Morals, ethics and whatnot of using the Water Breeding Glitch

McCluskeyy

Personally I use the water method a few times. 

It was convenient and it might still work honestly with a few changes.
If you do things you know might not be intended there is a risk associated with it. 

I lose dinos almost daily to bosses as i host Public boss fights on the forums so i'm always breeding more and better. Is it sad when a baby 13k hp 455 melee rex female dies YES but it happens.. This is ark... everything will die.

People complaining to the devs shouldnt be... 

Find the REAL issue and report it so they can fix it which i believe is the PVE Offline protection...

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, TheKringle said:

Unrelated, but would you mind bringing up indestructible rafts, aids dodos, and ORP cave blocking with offline tribes too? Currently every cave is blocked on the ORP cluster by tribes that never come online (except to refresh the timer), making them invulnerable and accessible by only the alpha tribes. 

Report blocked Cave to GMS and they will come in and delete it

1 hour ago, TheKringle said:

I've yet to see a dev say that players shouldn't put their babies in the water, or that doing so can compromise your account. I'd be happy to look at whatever posts from them that you have, that you think state this though.

I'm not talking about the food bug, i'm talking about baby food consumption while breeding. The devs have acknowledged that the breeding system will be revamped, and that it shouldn't just be a system of "throw 10,000 raw meat at this baby". I will admit that's just recall and that I don't have a source for it though. Thus, the lack of dev criticism and response to breeding at large appears to give water breeding at least passive approval in my book. But it's cool if you don't feel that way and want to avoid the method for your own reasons.

^ Doesn't seem like it's a major concern to the devs. Keep on keeping on friends =)

Sounds to me like that means everyone still playing official servers should abuse tf out of it until they fix it along with the baby dying bug. I don't even want to breed anything right now, i lost a nice mut argy back when i first realised that bug was happening.

so there is my opinion:

being or not a bug and being abusing of it its not the important...people used it cause it rly helped them out, remeber this is a game and u have a real life, i dont find the raise timer are fair first...i think that being playing and feeding a giga for 20+ hours is stupid, expecially for solo tribes, if u got a job or ur still in school u just cant do it...so basicly people used this not because it was a bug but because it helped them out a ton, and i think that nobody was in a lower advantadge about that, everyone could do it... all in all im positive about this and i think that the right think the devs should do is similar to what they did with the flyier nerf, think a bit about the problem, realize that maybe the mecanism beind breeding isnt fair and "buff" it ( my example would be reducing the food consumption by a half for example, its way to much the way it is atm)

my sugestion is for u guys to not breed at all im the next few days, im sure we will have a formal response from the devs about this topic and maybe they will make some changes soon.

Barradas

7 hours ago, BipedTadpole said:

Human nature is to exploit what we can and complain/attempt to fix what we can't. No one complained about the water bug because it was exploitable and beneficial to some people. The baby starving bug causes problems that are beyond the player's control, thus the many thread asking for fixes and general complaining. Things take time. Not everything in a video game or real life is going to be an immediate fix. Just deal with things as they are until the full release and know that if you are knowingly exploiting bugs, then eventually it's prolly gonna come to bite you in the bootay. 

No human nature is not to exploit anything they can. That's what horrible people do and that is why in the real world there are a lot of people in prison. It is nowhere near close to human nature. Wanting to exploit something is a character defect.

thats like trying to say all the horrible people that grieve people in game are just acting according to human nature. They are also not. They just have a character defect. 

While I've been abusing this exploit, I could see why they would patch it. The spoil times are the same, but that doesnt matter when you're breeding over 20 rexes which at that point they will consume them all before they spoil, which this exploit clearly allows. The swamp is filled with deep water spots, which is where we built ours. There are some spots that are deep enough for giga's to fully grow while floating.

What I hate about breeding is not the time it gets for the creatures to mature, but the baby taking care for a long time, the imprinting system is really annoying, 4-4 hours to imprint some people can't and if you believe that "its an effort for the tribe bla bla bla..." I have nothing to tell you, and the other stupid thing is the specific kibble they ask, I mean I am not trying to mix reality here but the stupid baby is just born and it knows what a dimetrodon kibble is, I think that finding the food that certain baby wants should be kind of trying different foods and let it "tell" you that it loved that food and wants more of that for the rest of its life, and the whole interaction from birth to adolescent should be you trying to figure out who is your newborn, what kind of food, or if it likes only to be pet, or loves to run... you know something fun. I hate this system, the timers can stay the same or even get higher(dont kill me) but this SHOULD be a fun activity, having multiple babies that like their own thing is a lot more fun to interact.

