Raptor Pack?

MayonnaisePlease

2 minutes ago, ILuvTheAwesomeDevs said:

I think he was talking about thorny dragons, not manti, due to manti being gatherers of everything, btw, mantis is better than beaver due to it getting double resource collection, so you have one ascendant harchet that gathers 50 wood, with a mantis it would gather 100 and it would mine it 2 times quicker, therefore, if your in a more powerful tribe with good BP then a mantis is superior in everyway to the beaver

No he was specifically talking about wood collectors. ' (idk what that new SE one is but ive heard it gathers wood really well so now the beaver may be useless) '

But no, the Beaver isn't useless in comparison to the Mantis. While the Mantis is the most versatile creature in the game, Beavers can collect wood and berries, has a smithy saddle, and wood, thatch, and stone all weigh less in it's inventory. It's also easier to tame than a Mantis as well, so Beavers are probably still superior.

Just now, FaneBlackwing said:

No he was specifically talking about wood collectors. ' (idk what that new SE one is but ive heard it gathers wood really well so now the beaver may be useless) '

But no, the Beaver isn't useless in comparison to the Mantis. While the Mantis is the most versatile creature in the game, Beavers can collect wood and berries, has a smithy saddle, and wood, thatch, and stone all weigh less in it's inventory. It's also easier to tame than a Mantis as well, so Beavers are probably still superior.

The thorny dragon is specifically a wood collector, and it also has a smithy saddle, and I never said the beaver was usless, I said to a more powerful tribe they are usless, the thorny dragon also has a weight reduction, plus their saddle is only level 45, and costs 30 EPs compared the beavers saddle at 50 EPs

9 minutes ago, ILuvTheAwesomeDevs said:

1: wolves don't always just spawn in snow

2: it's not that hard to survive in the snow biome, just hide behind a mammoth then run

3: no way a pack of 3 high level allos is an easier tame than a high level giga

4: you don't need a base and health brews to tame a wolf, on the center I tamed my first wolf at the tender level of 11

4:

Wolves only do spawn in snow(On the Center they can spawn on Lava Island, which is way more dangerous), they can travel out of the snow, sure, but their spawn is strictly in the snow biome.

It's pretty difficult if you're a beginning survivor. 'Hide behind a mammoth then run' isn't good advice one bit. The only creatures that don't aggro on you under any circumstances in the biome(on foot) are Kairukus and Megaloceros. You have to worry about Direwolves, Rexes, Gigas, Argentavis, Sabers, and if you end up screwing up while trying to knock out a Direwolf you may end up hitting one of these that will aggro on you: Mammoths, Doedicurus, Ankylos, and Woolly Rhinos. And if you aggro one, any others in your vicinity will aggro on you as well. Not to mention the freezing, without Fur it'll be hard for you to move around safely.

Of course not, I only said that an Allosaurus is easier to tame in comparison to a Giga. Even their kibble is much easier to acquire. Lystro > Diplo > Allosaurus. Lystros are really easy to tame, and so are Diplos due to both being the easiest passive tames in the game. Whereas a Gigas kibble tree goes: Pulmonoscorpius > Rex > Quetzal > Giga.

You don't need them. I was only using that as an example as to what point you should be at when you're more than ready to tame one.

Also, Single Player Center? Or Official? That can make all the difference here.

Seeing as everyone is giving what you can and can't do I'll be realistic with you. 

Bolas are your best friend. Make a raft, put 1 foundation on it and one ramp. Lead a wolf towards the raft, bola it as soon as it's on the raft. Then approach from behind and use your preferred knock out of choice. Then move your raft closest to your base or furthest away from harm. 

Simple. For meat (if you're having a problem getting that) just bola parasaurs, raptors, wolves, gallims, terror birds and pteranodons. 

There is a difference in being a low level player and a weak player.  If you are a weak player like some of the ones suggesting to avoid the wolf, I would suggest the raptor.  The wolf IS very obtainable as a low level player.  Don't forget you can place tons of campfires to even out the temperature.   Bolas.  You can level up way faster with the wolf.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 9/19/2016 at 2:37 AM, FaneBlackwing said:

single player official

actually you can, single player can be modded. single player official to me means the same thing as single player vanilla--but i get what you are saying too.

as far as the OP's question tame whatever is easiest for now, would be my advice. did OP say what map they were on? if on the Island and in the southern regions, do raptors--if on SE do wolves. i have not been on The Center so nothing to say about that one:)

1 hour ago, ThzNutz said:

actually you can, single player can be modded. single player official to me means the same thing as single player vanilla--but i get what you are saying too.

as far as the OP's question tame whatever is easiest for now, would be my advice. did OP say what map they were on? if on the Island and in the southern regions, do raptors--if on SE do wolves. i have not been on The Center so nothing to say about that one:)

I'm pretty sure he said the center... I think.... btw thanks for correcting me!

19 hours ago, mronemanmob said:

Tame the wolf, sure it might take more effort but it's well earned and well worth it.   If you go by that guys logic you might as well start a dodo army.

Wolves aren't worth it.

No saddle armour buff, they don't play a part in the kibble tree etc.

A raptor with a decent saddle (Ramshackle or journeyman) is better than a wolf and raptors lay eggs for when you get a rex or giga and they become too weak.

5 minutes ago, Reshkrom1153 said:

Wolves aren't worth it.

No saddle armour buff, they don't play a part in the kibble tree etc.

A raptor with a decent saddle (Ramshackle or journeyman) is better than a wolf and raptors lay eggs for when you get a rex or giga and they become too weak.

Wolves are worth it.

No saddle armor buff because you don't even have to waste engrams to learn it or waste mats to make it.  At early levels it is unlikely to have a decent raptor saddle -which late game becomes irrelevant and just sits in a box or on an egg layer.  Dodos are a part of the kibble tree ,build that army.  The wolf builds xp for you way faster. Wolves are killing machines, raptors....not so much. The maneuverability of the wolf also surpasses the raptor. Don't forget the howl is awesome.  I will give you the egg thing though raptors are good for that, but only for that.

Archived