Morals, ethics and whatnot of using the Water Breeding Glitch

McCluskeyy

Should keep this trick a thing and not patch it. Its not like it changes spoil times or makes the baby grow faster, it slows consumption.  Not every base has a deep water area so id say its pretty balanced, its a disadvantage too. Its hard enough doing imprints every 4 hours. Spoil times are the same so it would mean the same amount of meat runs but less frequently. 

It helps smaller tribes get bigger too.

Just me that thinks this?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I would do as suggested and ask in this, the "General Discussion" forum on the opinion of the morals with water breeding and other glitches.

Now I understand the food bug is a problem with breeding, personally never had it happen to me within hundreds of bred dinos but I have seen it happen so I know it exists, now if the new drowning bug is an answer to that, which it probably isn't, then is it right to demand a rollback because you lost a number of dinos, dinos that have oxygen stats so therefore should not be left in the water for a sustained period, instead of understanding you abused a bug and karma hit you when you didn't expect it.

If this was an intentional addition to the last patch, should WC have informed people that they would be removing a bug from the game they was abusing, or just sit back and watch as they are hit with a mass drowning kill feed?

The use of a glitch to counter a bug doesn't make it anymore ethical than cheating and regardless of how this situation appeared today, intentional or not, your dinos should be lost and no roll backs should be  granted, for those that "left my rex in the water because i was too lazy" then it sucks for you as who can tell if that's the case or you just didn't move it after it matured?

thoughts?

The food glitch happens when a select few dinos which forget to eat or lag for long periods of time and starve. You've probably not raised these dinos or got very lucky.

To name a few;

Gallis,

Troodons,

Megalosaurs,

Ovis,

These are 4 I've had die with veg or meat in their inventory. While I've never had issues with Argents/Rexs/Terrors/Pteras.

Human nature is to exploit what we can and complain/attempt to fix what we can't. No one complained about the water bug because it was exploitable and beneficial to some people. The baby starving bug causes problems that are beyond the player's control, thus the many thread asking for fixes and general complaining. Things take time. Not everything in a video game or real life is going to be an immediate fix. Just deal with things as they are until the full release and know that if you are knowingly exploiting bugs, then eventually it's prolly gonna come to bite you in the bootay. 

21 minutes ago, Bradley1928 said:

The food glitch happens when a select few dinos which forget to eat or lag for long periods of time and starve. You've probably not raised these dinos or got very lucky.

To name a few;

Gallis,

Troodons,

Megalosaurs,

Ovis,

These are 4 I've had die with veg or meat in their inventory. While I've never had issues with Argents/Rexs/Terrors/Pteras.

I've seen it happen to multiple theri's yet have bred many without issue. I've bred near enough most of the animals in the game that can be bred, most just for fun. Usually tame one of each sex per species and see what the offspring looks like. Kill the males that are born and keep the females for egg purposes. Never had a creature die from the bug and only seen one of the ones I've bred not eat for a few minutes then start again. 

If this was an exploit fix (I also think it wasn't in this case, but that aside) then no, a rollback is not in order, nor is a heads up. If it's fixed as an exploit, it only makes sense for it to be treated as an exploit.
It would be a sausage move to fix the exploit but not the bug, but nobody can deny it would be an exploit getting patched all the same.

I'm gonna be honest here with you here, I completely disagree that people are lazy or should have lost babies for using the water glitch... WHY? I happen to play on a server with the devs (Jat, Jen, Panda, Eldrax) and guess what.. they themselves use the water glitch. This right here tells me they KNOW something is broken and needs fixed but they don't see it as a priority to fix it. I do actually have screenshots of their little babies, their theri's and giga and whatever else they had at the time floating in the water in plain sight next to the eggers. I refused to use the water glitch on principle until I saw the dev's doing it. I'm not mad about the babies I lost, I'm actually more upset about the dino's that require being in water to lay eggs dying. We even had a wyvern die just from sitting NEAR the water. Anywhoo just thought I'd throw it out there that you can't really flame the community for using a glitch when the creators use the same exact glitch. I would love to see it all fixed so we can just raise babies the right way.

6 minutes ago, Sibylla said:

I'm gonna be honest here with you here, I completely disagree that people are lazy or should have lost babies for using the water glitch... WHY? I happen to play on a server with the devs (Jat, Jen, Panda, Eldrax) and guess what.. they themselves use the water glitch. This right here tells me they KNOW something is broken and needs fixed but they don't see it as a priority to fix it. I do actually have screenshots of their little babies, their theri's and giga and whatever else they had at the time floating in the water in plain sight next to the eggers. I refused to use the water glitch on principle until I saw the dev's doing it. I'm not mad about the babies I lost, I'm actually more upset about the dino's that require being in water to lay eggs dying. We even had a wyvern die just from sitting NEAR the water. Anywhoo just thought I'd throw it out there that you can't really flame the community for using a glitch when the creators use the same exact glitch. I would love to see it all fixed so we can just raise babies the right way.

LOL is this true?

