored as much as they need to be yet.

29 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

I am not that long winded. I just know you are wrong

And I PROVED you were wrong.  Trumps knowing.  And dude... Long winded? What about when you made 3 or 4 comments in a row just up there ☝... A few of them replying to the same comment over and over?

Anyway like I said, a wipe is quite obviously bad for business and I'll go over why again and again when needed.

2 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

And I PROVED you were wrong.  Trumps knowing.  And dude... Long winded? What about when you made 3 or 4 comments in a row just up there ☝... A few of them replying to the same comment over and over?

Anyway like I said, a wipe is quite obviously bad for business and I'll go over why again and again when needed.

You didn't prove anything and a wipe would ultimately be a good thing for business

1 hour ago, ShadowLexi said:

M'okay, so, now that we've established you're living in patch 257...

258 was full of adjustments, and today's patch (259) literally only had one content addition. The rest was adjustments. Most of 257's post-major patches were adjustments, big and small. At the very least, pay attention to patches between three months ago and now before talking about how a product's never going to get better.

I play on Every PS4, Xbox, and PC, so before you jump to conclusions or assume understand i am talking about the majority as whole needs a major overhaul 

"
To be fair, you're giving Wildcard a significant amount of credit to say they'll be around in 10 years. And it isn't like EA's in a financially bad place by any stretch of the imagination, so from a business standpoint, you're escalating them to heights most game companies will never reach. So... are you trying to discourage them or encourage them to continue their current activities? I'm confused."

I honestly have alot of faith in this studio and its potential and if and when there stock goes live will invest alot into it, Yes EA is not in bad place financially but there community is somewhat destroyed, look at MAXIS and Sim based games and ask the community/fan base if they made a game for the community or for shareholders/profit? I am discouraged at the fact there is not as much oversight as there should be in regards to adminstration and Debugging but encouraged at the fact they are finally getting there act together....hopefully..we will see..at this point i'm just disappointed.

"In the 'Suggestions' forum a while back ago, when I first started breeding, I recommended the removal of the IDs from dinos in ancestry. I knew why they were there, but since Wildcard wasn't going to replace dinos anyway and it didn't make any sense for me, as a player, to see them because there's nothing for me to do with them... I wanted them removed.

That being said: All dinos have an identifier and it's visible, unless they removed the visibility during their UI overhaul (I haven't checked ancestry since then). Items are no different in a lot of ways. All of it is database-driven, or a really close equivalent. Bottom line: There isn't a lack of organizing in the background... it's just a matter of what they're willing to do/replace while they're busy working on other things, especially since people tend to abuse it and request things they never had.

They're able to track, for example, logs regarding things transferred via obelisk per-server. They have the tools, they're just tired of it being abused by false claims. Players aren't the only people that have to deal with trolls on a daily basis. Proof: Look at these forums from time to time... then imagine all the background hassles they get."

i think must agree i think having the id reassures the players that they are trying "kinda".....I get it there working on other games as is the rest of industry, In regards to abuse request well it comes with the job suck it up your a game developer act like one or come up with a better extension program that will weed out the crap. Agreed players arent the only people who deal with troll, But you think they would put there fan base before themselves, quality over quanity of content, but when harassment and glitches run rampantly  through the community you think as developers they would step up address it do more and have the balls to own it and correct with days/weeks as other games have, not months letting those abusers laugh at them attempting to debug/"administrate". if they have the ability to know what are duplicated items and what are not you think they would do more especially with all the in house tool they have at there disposal...

You're missing a few details... and you're speaking on behalf of two seriously huge companies. Microsoft and Sony make decisions for admins. The would-be admins don't make decisions for Microsoft and Sony. They're frontline poop-work employees. If Microsoft or Sony saw it as financially beneficial, and Wildcard saw it to be in their best interest, they'd all get along just fine. If they mechanically couldn't, they'd make it so. These aren't technical or individual decisions. These are cross-company-interest decisions that have nothing to do with employees.

