Primal survival, good or bad?

DinoDash

21 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

Primal Survival will have humans playing humans and dinos on the same server.

Thanks. However, I have no clue how Wildcard is going to balance this PVP wise. In my point of view there won't be any between certain dinosaur species. You were attacked by something bigger and faster than you? You're dead. Simple as that. I don't mind it really. 

7 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

Thanks. However, I have no clue how Wildcard is going to balance this PVP wise. In my point of view there won't be any between certain dinosaur species. You were attacked by something bigger and faster than you? You're dead. Simple as that. I don't mind it really. 

Dino v Dino yes this is what it's gonna be like, but the human noobs are gonna be eaten on the beach even more.

I look forward to Primal with high hopes. However, there are dozens of things that I worry about when it comes out. I will enjoy playing it because I'm no longer a dirty human, and I can live a simple life of eat, sleep, breed, repeat. Not this caveman-SPARTAN bogus. My only fears is that it will just be like the core game where the dinosaurs are still idiots, and will still attack their own species, that the breeding will still be crappy, the Sarco will still be broken, and Gigas will run amok.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, LilNastyGurl said:

Wouldn't everyone just play as a Pteranodon and C-Attack everything to death though? Or are there no flyers involved?

I assume C is the pick up for PC? You can't pick up everything. ;) Obviously, this would just be a troll move. I'm sure if a Ptero player saw a Raptor player, they would just fly away. Instinctively.

Looking forward to it personally, though I dont have any interest in pvp I would love to see mixed unit type setup with human players and dino players rather than just dino players against (or with, if theres a PVE option) other dino players.  Im also concerned about the types will be limited too (Only being able to play a shark in the ocean would suck, id have to at least be a plesio :p)  and in a pvp situation most people are all gonna pick flyers and or gigas so unless there is some form or progression people will always go with what they believe to be best.

Personally Id love a PVE variant to this, depending on the approach they take this might not be practical but if done right could be a lot of fun. Imagine storming a boss with tamed dinos, player dinos and player humans - a player dino is going to be able to do things that a tame dino AI just wont account for, such as specificially guarding humans from adds or blocking the boss from reaching said humans.  Player raptors with a human rider shooting from your back? Oh yeah fun stuff.

The problem comes in the form of PVP and PVe griefing, which really has been the biggest handicap for wildcard everything they do has to take the exploity nature of players into account. Argent players air lifting a player arthros wrecking tek armor in fly by bombings? all kinds of ouch. Ant players carting C4 to someones door?  Stuff like that makes me worried we will get purely dino players only with human npcs running amok.

Originally that was the idea, but they said that there are going to be 20 animals to start and they might add a few more in patches. It's not like it would be interesting to play every creature, such as a phiomia, or worse a Cnidaria. Although I'd love to play as some of the newer creatures such as the Bary and troodons.

20 minutes ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

That's another fork. People are crazy enough to want to play as a Coelith, despite that they exist purely for food. Certain animals like that, and like the jellies don't really have too much to them but would it be fair to not let people play them?

Doubt it's about fairness, it's most likely about the work it take to make each animal playable.

16 hours ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

The devs said every creature that is added will be available, through patches and updates. The Argies will probably be one of the first two since they were the debuted fliers.

Thank you for the info. I guess what I read before was only about starting Dinos. On that list I remember seeing giga, argy, raptor and I cant remember the rest.

4 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Thank you for the info. I guess what I read before was only about starting Dinos. On that list I remember seeing giga, argy, raptor and I cant remember the rest.

In the video,  there was the Raptor, Argy,  Giga, Castro, Megalodon, Bear, Wolf, Ant, Spider, and Mesopithicus. But the Wiki says that the Sarco will be available. It's likely that those will be the first set, since they are shown.

I do find myself intrigued by the idea of this. I wonder how they're going to make the ant as tempting to play as the Giga. Will there be anything in place to stop everyone on the server choosing the same dino? 

How will we progress? Just by levelling and upping our stats or will there be any kind of rank structure involved. I'd personally like it if the top, say, 5% of each species on each server, whether they be bot or human controlled, were alphas and received bonuses as such. I think it would also be rather fun if people who played as humans couldn't tell if the dino in front of them was a bot or another player except by behaviour patterns. 

Will there be any way for warm climate creatures to survive long term in snowy regions without having a total fortitude build? We're not going to be building smithys or thatched walls but will there still be some form of engram system in place and, if so, what for? 

Lots of questions that I look forward to answering soon. 

What else do you guys want to know? What would you like to see implemented?

On 2/4/2017 at 7:57 AM, Lewiatan said:

At this stage of development I see no need to add this mode to the game owing to the fact it is still in deep alpha and must be finished. Premiere dates are being pushed back constantly. Hiring another development team to finish Primal Survival costs some and that's not little money that could be used to finish ARK. However, I understand many people would like to play as dinosaurs. As how is going to work? You may check out The Isle, it might give you an idea. You cannot balance pvp that every dinosaur has a chance to win a fight, it wouldn't be logical. I think the experience won't be very immersive, because dinosaurs we have now lack of behavioural animations. 

I agree entirely. I'm astounded by the Devs idea to spend resources and manpower on other aspects added on to the game that aren't needed, when the base game itself is still horrendously unstable and buggy, and still in Alpha stage.

ARK has been in Alpha Early Access or three years now counting PC release. Full release has been pushed back three or four times now, and right now I feel like the Devs are just pushing out new content/expansions/modes just so they can continue to milk the game for what it's worth. I don't think they plan on finishing it.

53 minutes ago, Orion said:

I agree entirely. I'm astounded by the Devs idea to spend resources and manpower on other aspects added on to the game that aren't needed, when the base game itself is still horrendously unstable and buggy, and still in Alpha stage.

ARK has been in Alpha Early Access or three years now counting PC release. Full release has been pushed back three or four times now, and right now I feel like the Devs are just pushing out new content/expansions/modes just so they can continue to milk the game for what it's worth. I don't think they plan on finishing it.

ARK was released in Early Access at the beginning of June 2015. So that's 1,5 year more or less. As I said in other thread regarding the state of the game,  there is none Survival Game that has been released from Early Access yet. Lots of developers don't feel like releasing their game, because they can excuse their mistakes with EA label on store page and a lot of players would even defend them. Also, they still get money from sales, release small stuff in updates (in ARK case, another questionably useful dino) to create illusion they want to release their game one day. This is so convenient that a few resist the temptation. (That's general problem of Early Access, I think there ought to be the maximum time game can stay in EA to be honest). I started to think Wildcard is going that way.

Today Steam announced the change of Steam Greenlight, maybe they would look at Early Access after that, because it needs to protect customers more and reduce amount of scams.

Honestly I'm looking forward to this update and so are my brothers and friends I have bought the game for. They all play on a server I have hosted for 50 people. Some of them want to continue playing as human characters. I am personally going to play as an Allosaurus. I was going to make it so that players couldn't play as a Giga or Titan, due to their dps and health. I am trying to get others to play in a pack with me, but so far looks like I'll have a team of wild Allos to back me up.

Archived