4 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

and they, like alot of others, have lost those floating dinos

Actually they might have, I'm not sure. I try not to flame the dev's to hard because honestly they really are trying to keep us all happy and well poop happens. I am fairly certain that they didn't fix the water glitch. From what I'm hearing its a possibility on every hard server reset that any babies or dinos that are in the water have a chance to sink and die. Just a chance you take water raising. I've had things die from anything and everything in this game.. my advice to everyone is just don't get attached to anything until the games completely 100% finished heh. Oh and the screenshot I'm including is the dev's base on herb island.. their little babies from a month or so ago are right in the water under the giga.

20170517223706_1.jpg

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, Sibylla said:

Actually they might have

i know some have, i have been talking to them this morning. im not implying that you are flaming them or saying anything negative, only pointing out that they have also lost dinos, including a 230 melee giga that was almost done. i totally agree with your outlook on the matter, and would like to thank you for posting:)

Oh my that sucks... thankfully I decided to raise my furry rex baby the normal way and its all nice and healthy. I give lots of props to the devs for putting up with our community hehe I mean honestly we can all be so harsh when we don't see the hell their going through just to make the game enjoyable for us. Oh and I want to warn everyone on pve, they enabled offline raid protection and well it may have broke a few things. Your allies dinos wont eat out of your troughs when your offline and vice versa and no one seems to be able to access pincoded or unlocked items when the owners of said items are under the protection.

3 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

i know some have, i have been talking to them this morning. im not implying that you are flaming them or saying anything negative, only pointing out that they have also lost dinos, including a 230 melee giga that was almost done. i totally agree with your outlook on the matter, and would like to thank you for posting:)

So whats going to happen? You have an outraged community that has lost weeks worth of work at random with no warning. I myself just lost 2 260 melee gigas that were 80% done. Multiple friends of mine logged into 30+ dead babies and are beyond devastated.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, JonSnowNova said:

So whats going to happen?

um...dont use exploits? i'm not sure anything needs to happen really. knowing it was an exploit and would be fixed as such i never entertained the idea of doing it. you admit using an exploit and are now upset when it was fixed. exploits are not fixed like adding in new biomes or regular update information. most bugs (which an exploit is) are fixed without warnings, as an early access game it is expected that these issues will be addressed. these are my own personal thoughts on the matter, SWC will decide to do whatever they like.

5 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

um...dont use exploits? i'm not sure anything needs to happen really. knowing it was an exploit and would be fixed as such i never entertained the idea of doing it. you admit using an exploit and are now upset when it was fixed. exploits are not fixed like adding in new biomes or regular update information. most bugs (which an exploit is) are fixed without warnings, as an early access game it is expected that these issues will be addressed. these are my own personal thoughts on the matter, SWC will decide to do whatever they like.

when devs themselves are using it that right there says something.. and to not then post about fixing the very exploit THEY use, yea..

and a fair good number of companies tell what bugs they fixed in their patch notes

26 minutes ago, JonSnowNova said:

So whats going to happen? You have an outraged community that has lost weeks worth of work at random with no warning. I myself just lost 2 260 melee gigas that were 80% done. Multiple friends of mine logged into 30+ dead babies and are beyond devastated.

They can move the Game to BETA and reset everything xD Fixed

Just like to point out that I didn't make this thread to flame or belittle those who abuse the water breeding glitch, I totally understand why people do use it, I made it to point out that if you abuse a glitch then demand a rollback or complain when it is patched out then you clearly are the equivalent of a level 10 trike tamed by being forcefed azulberries. 

57 minutes ago, Sibylla said:

Personally I don't fault the devs for doing it, it is their game after all and I bet they have used a tonne of exploits to better understand them and fix them or to just be lazy lol. Can guarantee tho if they did lose babies to the drowning bug they didn't come to forums to moan after abusing the glitch, that would be irony. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Zederia said:

when devs themselves are using it that right there says something.. and to not then post about fixing the very exploit THEY use, yea..

maybe you are reading too much into it then? they lost dinos too, so not really sure where you are going with this? there is no ulterior motive, no malice. imo it was fixed like exploits/bugs are usually fixed, and if nothing else, the fact that they also lost dinos proves that fact. thats really all i have to say about it.

3 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

maybe you are reading too much into it then? they lost dinos too, so not really sure where you are going with this? 

Don't they have test servers? you know where the QA the patches before they go live? In other words.. they KNEW, and said nothing. It's underhanded to be using it, fix it, say nothing and let everyone else suffer. (so what if THEY lost a few dinos? they can simply "summontamed XYZ" and get them back in a heartbeat)

3 minutes ago, Zederia said:

Don't they have test servers? you know where the QA the patches before they go live? In other words.. they KNEW, and said nothing. It's underhanded to be using it, fix it, say nothing and let everyone else suffer. (so what if THEY lost a few dinos? they can simply "summontamed XYZ" and get them back in a heartbeat)

Maybe that's is their test server, maybe they used the glitch to test how to fix it, who knows. 

At the end of the day it was a glitch, which would eventually be removed, they don't have to tell you when they patch out a glitch because you shouldn't have been using it in the first place. 

Archived