But, I will say... -I- wouldn't want to admin an official server for ARK. If I couldn't weed out the highly disrespectful populace, it wouldn't be in my best interest. I'd get fired day one for trolling a troll or arguing with an idiot. Or both in the same hour, who knows. That entire bit, though, has everything to do with the playerbase and nothing to do with ARK or its creators. The playerbase is intensely toxic... it reminds me of old Blizzard games.

If they dont like the sales being produced thanks to the consoles they so choiced to streamline on (PS4 and Xbox) they didnt have to put there game up for purchase or negotate the fee or pay the large sum to have there game up if they were not ready to administrate in the proper way with more of a workforce capable of actually prevent unfair advantage and a negative environment for there community  game they take pride in. The Adminstrators are not poop workers they are the heros every proper game needs. It may remind you of old blizzard games but not new blizzard/activision games that publisher actually manages theses issues better then ever even though they now mirror EA.

First we have to talk about what a fair PvP game is in the context of ARK. Which... I've already said twice at least on this thread and at least a third time on your other thread related to this topic... there's nothing in the rules, anywhere, that says you can't kill a newcomer. They even removed the rule regarding luring dangerous dinos to bases -on PvE,- let alone PvP. Their definition of 'fair' is skewed relative to what they don't really want to deal with as complaints on a minutely basis, rather than what's actually considered 'fair.' This leads back to the conversation of admins vs. playerbase, though.

Throughout every mention of it, you keep calling it DOSSING and every time I have to reprocess it in my head as DDOS. If you're going to throw a technical acronym around, at least use the right acronym.

The game itself is entirely fair. It's the people who're toxic and abusing the fairness of the game to exploit those who haven't been playing in recent times... aka: Treating it as it is: A non-instanced high-combat high-construction environment. 'Fair' so far in a game like ARK is basically having two tribes with the same number of players build and compete against one another, but that's an incredibly isolated gameplay environment. They have to figure out how to make it a viable combat game, but... all this venom-spewing isn't going to help them figure out how to do that. All it's really doing is showing that you haven't really been paying attention to the work they -have- been doing in an effort to balance things out a little bit for the smaller tribes.

... Again, I reiterate: It's far from complete, far from reasonable, far from all things comprehensive in terms of a genuinely interesting PvP area... but if you're going to ignore my mentions in both places of SotF, then I don't see why you're still yelling about how the game's unfair if you're not going to give an interval-wipe version of the game a chance, when you're all for wipes on normal Official PvP servers.

... I mean, I see why. You're selfish and greedy and blinded by those two traits to the point you're just spewing to spew... but you'd not end up in an unstoppable tribe even if a server wiped once, so I don't see why you're so worried about the servers wiping one time when it won't fix all the inherent challenges in the game's desired PvP style. Challenges which haven't been explored as much as they need to be yet.

in regards to the OFFICAL PVP the amount of Ddosing and doxing/harrassment/bulling in world chat let alone private messages goes unnoticed or even cared about there is no oversight to the extent that there should be most gaming publishers would not allow what it happening and wild card does and its sad, and inregards duping now is probably in the 100,000s now for items with no ID tag/serial all pretty much untracable that sir is that part that is unfair, i dont care about the beach noob bit welcome to pvp but the duping...its got out of hand and has basically destoryed the landscape of the game. Your talking about Sotf which was even spoken about in inner circles of developers of being pulled and are not even on console at this given jucture/state so i do not see how it is even to be considered if it is not on all there platforms they publish there "game" on.

Your arguing just to argue with me because i do in fact bring up valid points you, know i am right. and i can smell a fanboy from a mile away, sucking up to wildcard in order to maintain a prominet role by imposing(tyranny) your opinion instead of having a healthy discussion(democracy) typical fan boy, ego over princible and facts. i am sure you were one of those blizzard fanboys who still maintain wow is better then there standalones and they should have a diablo  mmo, and how starcraft 2 is better and superior to starcraft 1(remastered does look good) argh but back to the topic i appreciate your input and thank you for taking the time to read.