4 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

No human nature is not to exploit anything they can. That's what horrible people do and that is why in the real world there are a lot of people in prison. It is nowhere near close to human nature. Wanting to exploit something is a character defect.

thats like trying to say all the horrible people that grieve people in game are just acting according to human nature. They are also not. They just have a character defect. 

Lol are you kidding, that's like being a millionare and not trying to cut your taxes massively, the poorer people might hate you for it but doing what you can to get ahead isn't a defect of character? Enjoying griefing others, raiding bases and wiping people isn't either, it's fun and it's PvP. Gtfo from PvP if you don't expect to be griefed...

This was a fair mechanic and no one was at a disadvantage, but I do understand why they've fixed it to an extent. I'd understand alot more if they refined the breeding system so a Giga is quicker than 2 weeks, or a now-useless Mosa has a massive time reduction. Times are too long for regular people to even consider which is the sole reason why people used it.

Also, if walking your dinos into the water and realizing they eat less is "cheating", then people critical of water breeders should hang their heads in shame, it is literally making your dino follow you into the water, zero exploit there. If an "exploit" is that easy to perform of course people are going to use it? People definately should not have dinos restored if they lost them because of this patch though.

1 hour ago, Beuglord said:

Lol are you kidding, that's like being a millionare and not trying to cut your taxes massively, the poorer people might hate you for it but doing what you can to get ahead isn't a defect of character? Enjoying griefing others, raiding bases and wiping people isn't either, it's fun and it's PvP. Gtfo from PvP if you don't expect to be griefed...

This was a fair mechanic and no one was at a disadvantage, but I do understand why they've fixed it to an extent. I'd understand alot more if they refined the breeding system so a Giga is quicker than 2 weeks, or a now-useless Mosa has a massive time reduction. Times are too long for regular people to even consider which is the sole reason why people used it.

Also, if walking your dinos into the water and realizing they eat less is "cheating", then people critical of water breeders should hang their heads in shame, it is literally making your dino follow you into the water, zero exploit there. If an "exploit" is that easy to perform of course people are going to use it? People definately should not have dinos restored if they lost them because of this patch though.

No it was not a fair mechanic, if it was they wouldn't have changed it. And no the honorable people won't use it. Not everybody is bad. The majority of them are but to think everybody would be underhanded is just wrong.

you have a really messed up way of thinking. You have the right to your opinion but if I were you I would be ashamed of myself

19 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

No it was not a fair mechanic, if it was they wouldn't have changed it. And no the honorable people won't use it. Not everybody is bad. The majority of them are but to think everybody would be underhanded is just wrong.

you have a really messed up way of thinking. You have the right to your opinion but if I were you I would be ashamed of myself

Mate get a grip, why are you so judgmental of people that do things differently to you? It's not about honor or morality or anything like that, it is literally a game, I'm not going to refrain from PvP or getting myself ahead of other tribes just to be honorable by your terms. I disagree with doing anything illegal or against the rules wholeheartedly, but afaik water raising has never been against the rules or a punishable offence. Exploits like under mesh raiding, that is punishable and we all know it.

Logical action usually requires getting to a goal in the most efficient way, which is the reason why so many people have no issue with the so called morality of water raising. I'm not going to be ashamed because I PvP and like to maximise my efficiency, telling someone they should be ashamed because of legimate game choices is pathetic have a look in the mirror. Using methods to further yourself that aren't illegal or against the rules doesn't make you underhanded or bad at all.

You are literally the biggest shill on these forums man if WC hired you for their PR guy as you'd love, it would be an absolute disaster 

As I said above, fixing the so called exploit is fine, merely saying people used it because the breeding system is a joke, I've raised plenty of dinos with both methods, alot more the "legit" way though so I rarely used it anyway.

17 minutes ago, Beuglord said:

Mate get a grip, why are you so judgmental of people that do things differently to you? It's not about honor or morality or anything like that, it is literally a game, I'm not going to refrain from PvP or getting myself ahead of other tribes just to be honorable by your terms. I disagree with doing anything illegal or against the rules wholeheartedly, but afaik water raising has never been against the rules or a punishable offence. Exploits like under mesh raiding, that is punishable and we all know it.

