Island vs. Rag vs. Center vs. Scorched?

o0oNightmareo0o

Just curious what you guys think is the best map in the game?!? I have really only explored Island. Familiar enough with it, I rarely look at GPS anymore. Wondered what your guys thoughts are on the current available maps for Official. I didn't last very long on Scorched, that is a hard map to get going on for me. Played a little on Rag. Have never been on Center. Whats the best in your opinions and why?!?  (YES IM KILLING TIME WAITING FOR SERVERS TO COME BACK STABLE... HURRY UP VALVE)

I've played on all of them but SE and Rag so far. Here's my opinions so far.

Island: Obviously WC's baby given they are trying to give it EVERYTHING and exclude the other maps...which sucks because even though I know the map like the back of my hand by this point, it's too small and doesn't have a lot of flat areas to build big. Sure it has everything, but so far it seems to have the highest chances of DCing for me oddly enough...and since I've explored it all mostly, it's gotten boring to be in.

Center: I liked this map more than I expected. There are more flat areas to build in, though hey aren't very spread out imo. The resources there are nicer to come by and overall the exploring part of it is really cool. I still don't think I've explored enough and have even discovered new building spots. It just sucks that it is missing content like the Dragon boss and Ascension (I can live without Ascension but no Dragon? How can I can all the tek engrams then???). It was missing dinos when I left it, but I'm sure it's got notes and all dinos now. It's a step up from Island, and it also ran better with no DC's when I had it on my server.

Unfortunately it's a tie, because the Island has everything, even though Center was a nicer place to live. No WC that should NOT be the excuse you use to omit content from the other maps...they will never we 'reskins' of the island because they are different MAPS with different CAVES. I mean look at Ragnarok. They got the right idea about how to make a map different yet not different. Made the caves awesome to explore, and many of them too.

If Center and Rag had all the content Island had, those maps would be even further ahead in the favorites list...the fact WC is keeping everything on the Island only just so that more players will play on it is a stupid move...

Once I play on Rag, I have a feeling it'll trump the others by far since it already looks so much more fun to build and live on than the Island, even if its' lacking some content (luckily the least fun content as well).

3 hours ago, Ulta said:

Unfortunately it's a tie, because the Island has everything, even though Center was a nicer place to live. No WC that should NOT be the excuse you use to omit content from the other maps...

WC aren't omitting content they just can't add new content to maps they didn't make the map creators have to add it.

The Island is the best map with the most thought and effort put into its construction. Its smaller then the other two maps but its much more refined. A work of art. It has thick jungle in which you can somewhat hide and nice swamps and locations that make logical sense.

Following the release of the island they made a map some random made called The Center as an Official map. If you compare the two its like day and night. The Center is big but ugly. It's terrain lacks any kind of significant vegetation oweing to map and memory limits due to the map size. The result is you have this large map that is very plain with resources located in a few selected areas that force you do to use aerial dinos to access them. A change a year ago made it look even more crap by adding some giant ugly cliff thing down the south and plonked a red forest in there too for good measure. In short terrible map and even the bosses aren't good for farming element.

Ragnorak is basically similar to the Center. Another random made it with the same concept that the best map is some giant map with little on it. It's half finished and just woeful. Terrible map.

SE is fantastic, far better than the island, but much, much harder.

The island is second

The Center and Rag or unfinished, with Rag being near garbage.

There is an option you may want to consider if you play on private, clusters. Our server has all for maps for example. I am sure others can  direct you to official clusters (if any) and you can find more on various sites.

7 hours ago, BulletForce said:

The Island is the best map with the most thought and effort put into its construction. Its smaller then the other two maps but its much more refined. A work of art. It has thick jungle in which you can somewhat hide and nice swamps and locations that make logical sense.

Following the release of the island they made a map some random made called The Center as an Official map. If you compare the two its like day and night. The Center is big but ugly. It's terrain lacks any kind of significant vegetation oweing to map and memory limits due to the map size. The result is you have this large map that is very plain with resources located in a few selected areas that force you do to use aerial dinos to access them. A change a year ago made it look even more crap by adding some giant ugly cliff thing down the south and plonked a red forest in there too for good measure. In short terrible map and even the bosses aren't good for farming element.