Kind regards,

Crackerjackx13

44 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

You didn't prove anything and a wipe would ultimately be a good thing for business

Good job being so succinct in how that would actually work.  The only way I can see that it would be good for business is driving away players so they can save money on running official servers.  Apart from that, no it is bad for business and I have shown why.

But I guess I'll just follow suit and make a baseless statement in the hope that someone will believe me:

"A wipe is bad for business and you are wrong wrong wrongitty wrong" ?

26 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

I honestly have alot of faith in this studio and its potential and if and when there stock goes live will invest alot into it, Yes EA is not in bad place financially but there community is somewhat destroyed, look at MAXIS and Sim based games and ask the community/fan base if they made a game for the community or for shareholders/profit? I am discouraged at the fact there is not as much oversight as there should be in regards to adminstration and Debugging but encouraged at the fact they are finally getting there act together....hopefully..we will see..at this point i'm just disappointed.

It's still super-early in the development cycle. I didn't realize -how- early until the other post I just sent on the other thread. It's like... in infancy compared to the amount of time it takes for big companies to develop much smaller projects.

29 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

i think must agree i think having the id reassures the players that they are trying "kinda".....I get it there working on other games as is the rest of industry, In regards to abuse request well it comes with the job suck it up your a game developer act like one or come up with a better extension program that will weed out the crap. Agreed players arent the only people who deal with troll, But you think they would put there fan base before themselves, quality over quanity of content, but when harassment and glitches run rampantly  through the community you think as developers they would step up address it do more and have the balls to own it and correct with days/weeks as other games have, not months letting those abusers laugh at them attempting to debug/"administrate". if they have the ability to know what are duplicated items and what are not you think they would do more especially with all the in house tool they have at there disposal...

That's exactly the attitude they took. "Suck it up." ? Stop whining about the game being unfair and suck it up because it's a PvP game. That's -exactly- ... the approach they took, even with PvE to a limit. When it's perfectly within the rules to lure a Giga to someone's base in PvE, that's literally them saying "Look, we aren't your babysitters... you all need to play nice or find somewhere else to play instead of yelling at us."

As for the IDs... I just found them entirely pointless for me to see them. It's one of the -many- clues that they keep track of numbers and all that entails, but it really doesn't 'matter' to me as a player to see them.

31 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

If they dont like the sales being produced thanks to the consoles they so choiced to streamline on (PS4 and Xbox) they didnt have to put there game up for purchase or negotate the fee or pay the large sum to have there game up if they were not ready to administrate in the proper way with more of a workforce capable of actually prevent unfair advantage and a negative environment for there community  game they take pride in. The Adminstrators are not poop workers they are the heros every proper game needs. It may remind you of old blizzard games but not new blizzard/activision games that publisher actually manages theses issues better then ever even though they now mirror EA.

This I can understand to a degree. I've told their support a handful of times: "If they aren't going to adequately support my platform, why are they claiming to support it? Why don't they revoke the title from my platform until they decide to treat it the same way they treat their preferred platform?"

The platform conversation is the one area I really do feel like Wildcard's on a cash-grab mission... because there's literally no other excuse for their clearly deliberate (Now 13+ hours - still waiting for 259) late other-OS updates. They really should step up or step off on that topic.

36 minutes ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

in regards to the OFFICAL PVP the amount of Ddosing and doxing/harrassment/bulling in world chat let alone private messages goes unnoticed or even cared about there is no oversight to the extent that there should be most gaming publishers would not allow what it happening and wild card does and its sad, and inregards duping now is probably in the 100,000s now for items with no ID tag/serial all pretty much untracable that sir is that part that is unfair, i dont care about the beach noob bit welcome to pvp but the duping...its got out of hand and has basically destoryed the landscape of the game. Your talking about Sotf which was even spoken about in inner circles of developers of being pulled and are not even on console at this given jucture/state so i do not see how it is even to be considered if it is not on all there platforms they publish there "game" on.

