Limit cluster access

Grounded

If you are trying to make it so people cannot join your scorched server directly from the outside, but players on your current center/island server can, then no, you cannot do that.

Best you can do is how the clustering works where you can lock down character transfers, items and dinos to only be allowed between your two servers, but when people make the initial connection to make a character they could connect to both and start on either.  I think the closest you could get is what Housatonic said, and that brings its own problems when trying to password stuff.

Not even sure you can password one server but not the other in a cluster either.  On my cluster both servers share the same config files even.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 0:12 AM, TwitchyDigits said:

Is this for new players, or are you wanting existing players to always log into the original server first? 

What I wanted to do was have it so players must start on the main server, and can from there make it to the se server, but only if they have an existing character on the default server.  So I don't want any players tarting fresh on the SE server, but anyway the whole thing is no longer relevant as I decided not to add an se server, the map I use (Shigo Islands) is in the process of getting a desert biome added to it.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:35 PM, Grounded said:

What I wanted to do was have it so players must start on the main server, and can from there make it to the se server, but only if they have an existing character on the default server.  So I don't want any players tarting fresh on the SE server, but anyway the whole thing is no longer relevant as I decided not to add an se server, the map I use (Shigo Islands) is in the process of getting a desert biome added to it.

Okay, I was going to suggest exclusive join.  You can add the player to one server first so they have to start there, then add them to the second server once they arrive on the first.  I believe that passwords still break moving between servers, but exclusive join allows it.

3 hours ago, TwitchyDigits said:

Okay, I was going to suggest exclusive join.  You can add the player to one server first so they have to start there, then add them to the second server once they arrive on the first.  I believe that passwords still break moving between servers, but exclusive join allows it.

Yeah, but that sounds like the admin needs to be on the ball and manually adding players.

19 hours ago, Grounded said:

Yeah, but that sounds like the admin needs to be on the ball and manually adding players.

That is true, and the server would need restarted in order for the exclusive join to take effect every time a new player is added, so an admin would need to be on the ball.  But if its part of a maintenance cycle, it isn't too bad... Just stagger the days of maintenance, then copy the file to the second server on the second day.  I guess you could automate the process to copy the file and restart the server by scheduling an event... depending on the OS used .

I don't know.. it seems like I have my servers down every couple of days lately with updates being so regular, so I guess adding an ID to the list never really bothered me.

3 hours ago, TwitchyDigits said:

That is true, and the server would need restarted in order for the exclusive join to take effect every time a new player is added, so an admin would need to be on the ball.  But if its part of a maintenance cycle, it isn't too bad... Just stagger the days of maintenance, then copy the file to the second server on the second day.  I guess you could automate the process to copy the file and restart the server by scheduling an event... depending on the OS used .

I don't know.. it seems like I have my servers down every couple of days lately with updates being so regular, so I guess adding an ID to the list never really bothered me.

I have my servers on a 30min cycle of checking for server and mod updates so it is pretty much a hands off experience for me.  :D

Thats how proper administration should be.  hands off and self running until something goes horribly wrong. ;)

However with ark and the way its mod setup is, that isn't really possible.  Between the constantly mini patches that come out after every major patch month, and then every mod you run updating whenever they feel like, causing your playerbase to go out of sync with the server. etc...

PITA.

:D

46 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Thats how proper administration should be.  hands off and self running until something goes horribly wrong. ;)

However with ark and the way its mod setup is, that isn't really possible.  Between the constantly mini patches that come out after every major patch month, and then every mod you run updating whenever they feel like, causing your playerbase to go out of sync with the server. etc...

Yea, so I have mine do a check every 30 mins for any update, if none then nothing happens, if there is an update to either the server or one of the mods then it downloads, installs then does a server restart.  So players will seldom be more than 35-40 (depending on how slow steam is being on that day) out of sync with the server.

It can be a PITA when a big patch comes out as we can get multiple server updates in a day, and sometimes when the patch breaks mods we can have multiple mod updates in the same day, but that is usually only for a couple of days a month and can't be helped.

24 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

That sounds like hell for the people who are logged in at the time the server decides its time to patch, especially if you get a few a day.   How much notice does your setup give your players when it decides to download a patch, install and reboot on em?

It gives 10 minute countdown, yes, it is a pain, but it is better than spending hours unable to connect because of a server or mod version miss match.  Or even longer on manually updated server where you have to wait for the admin to wake up or get home from work and then notice the problem.  So it is most definitely the lesser evil.

We had a real bad patch when the redwoods came out, for about 4 or 5 days, sometimes it would update 3 or 4 times in an afternoon, and I recall it doing a series of updates every 30 mins.

But since then it has not been too bad.

However, I would love to see some sort of version system for mods and game clients like can be done with minecraft.  That way a server could get clients to load the same version of the mods it is running and we could schedule updates for a more convenient time, like once a week on a Monday at 4am.

Archived