Ragnorak is basically similar to the Center. Another random made it with the same concept that the best map is some giant map with little on it. It's half finished and just woeful. Terrible map.

I was with you until you made a few short sighted judgments. 

I agree that the Island is very refined and one of the best maps, but I'd have to disagree with you on the Center and especially Ragnarok. The Center is in fact plain in places with little vegetation, but it does have a few scenic areas that carry a unique vibe. Specifically the Underworld, Floating Island, Redwood, the Bridge and the Edge of the World. The rest is garbage and very uninspired, put together in a childish manner with a lot of bad spawns and a lacking underwater expansion, but those select areas do make it worth it for me.

Ragnarok on the other hand is hand crafted in a way where hundreds of amazing atmospheric angles exist that inspire builders greatly. From above it doesn't look like much and can seem squat together, but down on the ground it's certainly another story. The Highlands, Redwood, Volcano, Jungle, Canyon and dozens of waterfalls make it a superb map if one is in it for the visuals. The spawns could use major work, but all in all, it is ten times more detailed and thought out than the Center. 

the centre was an amazing map but with the overpopulation of OC servers i could rarely enjoy it, Scorched earth is an amazing map with unique survival elements and challenges however after a while significantly lacks the variety of caves  with just 3 very small caves , ragnarok seems to be the lovechild of all 3 maps mashed in 1 hasnt hit ps4 yet but im anticipating the mass migration to ragnarok will make it very unfun for awhile however space will open up on isl and centre as people move there main bases to rag so itll be a good opportunity to get back into them!

Island is the most traversable but also has a ton of wasted space. It feels small, but resources are well distributed.

Ragnarok uses its space fantastically and feels massive, there is very little wasted space and all regions feels distinctly unique, unlike the island. However metal spawns are bad and finding crystal is really not fun. 

I'm going to cluster to SE and center when I get back from holiday, so I can't comment yet. But Ragnarok so far is my fave. From the little of center I've played it feels very tacky and artificial. (iceberg, lol.) 

The island: i believe it's a good starting map. Stay on relative safe beaches in the beginning and move inland later in the game. From the sky it looks nice and crowded. On the floor it's too crowded for my taste. i don't want a Rex waiting to eat me behind every tree and a lot of very nice places are just overgrown with plants and rocks. The abundance of caves and creatures give a lot of resources, but metal, crystal and obsidian should be more spread out like in the center (even if it is just one node). the map itself is small and easily build allover on servers which adds on the feeling of being a small map. 

Scorched: is also a relatively small map with more difficulty from the environment, it's a nice advancement tho it does become monotone when flying over it. all you see are rocks and sand :) 

The center is not a bad map at all, i just don't want leeds to be on this map, as moving dino's around is nearly impossible without a quetz. The underwold is nice and the biomes are vast, with some nice hidden spots for pvp or easy outposts. The terrain is a bit more fantasy-like (floating island) but it's nicely crafted. the map also is way bigger and resources are nicely spread out.

Ragnarok is a whole new level of map, it's more difficult for starting players. Viking bay and the highlands are no safe places to spawn and even the east coast has some visiting apex predators sometimes. The highlands do are great for horse-riding, the mountains are accessible by roads and the various extra's to be found are just great. Rare flowers and veggie-bushes, boxes you can break with a stone pickaxe, giving you various metal tools and weapons, beached whales etc. Also the swamp is on a very logical place and is not overcrowded like on the island. The ruines found on ragnarok are even better than on the center and really give the impression of a lost society. It's only half done but i like the diversity and the different biomes and it's finished part is already bigger than the island with a lot of very nice and relatively flat building spots.

If ragnarok get's all bosses, caves and tek-cave it would definatly be my nr1, right now i believe every map has it's ups and downs :) 

Archived