Your arguing just to argue with me because i do in fact bring up valid points you, know i am right. and i can smell a fanboy from a mile away, sucking up to wildcard in order to maintain a prominet role by imposing(tyranny) your opinion instead of having a healthy discussion(democracy) typical fan boy, ego over princible and facts. i am sure you were one of those blizzard fanboys who still maintain wow is better then there standalones and they should have a diablo  mmo, and how starcraft 2 is better and superior to starcraft 1(remastered does look good) argh but back to the topic i appreciate your input and thank you for taking the time to read.

Kind regards,

Crackerjackx13

*Facepalms*

If you think I'm a 'fanboy' or any 'fan-entity' for that matter you're a bit off... I haven't 'fanned' over anything since I was like 8 years old, I doubt I'll ever again.

The point is that Official PvP is no different from any other PvP in ARK because players are the same across the board. Get rid of the toxic players and it becomes a nonissue for the majority, but of course... doesn't necessarily help ARK's sales if they get rid of the people who do what competitive people do: Attack other people and compete to any extent they can manage.

Competitive people by their nature are toxic. Or at least... HIGHLY-competitive people are. While I've yet to meet a competitive person who isn't, I'm sure there are a handful of half-decent ones out there somewhere...

Your assessment of my views of Blizzard couldn't be further off... my views of Blizzard died the day WoW was released and they really haven't managed to get any better since then. To this day I won't touch a Blizzard game unless there's -literally- nothing else to do, and even then, I'd have to borrow because I don't own Blizzard games anymore, and won't pay them a cent. They haven't made anything capable of changing my mind since then, and I really doubt they will. I've -tried- all their latest games... they just all suck compared to the old ones, in the areas I really liked the old ones... but the playerbase hasn't changed much from old to new, so... at least -that- hasn't changed much. That's... not necessarily a positive note, though.

And no, I'm arguing with you because the things you're bringing up, while -technically- valid in the sense that 'Wildcard has a lot of work to do,' your solution of wiping once isn't a solution. Temporary or otherwise. ... And now that I know you're living around three patches ago and comparing it to games who've had three times the number of years put into them development-wise... I don't even know what to say to that bit, other than if you're -that- oblivious, there's no coming back. ?

13 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Good job being so succinct in how that would actually work.  The only way I can see that it would be good for business is driving away players so they can save money on running official servers.  Apart from that, no it is bad for business and I have shown why.

But I guess I'll just follow suit and make a baseless statement in the hope that someone will believe me:

I mean, I don't know about everyone else, but I've always wanted to see a @DeningWei and @Volcano637 succinctfight! I think that's what they're called anyway...

13 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Didn't even think about it that way. There is probably even more reasons it will be good for business as well. 

And either way my main reason for the wipe is the new players. They should have a nice fresh game to play on since they are paying full price for this game. And that is the only reason I need.

all of these stale old players only think about themselves, I have seen that throughout all of these posts in all of these threads. I actually care about other people, not just myself.

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Didn't even think about it that way. There is probably even more reasons it will be good for business as well. 

And either way my main reason for the wipe is the new players. They should have a nice fresh game to play on since they are paying full price for this game. And that is the only reason I need.

all of these stale old players only think about themselves, I have seen that throughout all of these posts in all of these threads. I actually care about other people, not just myself.

Prophet and Saint? What's next, King of England?

47 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Then recycling the bottom 100 - 200 servers solves all the new player issues as long as they are transfer blocked for the first 3 months.

To wipe or not to wipe, that is the question. Some say a wipe is needed for all of the new players while others say a wipe is bad for everyone. In a way both sides are right and at the same time both sides are wrong. How exactly does a wipe help new players? To be perfectly honest it doesn't, The players that have been here might be level 1 again but they still have their knowledge. They know the best locations to build, which engrams will help them early, which dinos will be the biggest assets, and they know the fastest ways to level up. Now the flip side of this debate, why would a server wipe be bad for everyone? The "old, stale players" Won't be able to help the new players because they will be to busy trying to rebuild everything that was taken from them. There might be some that even resent the new players since technically it would be their fault that the servers were wiped. Kinda hard for new players to build and learn the game when they are constantly getting wild dinos kited to them.