Logical action usually requires getting to a goal in the most efficient way, which is the reason why so many people have no issue with the so called morality of water raising. I'm not going to be ashamed because I PvP and like to maximise my efficiency, telling someone they should be ashamed because of legimate game choices is pathetic have a look in the mirror. Using methods to further yourself that aren't illegal or against the rules doesn't make you underhanded or bad at all.

You are literally the biggest shill on these forums man if WC hired you for their PR guy as you'd love, it would be an absolute disaster 

As I said above, fixing the so called exploit is fine, merely saying people used it because the breeding system is a joke, I've raised plenty of dinos with both methods, alot more the "legit" way though so I rarely used it anyway.

Lol it isn't a so called exploit. It was an exploit which is against the rules. Please stop lying, I don't appreciate it. You broke the rules plain and simple. You may not have hacked or duped but you used an exploit to gain an unfair advantage. It is that cut and dry

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Lol it isn't a so called exploit. It was an exploit which is against the rules. Please stop lying, I don't appreciate it. You broke the rules plain and simple. You may not have hacked or duped but you used an exploit to gain an unfair advantage. It is that cut and dry

Wow you are so salty it is hilarious, so honorable of you to not walk your dinos into the water just to have the moral high ground on all of us. Be honest mate, merely walking your dinos into the water to decrease consumption is hardly an exploit it was actually a mechanic of how they designed the dinos. Whether it was intended or not, that's not my problem. An punishable exploit that is actually against the rules is deliberately under the mapping people, people get characters deleted an punished for it. No one has ever been punished for water raising, WC will change the way the dino consumption/oxygen levels work and it will no longer be possible.

You can still do it after they said they've fixed it, so again, they haven't changed the mechanic that makes it possible, like a previous poster said you just have to remove dinos when no ones in render range. Hardly an exploit.

9 hours ago, powerstuck said:

Well, lets count us lucky devs didn't decide to ban all players exploiting this glitch and delete all dinosaurs raised using this glitch method.

Current Version: v258.35
* Fixed Offline Raid Protection in PvE mode to allow accessing unlocked Item Containers, Pin Locking, and not drowning Tames.

Well, they fixed it, so that says a lot about what they think of water taming huh?

14 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

I thought I would do as suggested and ask in this, the "General Discussion" forum on the opinion of the morals with water breeding and other glitches.

Now I understand the food bug is a problem with breeding, personally never had it happen to me within hundreds of bred dinos but I have seen it happen so I know it exists, now if the new drowning bug is an answer to that, which it probably isn't, then is it right to demand a rollback because you lost a number of dinos, dinos that have oxygen stats so therefore should not be left in the water for a sustained period, instead of understanding you abused a bug and karma hit you when you didn't expect it.

If this was an intentional addition to the last patch, should WC have informed people that they would be removing a bug from the game they was abusing, or just sit back and watch as they are hit with a mass drowning kill feed?

The use of a glitch to counter a bug doesn't make it anymore ethical than cheating and regardless of how this situation appeared today, intentional or not, your dinos should be lost and no roll backs should be  granted, for those that "left my rex in the water because i was too lazy" then it sucks for you as who can tell if that's the case or you just didn't move it after it matured?

thoughts?

I'm going to quote myself here now from a different part of the forum, so excuse the copy/paste but these are my thoughts which is what you asked for.

In the last three weeks I have lost over eight dinos to various glitches. Most of them were to the starvation bug. There's plenty of food in the troughs and yet when I log in after sleeping, my babies are dead. I went so far as to put down 28 fridges and fill them all with cooked meat so that I could top off all troughs and their personal inventories just to try and avoid them dying so I could just get to the next generation of my breeding project. I lost one of these birds to the gender swap bug. I needed females for breeding and it was over halfway done. Making it, and my time, completely a waste. 

So here's my issue with people that have the audacity to come here and tear into those of us that use this floating method. This game is a grind. We've all known that from day 1, those of us that have been around that long, and it takes a LOT of time investment in order to get anywhere. But especially so with breeding. I don't like resorting to a glitch. In fact, it actually irritates me that the normal way of doing things is SO broken it's driven me to an exploit. 

