how do i know if im being ddosed?

ok so i recently pissed of a alpha tribe on the server i run because i gave a weeks warning to switch overs vanilla structures so i can delete all the unnecessary structure mods. now within the last 30 minutes since they "found out" i have timed out 4 times as well as watching the server disappear in the steam directory as well as the ark search directory but stay up like nothing is going on via the control panel thru host havoc. keep in mind this has not happened before and my internet is fine in all other aspects of browsing and streaming. i just want to know if their is a way i can confirm this before I jump to any conclusions

thanks in advance  

I have also had that happen a few times with Host Havoc. Never rapid fire, but getting kicked, having those server sites tell you everything's fine and you're still on, and the server acting likewise until you restart it... and before I hosted with Havoc, the unofficial I used to be on had the same issue pop up several times, though I can't say where that one was hosted.
While that seems very suspicious in timing and frequency, Havoc hosting several instances per box could also mean you get another server's issues bleeding through as well. Seems best to contact support, and hear if they have any insight from their end, then go from there.

On 10/18/2016 at 11:16 PM, OtterlyRidiculous said:

ok so i recently pissed of a alpha tribe on the server i run because i gave a weeks warning to switch overs vanilla structures so i can delete all the unnecessary structure mods. now within the last 30 minutes since they "found out" i have timed out 4 times as well as watching the server disappear in the steam directory as well as the ark search directory but stay up like nothing is going on via the control panel thru host havoc. keep in mind this has not happened before and my internet is fine in all other aspects of browsing and streaming. i just want to know if their is a way i can confirm this before I jump to any conclusions

thanks in advance  

If you suspect them of DDOS'ing your server, then your home internet would be fine and unaffected, but your server would be getting hammered and most likely no one including you would be able to connect to it. This would mean host havoc is getting ddos'd and it would most likely be bringing down other servers on their network as well, or at least on the shared machine your instance is sharing with other servers. Host havoc would (should) have a setup with their internet provider / datacenter to help allieviate or prevent it, but usually the fix is just blackhole'ing the target IP to prevent the DDOS from bringing down the rest of the network.

If you suspect its your home IP being DDOS'd, then they would have to have gotten your IP address somehow (not very hard, but not exactly up on a sign post for anyone to see unless you gave it to them) and you would have pretty much NO internet access.  Your home network would be hammered and you wouldn't be able to browse or anything.  Your ISP also would have some protections in place to stop DDOS'ing from bringing down their network and also would most likely blackhole you if the DDOS is big enough to cause them significant impact.

You might want to just start simple first before jumping to conclusions on the DDOS thing.  Just this morning the builders helmet mod updated on my client and I had not rebooted my server yet.  As soon as I put it on it crashed me out of the game and gave me loading timeout errors when I tried to reconnect.  Had I not paid attention and noticed it was RIGHT when I put the builders helmet on I might not have made the connection.  I had to restart my server and patch it all to bring it up to the same level as my client in order to get my client machine and server on the same version of the builders helmet.  With how mods work in this game anytime a mod maker puts out an update everyones steam client starts updating and that causes all sorts of hell when servers dont reboot and patch the second it comes out.  You have some clients that patch fast and some are in game so they dont see a problem until they exit the game hours later, get auto patched, then try to get back in and now their client is a version ahead of the server and gives strange errors, timeouts on connection, or the obvious one, mod mismatch.

tldr, your symptoms dont sound like a ddos, it sounds like a mod mismatch or other network issue.  Not all mod problems cause mod mismatches, some cause your exact symptoms to display.

Archived