One other thing that will either make or break this game... where is the intelligence to release new DLC and then after letting everyone flood those servers, get built up and then just decide to take it all away after a month. Just a little food for thought.

59 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

To wipe or not to wipe, that is the question. Some say a wipe is needed for all of the new players while others say a wipe is bad for everyone. In a way both sides are right and at the same time both sides are wrong. How exactly does a wipe help new players? To be perfectly honest it doesn't, The players that have been here might be level 1 again but they still have their knowledge. They know the best locations to build, which engrams will help them early, which dinos will be the biggest assets, and they know the fastest ways to level up. Now the flip side of this debate, why would a server wipe be bad for everyone? The "old, stale players" Won't be able to help the new players because they will be to busy trying to rebuild everything that was taken from them. There might be some that even resent the new players since technically it would be their fault that the servers were wiped. Kinda hard for new players to build and learn the game when they are constantly getting wild dinos kited to them.

One other thing that will either make or break this game... where is the intelligence to release new DLC and then after letting everyone flood those servers, get built up and then just decide to take it all away after a month. Just a little food for thought.

Very well put thanks for your well balanced analysis

whatever WC do they need to acknowledge their EA players

who knows, it could be the EA players that continue the existence of ARK

new servers at release, cordoned off from all exiting servers and then after 6months being integrated with existing servers would probably be a sound decision, players who want the wipe can then start fresh on these new servers by activating a code which wipes all their own data and allows them access to the new servers?

but we don't know what's going to happen so I think we should all wait, you may be pleasantly surprised, you may not

6 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

True, we need to think of all those noobs on release running around trying to figure out the game trying to tame a trike and building their thatch houses.  This is an honorable undertaking you have taken upon yourself.

20 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Here is how it will go with my tribe probably after the wipe. My buddy is pretty much a master builder(like awesome) I am probably the best grinder there is and I usually don't need help with grinding. So while I am getting the resources for my buddy to build our base, our other tribe members that love pvp are going to be running around not even going after people. Their only goal is going to be tearing down other bases. We might keep one or two people with us just running around the perimeter making sure nobody comes around to halt our progress. The server we go to will have a hard time building up, not because we will build fast but because I believe it is more important to stop their progress than make our own.

Ok maybe not the taming a trike part or building... but at least you are going to let them look at all the beautiful scenery!

20 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Yeah we are going to have to cage a good amount of people and have someone babysit them too probably 

Oh... ummm... hmmmm

I guess this is the benefit of a wipe.  Helps the mid tier experienced tribes.  I just created a new PvP toon on a new server yesterday just to see how it is from the bottom these days.  I still haven't been ganked.  The alpha tribe gave me some tips of where to build and want me to help defend the server when the time comes!  I'm already having a pile of fun!

I saw you conveniently decided to ignore these points and continue with your "ohh i just want those new players to have a chance" mantra @Volcano637

7 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Not really good for business.  Keep in mind that most people that would buy this already have.  A large proportion of future purchases are the preorders.  After that it's just limited sales at gamestop Xbox store ps4 store and steam for those that have been living under a rock or the handful that refuse to buy early access.  The rest will be purchased by moms and dads for their kids for various birthdays etc.  A wipe means nothing to the vast majority of these purchasers at the time of purchase.

A few that pre-order on steam or buy after release after a wipe will come into an environment where all the experienced players are exponentially building and leveling and will be KOS for any noob as there is no hierarchy yet.  Some of those noobs will get salty and refund.  Others might stick it out and get frustrated with missing their chance to refund.

However, many of the old players are now gone.  They put in a lot of time and effort and to lose it means there's nothing left keeping them here away from the other good games they haven't played yet.  They won't be spending a single dollar on DLC.  Neither will a lot of the new players who can't get started because for the first few weeks they were getting KOS by far more experienced tribes that happened to stick around.

