Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

13 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Yeah it is pretty awesome. And I noticed you were gone. Doing anything fun?

i will be putting ALOT of points into crafting skill

nah I wish man, was laid up with a fairly bad virus for a few days, had to work from home which wasn't too bad but just couldn't bring myself to play xbox for abit.

I already have 200% crafting for soups and potions so would be nice to see that adding a bonus to any weapons I make, may even use a mindwipe and put 100 points into crafting and then mindwipe back.... oh wait xD

now if that isn't a perfect example of why this mechanic is a good idea I don't see what will be.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

nah I wish man, was laid up with a fairly bad virus for a few days, had to work from home which wasn't too bad but just couldn't bring myself to play xbox for abit.

I already have 200% crafting for soups and potions so would be nice to see that adding a bonus to any weapons I make, may even use a mindwipe and put 100 points into crafting and then mindwipe back.... oh wait xD

now if that isn't a perfect example of why this mechanic is a good idea I don't see what will be.

????? good one. And that sucks about being sick. That's good that you are feeling better though

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it is unlikely anyone will be able to even make a mindwipe until decently far along the tech progression. On official PvP, you might be level 70 or higher before you can get a base to survive long enough to get the stuff you need to make one. So if the once per level doesn't stack, you get shafted even more.

On the topic of forcing tribe play: They really need to improve tribe groups/permissions before shifting the game so heavily towards requiring a tribe. Right now it is pretty much impossible to trust anyone you don't know irl on official servers enough, and the current tribe group system is so tedious/and or ineffective that most tribes don't bother with it.

I would fully support a timed cool down of between a week and a month for mindwipe tonics.

2 minutes ago, CovertLizard said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it is unlikely anyone will be able to even make a mindwipe until decently far along the tech progression. On official PvP, you might be level 70 or higher before you can get a base to survive long enough to get the stuff you need to make one. So if the once per level doesn't stack, you get shafted even more.

On the topic of forcing tribe play: They really need to improve tribe groups/permissions before shifting the game so heavily towards requiring a tribe. Right now it is pretty much impossible to trust anyone you don't know irl on official servers enough, and the current tribe group system is so tedious/and or ineffective that most tribes don't bother with it.

I would fully support a timed cool down of between a week and a month for mindwipe tonics.

You can make a mindwipe as soon as you have a cooking pot at level 8 and Stimulant at level 11, they aren't that hard to make even at that level so you would only be missing out on 10 wipes at most.

1 minute ago, YUSHOETMI said:

You can make a mindwipe as soon as you have a cooking pot at level 8 and Stimulant at level 11, they aren't that hard to make even at that level so you would only be missing out on 10 wipes at most.

Yes, it is technically possible at level 11. It is not practically plausible at that level to have the wealth to do it. Especially, as I mentioned, on PvP.

Another discussion, is it even reasonable to mindwipe at level 11 or 15 or 20 when you have so few points invested anyway?

Just now, CovertLizard said:

Yes, it is technically possible at level 11. It is not practically plausible at that level to have the wealth to do it. Especially, as I mentioned, on PvP.

Another discussion, is it even reasonable to mindwipe at level 11 or 15 or 20 when you have so few points invested anyway?

it would be fairly easy tbh at that level, the hardest thing to come by would be prime but a few stego's/boas/sarco's will fix that.

It wouldn't be reasonable at all at that level to use a mindwipe because as you said you wouldn't have enough points to realistically build a character, but lets say you picked the wrong engrams? Plausible but you'd only have to make a few cloth hats and you'd go up a level.

1 minute ago, CovertLizard said:

I was gonna say, not being able to at that level really isn't much of an issue as new levels come quick enough at that point.
Locking in at max level though is still the worse choice in my eyes.
Again, cooldown (1-7days whatever) would be a much better choice.
Pushing players to annoying workarounds isn't a good one.

Won't matter much for me, I can adjust server as I like, but in the end locking something up isn't a good choice.

3 hours ago, GP said:

This is a good reason for the change. Mindwiping before and after every boss fight shouldn't really be a thing.

Agreed.  Nor should mind-wiping to give yourself 2000 oxygen or 200 speed to run caves in ways that are not intended. 

This change is intended to make balancing various aspects of the game easier.  That being said, I'd have given it a cooldown of like 1 week or something.

2 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

it would be fairly easy tbh at that level, the hardest thing to come by would be prime but a few stego's/boas/sarco's will fix that.

It wouldn't be reasonable at all at that level to use a mindwipe because as you said you wouldn't have enough points to realistically build a character, but lets say you picked the wrong engrams? Plausible but you'd only have to make a few cloth hats and you'd go up a level.

2 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

I was gonna say, not being able to at that level really isn't much of an issue as new levels come quick enough at that point.
Locking in at max level though is still the worse choice in my eyes.
Again, cooldown (1-7days whatever) would be a much better choice.
Pushing players to annoying workarounds isn't a good one.

Won't matter much for me, I can adjust server as I like, but in the end locking something up isn't a good choice.

So what you're saying is, you won't actually be respeccing at low levels, and so you don't really get 100 chances to mindwipe and figure out what build you want to use.

Just now, CovertLizard said:

So what you're saying is, you won't actually be respeccing at low levels, and so you don't really get 100 chances to mindwipe and figure out what build you want to use.

Not at all, I haven't used it 5 times since game launched, if I get 200 chances or 10 doesn't matter.
What I don't like is having to the option to do it removed.
Give a cooldown, add harder requirements to make them (Blackpearls?), but don't lock people up unless they make a new character.

