Sl1pg8r gives his opinions on the Flyer Nerf

Robersdee

If you don't know who sl1pg8r is, he's probably the most popular english speaking Ark youtube vid creator.

He very, very rarely give his opinions about political issues or controversial content.

Basically;

"nerfed the flyers into the ground and then buff them up, this was a bad descision"

"not a fan of it"

"should have had more testing "

"totally destroyinng vanilla flyers"

"coming out of the gate with no config ini change doesnt make sene"

"reading through the forums, such a negative response"

I'm glad that this is getting more exposure now, his videos usually hit 150k views in a few days and continue to climb.

Oh and just an update

Classic Flyers mod = 65,771 downloads.

Heres his latest Vid;

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^The fact that he's "a ridiculous clown of a man" is precisely why so many people, myself included, like him.  He's a goofball and he entertains me.

Anyway, yeah, I really hope we get a config option eventually.  I can understand why the devs haven't done it yet, since they want people to experience the updated flyers to get feedback, and if they had the config option right from the start basically everyone that was able to would just immediately use it to revert the changes.  Personally, I can live with all the stat nerfs no problem, just for the love of god give me back the ability to increase speed.

2 minutes ago, InfernoRodan said:

^The fact that he's "a ridiculous clown of a man" is precisely why so many people, myself included, like him.  He's a goofball and he entertains me.

Anyway, yeah, I really hope we get a config option eventually.  I can understand why the devs haven't done it yet, since they want people to experience the updated flyers to get feedback, and if they had the config option right from the start basically everyone that was able to would just immediately use it to revert the changes.  Personally, I can live with all the stat nerfs no problem, just for the love of god give me back the ability to increase speed.

i used be to be subscribed to him for his ark videos back before even the snow biome was a thing. but as of late ive kind of lost interest in the channel mostly because he stopped playing vanilla a bit after he got done with scorched earth. also hes kinda gotten to be kind of grating to me but thats probably just me slowly becoming a joyless old poop but well thats just me. enjoy him all you like thats the wonder of different opinions.

13 minutes ago, InfernoRodan said:

and if they had the config option right from the start basically everyone that was able to would just immediately use it to revert the changes.  

This statement tells you everything you need to know about how bad of an Idea this patch was. Because with the classic flyers mod everyone has done just that. 

2 hours ago, Havokpaintedwolf said:

it disturbs me he has so many subscribers but in this case i would deffinitly have to agree with him

He's entertaining to listen to.  He keeps his videos fun, but without being offensive.  I don't watch his videos all the time now, but I find them entertaining to watch when I do.  

13 minutes ago, nanoslaught said:

Sl1pg8r never plays official servers. He has no idea of what balance and overall big picture are needed for the base game. He might dislike the nerf because he almost exclusively plays pve modded. His opinion is mute on this issue. 

He plays modded now, but he does/did play vanilla island and SE until there was no content left to play with. He may boost gather and taming rates but in his vanilla-ish videos that's just a given, taming a golem for 6 hours probably wouldn't make the best youtube vid, especially as a creator and having to produce constant content. 

He plays modded now, but also has videos covering a vanilla PGM map and a vanilla-ish custom map series.

So really , honestly, I think its your point that's "moot"

1 hour ago, Robersdee said:

He plays modded now, but he does/did play vanilla island and SE until there was no content left to play with. He may boost gather and taming rates but in his vanilla-ish videos that's just a given, taming a golem for 6 hours probably wouldn't make the best youtube vid, especially as a creator and having to produce constant content. 

He plays modded now, but also has videos covering a vanilla PGM map and a vanilla-ish custom map series.

So really , honestly, I think its your point that's "moot"

Even when he plays vanilla he uses the old dino stats pre attack and hp nerf...so yes the other guy is right... slips opion on the nerf really doesnt matter sense he would never have used the setting anyways as indicated by him using the old att hp stats....

Id even argue based on seeing how he starts a map...that he points out why the nerf was needed sense most of the time he may tame a trike..but usually goes strait to a pteradon befor anything of real meaning...