But here's the thing! Yes, this is the meat of the issue. I'm not mad because I lost my dinos. I'm not mad because I get to start over several times and therefore it's delaying my profits. I'm pissed because you can't recover the time spent on getting them out of baby phase. You don't get that wasted time back from all the meat runs. You get nothing in return but a shrug off from the developers and an 'oops, sorry' because of the 'early access' curtain. If their -actual- system for breeding wasn't so heavily glitched and flawed that it has wasted the last three weeks of just attempting to get to my next generation (oh and I was successful many times, the babies just didn't make it due to said glitches doing it the normal way) then people wouldn't look to other means (exploits) of breeding just so that their time isn't wasted. And shame on every single one of you that would bash someone for wanting the most valuable and important resource known to man to be well spent and not wasted. Last I checked, none of us are getting any younger. 

The last thing anyone wants, is a game where you are prevented from progressing forward. Every mmo ever has been about progression. Leveling up, gearing up, heightening your experience (both level wise and just of game knowledge), exploration, (in this game) breeding for newer and better things, ect... I have no qualms doing it the right way. If only the right way worked in the first place.

1 hour ago, Zederia said:

Current Version: v258.35
* Fixed Offline Raid Protection in PvE mode to allow accessing unlocked Item Containers, Pin Locking, and not drowning Tames.

Well, they fixed it, so that says a lot about what they think of water taming huh?

Read up, Jat says they're looking into it and will be fixing it with time, this wasn't intended to be a fix it just wound alot of people up, if water breeding was intended they would have said sorry and rolledback for those affected.  Funny how the guy who posted the Jat comment also seen it as "carry on boys" when he clearly says they are aware of it and will fix it eventually. Just seems that those who use it are insanely delusional.

2 hours ago, Beuglord said:

Wow you are so salty it is hilarious, so honorable of you to not walk your dinos into the water just to have the moral high ground on all of us. Be honest mate, merely walking your dinos into the water to decrease consumption is hardly an exploit it was actually a mechanic of how they designed the dinos. Whether it was intended or not, that's not my problem. An punishable exploit that is actually against the rules is deliberately under the mapping people, people get characters deleted an punished for it. No one has ever been punished for water raising, WC will change the way the dino consumption/oxygen levels work and it will no longer be possible.

You can still do it after they said they've fixed it, so again, they haven't changed the mechanic that makes it possible, like a previous poster said you just have to remove dinos when no ones in render range. Hardly an exploit.

They never said they fixed it, it was an offset of ORP being added to PvE it just was amusing to see all those abusing an exploit (yes it is an exploit) crying because they lost dinos whilst doing so.

"Hardly an exploit" you really are deluded on that one aren't you, you say yourself that it decreased food consumption, that was never intended so therefore is an exploit, the fact that land tames can perpetually float and not lose stamina, health or oxygen is again abusing an exploit.  The simple fact that they are LAND dinos being left in WATER for days/weeks is also abusrd

Regardless of how you twist the morality in your head it will remain an exploit as it was never intended to be in the game and gave you an advantage.  Just admit it.

2 hours ago, M4Millican said:

From what I'm gathering the floating method has been patched on PC. This hasn't occurred yet on Xbox yet has it? I'm at work so I have no way of checking. If not, does anyone have an ETA on the patch coming to fix this for Xbox? Any responses would be appreciated.  

It hasn't been patched, you can still do it so it won't be patched for consoles either, yet.

1 hour ago, Vladimir367 said:

So here's my issue with people that have the audacity to come here and tear into those of us that use this floating method. This game is a grind. We've all known that from day 1, those of us that have been around that long, and it takes a LOT of time investment in order to get anywhere. But especially so with breeding. I don't like resorting to a glitch. In fact, it actually irritates me that the normal way of doing things is SO broken it's driven me to an exploit. 

Gloss it how you like, was still using an exploit.  I have managed to raise countless dinos without using the water glitch and not lost any to the food bug so the mechanics are hardly broken, that's just an excuse for people to use the glitch and then cry "I lost so many to the food bug that it was the only way to breed blah blah blah" when in reality its just laziness and willingness to abuse a broken mechanic.

2 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Funny how all those abusing it will adamantly refuse to admit it is a glitch/exploit and defend their use of it as moral or legitimate isn't it.  No matter what you say to them they will claim they never gained an advantage of it whilst in the same sentence explaining how it decreased food consumption and made breeding easier. Glad to see we agree on more than just the wipe topic :D

Archived