It feels like a lazy design choice and lazy dev choice to do this in this way. Make a mistake (lag, cat on mouse, whatever) and you could be stuck with it forever, while there are some perfectly fine solutions for this, even in game:

- food timer: make it long and persist through reconnects/deaths/transfers

- global cooldown: even an hour for all stats altered would be decent, about 5 days if you fully respec on max level, heck make it a day per stat altered

- make it more expensive: special mind wipe recipe, need n+1 mindwipes for every time after the first on a level (20 mindwipes a day will get expensive very soon)

And I haven't seen much about how it will work with the engrams and engram points, how about when the first of the coming two expansions drop, with possibly/probably new engrams to learn? Will we get a new recipe for that, will that be able to be done at all?

Not a fan, at all.

11 minutes ago, Smash said:

Agreed.  Nor should mind-wiping to give yourself 2000 oxygen or 200 speed to run caves in ways that are not intended. 

This change is intended to make balancing various aspects of the game easier.  That being said, I'd have given it a cooldown of like 1 week or something.

Hey I agree with you on something, that's cool.

3 minutes ago, BradKing said:

It feels like a lazy design choice and lazy dev choice to do this in this way. Make a mistake (lag, cat on mouse, whatever) and you could be stuck with it forever, while there are some perfectly fine solutions for this, even in game:

- food timer: make it long and persist through reconnects/deaths/transfers

- global cooldown: even an hour for all stats altered would be decent, about 5 days if you fully respec on max level, heck make it a day per stat altered

- make it more expensive: special mind wipe recipe, need n+1 mindwipes for every time after the first on a level (20 mindwipes a day will get expensive very soon)

And I haven't seen much about how it will work with the engrams and engram points, how about when the first of the coming two expansions drop, with possibly/probably new engrams to learn? Will we get a new recipe for that, will that be able to be done at all?

Not a fan, at all.

That's a lot of extra work they really don't need to be doing. They are already busy enough as it is.

i think it is good that people need to be responsible with how they spec their character

14 minutes ago, CovertLizard said:

I think i've used mindwipe about 2-3 times and that's only because i've goofed up and put a point or two into food or something, like before the new UI update if you saved up a number of level ups and used them at once, the first two would work normally, the third time you pressed to level up would consume 2 levels for some reason, meaning you'd put 4 points into a stat with only 3 clicks.

Had to mindewipe once for that reason, but other than that my character build has remained the same since the game came out on xbox.

8 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

That's a lot of extra work they really don't need to be doing. They are already busy enough as it is.

i think it is good that people need to be responsible with how they spec their character

BradKing actually has a point, with Ragnarok out, we have both SE and island engrams, we need to constantly respec, especially solo/small tribes to have everything we need.

1 minute ago, TracerBee said:

BradKing actually has a point, with Ragnarok out, we have both SE and island engrams, we need to constantly respec, especially solo/small tribes to have everything we need.

That's also why it is a good idea to have two characters. I don't see what the big deal with that is. The industrial grinder can get you to 80 in one day. 2 grinders could get you to 90. Sacrifice a little bit of time and then you can have two different stat builds and engram trees. 

I haven't had to use a mindwipe in close to a year and I can make any engram I need with needing anyone else

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

There is a lock. Once per level. You have a grand total of 114 levels to make use of mindwipe tonics (99 from going 1-100 + the extra 15 levels from ascending) This means that by the time you reach the tek cave you should have a general idea of how you want to proceed with your gameplay.

Obviously this isn't true or there wouldn't have been a demand for a way to respec your character to begin with. Putting aside end game boss fights where you may need to min max certain specs like health, you could find yourself needing to change your stats for more mundane reasons. Have you ever needed to move a few fridges worth of dino eggs before?

There are a couple things that need to be clarified, can I expect to have 100 mindwipe uses when I log in, or just one?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, SuperGenki said:

Obviously this isn't true or there wouldn't have been a demand for a way to respec your character to begin with.

There was a "demand" for a way to respec because ARK initially had no mindwipes. When you couple server lag with allocating stats (or just mashing points) it was neither unlikely nor unheard of for players to put one too many points in stats, effectively "ruining" their build. This was compounded more when they enabled the ability to learn engrams by double clicking on them rather than the initial method of clicking on an engram then clicking learn engram at the bottom. To alleviate this issue the mindwipe tonic was introduced, as a means for people to course correct and fix those allocation mistakes. Fast forward to now and people have been using mindwipes not as a means of course correction but as a stepping stone into being a jack of all trades, except that rather than being master of none it's actually also master of all so long as they have the mind wipe tonics for it as well.

1 minute ago, natman said:

Im not sure if it was already mentioned here, nor why this special thing comes to my mind, but if they make it once per level, they should disable the possibility to forcefeed mindwipe tonic to another player.

There is a mean thing, cage a max level player and force spec him into food/water... You know it will happen at some point.

11 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

There was a "demand" for a way to respec because ARK initially had no mindwipes. When you couple server lag with allocating stats (or just mashing points) it was neither unlikely nor unheard of for players to put one too many points in stats, effectively "ruining" their build. This was compounded more when they enabled the ability to learn engrams by double clicking on them rather than the initial method of clicking on an engram then clicking learn engram at the bottom. To alleviate this issue the mindwipe tonic was introduced, as a means for people to course correct and fix those allocation mistakes. Fast forward to now and people have been using mindwipes not as a means of course correction but as a stepping stone into being a jack of all trades, except that rather than being master of none it's actually also master of all so long as they have the mind wipe tonics for it as well.

Yes, those are several other reasons having mindwipe available is important. Hate to screw up the final respec and have no recourse to fix your stats.

I do get your point about it being an abused mechanic, but having a finite system is not the way to go. They should have at least tried a system with cool downs first.

Archived