I agree with him. The flyer nerf was a controversial idea to begin with, followed by TERRIBLE implementation by those idiots at Studio Wildcard. Let me put it bluntly, with all the pathing issues, flying will ALWAYS trump walking. Adding an entire third dimension to travel always helps. It also helps in combat. You think that they are OP for PVP? Then add more anti flyer weaponry. A dedicated AA turret with great Anti Flyer damage for example. Even with the nerf the flyers trump your stupid land dinos as it still keeps me safe, since i can normally find a safe spot to regen stam, and they don't get bogged down by terrain and trees being in the way! If u want us to stay grounded more often don't nerf the flyers you idiots, buff the land dinos. In short, WC is clueless about what the game they're making actually is. 

7 hours ago, Robersdee said:

If you don't know who sl1pg8r is, he's probably the most popular english speaking Ark youtube vid creator.

He very, very rarely give his opinions about political issues or controversial content.

I'm glad that this is getting more exposure now, his videos usually hit 150k views in a few days and continue to climb.

Oh and just an update

Classic Flyers mod = 65,771 downloads.

Heres his latest Vid;

I love his Ark vanilla vids, but he does have a STRONG bias for God-dinos (hence the series mainly switching to modded). I honestly can't see why the flyer nerf bugs people soooo much(it just seems like such a given, it was always coming and it's been demanded for a looong time) This game needs to and will change more from here. Adapt or die baby, adapt or die...

1 hour ago, Shrekasaurus said:

I love his Ark vanilla vids, but he does have a STRONG bias for God-dinos (hence the series mainly switching to modded). I honestly can't see why the flyer nerf bugs people soooo much(it just seems like such a given, it was always coming and it's been demanded for a looong time) This game needs to and will change more from here. Adapt or die baby, adapt or die...

Well, for starters, did you watch the first part of the video?

He demonstrates and states why its a problem to some of us: There are parts in the game
and in upcoming content that can't be reached with the flier's nerfed the way they are.

From what I gather, the people complaining about birds tend to play on the island maps in
their pvp sessions, and when you think about the flier nerf, it's clear that WC's dev team
approached the nerf with the island map in mind, otherwise, it makes no sense that they
would destroy fliers with this nerf. Especially with such large maps currently out and
coming out in future releases..

That being said, I honestly think it's time to stop bitching and moaning about a lot of the
aspects about the nerf. What does anyone really hope to gain by constantly calling WC
stupid for how they handled the nerf? They get it, they could have done this better, but
they didn't, they did it the way they wanted, and that, whether we like it or not, is how it
should be.

We're lucky they are at least making an attempt to hear us out, a lot of game devs
wouldn't be so courteous.

Just now, Extraterrestrial said:

That being said, I honestly think it's time to stop bitching and moaning about a lot of the
aspects about the nerf. What does anyone really hope to gain by constantly calling WC
stupid for how they handled the nerf? They get it, they could have done this better, but
they didn't, they did it the way they wanted, and that, whether we like it or not, is how it
should be.

They get it? If that's the case it's pretty unbelievable. An admission of understanding and another thread detailing how they are going about fixing this would give me more confidence that they even care.

Instead they are locking and merging threads, seems they are more concerned with letting the negativity drop off the frontpage rather than addressing its (ex) fans. 

A little offtopic

Upcoming Version: v257, ETA: April 30

• New Dino: Giant Bee

• New Dino: Daeodon

• New Dino: Liopleurodon

• New Dino: Kentrosaurus

• New Structure: Tek Cloning Chamber

• New Structure: Tek Megalodon Saddle

• New Structure: Tek Turret

• New Weapon: Tek Grenade

• TEK Cave & Volcano

• "Ascension" Game Progression

• More UI overhauls

• New Hairstyle and Facial Hair

• Approximately 20+ New Explorer Notes

[MORE NOTES TO COME]

So no flyers adjustments V3? literally couldnt give a **** about most of this crap, Tek unattainable since solo, dinos meh, hairstyles? seriously? Ascension will be dropped before the 30th, 20 new notes? meh. Volcano goodbye the majority of metal mining on our pve server. Jesus. 

No Flyer V3, that's all that matters, that is all

3 minutes ago, Robersdee said:

They get it? If that's the case it's pretty unbelievable. An admission of understanding and another thread detailing how they are going about fixing this would give me more confidence that they even care.

Instead they are locking and merging threads, seems they are more concerned with letting the negativity drop off the frontpage rather than addressing its (ex) fans. 

Short of reversing the nerf entirely, just what the hell will it take to show you they care?

They've been buffing the birds since the third day of the nerf, little by little. If you and the rest of us on here whining bout the nerf
would take a moment to actually try the birds, you'd see there is a gradual difference developing from what they were on Nerf Day.

As for locking and merging threads. Is it REALLY not that obvious as to why they're doing that? When 100+1 topics regurgitating
the same bullpoop complaints keep popping up, I can kind of see why they would. Whether its 1 person saying the same things
over and over, or 100 people, it all comes out to this: We don't like the nerf, change it back, or i'm leaving/leaving a bad review.

Followed by varying degrees of good or bad points in favor of their viewpoint. We have one or two threads dedicated to proper
discourse and insightful feedback. Aggregate to those threads, or get on Ark and actually play for a bit and see the changes being
made. 

This is ARK, not community college where getting triggered will get your way. Trust me, I've tried it already.

4 minutes ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Short of reversing the nerf entirely, just what the hell will it take to show you they care?

They've been buffing the birds since the third day of the nerf, little by little. If you and the rest of us on here whining bout the nerf
would take a moment to actually try the birds, you'd see there is a gradual difference developing from what they were on Nerf Day.

As for locking and merging threads. Is it REALLY not that obvious as to why they're doing that? When 100+1 topics regurgitating
the same bullpoop complaints keep popping up, I can kind of see why they would. Whether its 1 person saying the same things
over and over, or 100 people, it all comes out to this: We don't like the nerf, change it back, or i'm leaving/leaving a bad review.

Followed by varying degrees of good or bad points in favor of their viewpoint. We have one or two threads dedicated to proper
discourse and insightful feedback. Aggregate to those threads, or get on Ark and actually play for a bit and see the changes being
made. 

This is ARK, not community college where getting triggered will get your way. Trust me, I've tried it already.

a couple of small buffs to birds, they are still utter crap, that doesnt cut it I'm afraid.

Do you have dragons? didn't think so, as they are still utterly disgustingly borked. 

I'd rather people see 100 threads, this might give the correct impression that a majority is unhappy with this shambles of a patch. Instead they are locked, save for one thread. 

Just now, Robersdee said:

a couple of small buffs to birds, they are still utter crap, that doesnt cut it I'm afraid.

Do you have dragons? didn't think so, as they are still utterly disgustingly borked. 

Not to keep making fun of twitter, but did you just assume i lack dragons?

Yes, they are borked, and guess what? They're probably gonna be that way for a while.
So yea, a couple of small buff to birds, which is *gasp* EXACTLY what the Devs said they'd
be doing. Wow! It's amazing, they've been keeping their word!

3 minutes ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Not to keep making fun of twitter, but did you just assume i lack dragons?

Yes, they are borked, and guess what? They're probably gonna be that way for a while.
So yea, a couple of small buff to birds, which is *gasp* EXACTLY what the Devs said they'd
be doing. Wow! It's amazing, they've been keeping their word!

You don't really seem to understand, we know the devs have been giving them small buffs and we know that's what they said. But not only is nerfing every flyer into obscurity as a starting point a terrible terrible decision, it's just a good way to put off your user base, incremental adjustments then gaining feedback is just industry standard. It was handled badly, done badly and now they are suffering the consequences via review bombs on steam and floods of threads, and rightly ******** so. 

Yes I did assume you didnt have wyverns because anyone defending these changes clearly has either a low amount of hours or the dinos required to experience this shambles. 

i don't understand why people call other people out for complaining about the nerfs. First off that's what forums are for is for getting your thoughts  and complaints out. Secondly the nerf of the fliers was totally uncalled for, I'm tired off people complaining  that someone thought of a new way to use fliers and they get mad cause they didn't think of it first and they pay for it. It all started with the Pteras getting nerfed cause someone thought of strapping c4 to them, me personally never thought of that pure genius. It was a  creative way to use an open world game that was intended to let you do whatever you want. I think its stupid to keep nerfing dinos when they just added an entire new tear of gear and buildings that kind of make the dinos in the game obsolete anyways. I run a server that is designed to kind of be  a futuristic exploration group and all we use it tek tear items. Running around the map basically nothing can stop you in that armor and you really never need mounts cause your faster than anything else in the game. So that being said what point of devs nerfing dinos when they constantly add new gear and items that trash most dinos anyway.

Lol

Actually, I don't think you seem to understand. Go back and re-read my post. You'll realize this is PRECISELY what I'm talking about,
regurgitating the same vitriol and statements, at this point you can't even help yourself, because this is your one and only argument
to give.

The only one suffering at this point is you.

Archived