No wipe means all the old players stay, the ones that will be buying every DLC they release.  All the same people that preordered still spent their money and now are entering a fairly stable environment.  Greater chance of continuation and therefore buying the DLC.

As for evidence lol we only have the official statements to go on.

Speaking of evidence, let's take a look at how well new players have fared on fresh servers. When SE was released the veterans were claiming land left and right while the new players were wandering around and struggling to survive. Center? Same thing. New players were getting used to the game and the veterans were taking up the choice spots and claiming whatever else they could. Ragnarok? Deva ju all over again.

Now let's see the evidence where a clean slate in this game somehow helped new players vs veterans.

In an unrelated matter, Volcano637 could you possibly provide links to those other times devs have suggested a wipe was coming? You've mentioned them a few times but I was only aware of the recent E3 video. I've already stated I believe the devs will wipe official servers. Sure it won't accomplish anything positive but they'll wipe them nonetheless. I'm just curious about what they specifically said. I'm starting to look forward to yet another poopstorm Wildcard's going to unleash upon itself but what others have said in this thread is making me nervous I might not get to see it.

Just now, Vrallox said:

Speaking of evidence, let's take a look at how well new players have fared on fresh servers. When SE was released the veterans were claiming land left and right while the new players were wandering around and struggling to survive. Center? Same thing. New players were getting used to the game and the veterans were taking up the choice spots and claiming whatever else they could. Ragnarok? Deva ju all over again.

Now let's see the evidence where a clean slate in this game somehow helped new players vs veterans.

In an unrelated matter, Volcano637 could you possibly provide links to those other times devs have suggested a wipe was coming? You've mentioned them a few times but I was only aware of the recent E3 video. I've already stated I believe the devs will wipe official servers. Sure it won't accomplish anything positive but they'll wipe them nonetheless. I'm just curious about what they specifically said. I'm starting to look forward to yet another poopstorm Wildcard's going to unleash upon itself but what others have said in this thread is making me nervous I might not get to see it.

Like I just mentioned in the post above this, I just started a new PvP toon on a new server just to see what the new start is like these days.  I havent been ganked once.  The Alphas are giving me tips and it feels like one day i might actually be able to contribute to the server's defence.  Sure I have to keep watching my back but so far so good.

I remember SE at the start.  Oh man what a hell that was for our small tribe to try and get a foothold.  I'm pretty sure we were wiped at least 15 times just to ensure the alphas got to the top and stayed there.  The whole fresh map thing vs experienced and large tribes is not fun.

3 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Like I just mentioned in the post above this, I just started a new PvP toon on a new server just to see what the new start is like these days.  I havent been ganked once.  The Alphas are giving me tips and it feels like one day i might actually be able to contribute to the server's defence.  Sure I have to keep watching my back but so far so good.

I remember SE at the start.  Oh man what a hell that was for our small tribe to try and get a foothold.  I'm pretty sure we were wiped at least 15 times just to ensure the alphas got to the top and stayed there.  The whole fresh map thing vs experienced and large tribes is not fun.

That definitely runs parallel with the PvE side. On all the PvE servers I play on new players are helped along by the veterans. I really enjoy helping them out myself. All the older players have unlocked boxes with helpful items. Some even have buildings for them with crafting stations. I turned my original base into a noob safe haven. It has plant x turrets, running water, crafting stations, a behemoth gate taming pen in back, unlocked barns for dinos, refrigerators, and some other goodies.

Back when I first started in multiplayer I accidentally chose a server labeled PvPvE. It took me about a week to figure out it was PvP because of how decent the established tribes were. Within minutes of my character waking up for the first time I was approached by someone from the alpha tribe who gave me flak armor, a pike, a crossbow, tranq arrows, stone arrows, metal tools, and some other supplies.

Currently on my home server there is a whole lot of space for new people to build. On the fresh Ragnarok server I started out on it was pillars as far as the eye could see.

The best shot at ensuring new players are able to enjoy their introduction to ARK multiplayer is to make sure the veteran players are already established. Forcing new players to compete with veterans for building space is a recipe for failure.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived