ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

I would customization options for ALL the hotkeys or atleast more information about what button does what in the options menu. Until just a few days ago, I was unaware that pressing X while mounted would make your throw your dimorphodons.

It would also be nice (though it could be exploited in PvP situations) if on servers where being unmounted means locked first person we would be able to zoom out just a little bit, or make the placement range longer, when placing behemoth gate as you currently cannot see the entire gate until it is placed.

A triangle-shaped ceiling piece, for making "rounded" structures. I also second what someone mentioned earlier in this thread to have sloped walls that can be placed upside down, as building on hills or uneven ground with a stair-like structure leaves holes through which other players can invade. Currently you will have to block those with other means, such as pillars, foundations or fence foundations - which in my opinion looks unappealing.

I feel an improved loot table is needed on primitive servers. Both loot crates and wild dinos. I think a player is way past the time for when they need a primitive stone hatchet or cloth gear if they are able to kill a level 78 Rex. As for the surface loot crates, it would be nice if you could update the available saddles to include those for more recent animals, for example terror bird, procoptodon and pelargornis (once it is released). The cave loot sucks. You chop your way through an entire cave to be rewarded with a stone pick, primitive / ramshackle cloth gear and some berries. Only the two new caves have anything interesting.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only a few questions for my fellow devs ;)

1.) Will the Carbonemys (Turtle) get a Platform Saddle?

2.) Is there a chance that official servers could be started/remade into no-fly servers/primitive no-fly servers? (No engram for Saddles, no taming of the dino.) As a result, put Quetz/Argent/Ptera eggs in drops to compensate for that.

3.) For the Female Megaloceros (Deer), would it be possible to make it so that you could use weapons while riding it? (Such as pressing Right Click, or C to activate a rotational view with your gear, while your deer runs in a straight line, if you are moving at the time. Any kills gained give XP to the Deer.)

4.) What's your favorite dino? :3

That's it for now, May we all survive!

1. With the upcoming ability to host Xbox servers on PC, would that in theory make it possible to untether players in split screen?
  2. Will it ever be possible for two split screen players on xbox to play on someone's dedicated server? Even if we remain tethered, we would love to play with some other people!
  3. Would it be possible to make the bookshelf more visually dynamic by adding a feature that as it fills up it changes to reflect more scrolls/books? So at say 25% 50% 75% 100% full, the shelf would show more materials on it.
  4. I'm excited for more costumes for Xbox! Are there any exciting ones in the pipeline for xbox users to enjoy? 
  5. Could it be possible to create more variety in the loot drops on xbox? They seem to be very predictable for now, but it would be neat if they had some more unique items!
  6. When SOTF comes to Xbox, will it be split screen compatible?

I have some very specific questions regarding the structure build limit that I desperately need answers to, to resolve a problem I have. An unattached large guard tower/breeding pen recently went up to support my main base, and has created an area 13 foundations wide that can no longer be built on or repaired in the middle of my main base. It looks like this (the BOLD X's represent effected area)

xxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXX              xxxxxxx

I can build on left. I can build on right, but the middle is effected now. To resolve I need information that has been hard to find:

1) What is the specific hard build limit as of July 2016 on US PVP xbox servers?

2) Is there any way to access this info in game, on Xbox?

3) It seems build limits are recalculated by server every few days, thus there is no immediate feedback of knowing if you have resolved your problem by destroying items, or worse- when you've created a problem by adding items, until days later. What specifically is this interim in which servers recalculate the build limit?

4) What specifically is the AOE in which nearby structures will/will not count towards other nearby structures to contribute to the build count?  Is it the same distance as resources not re-spawning near foundations?

5) Will the build limit increase from its current number as the game is updated/optimized/completed?

6) Please define EVERYTHING that counts towards this limit besides obvious building structures,  I.e. - items in chests (does a vault counts as 151 items or just 1 item - allowing you to fill it)?,  Do  Dinos housed in structures count? Items stored in tamed dino's?  Do Items built on platform saddles on tamed Dinos inside structures count? Do Boats nearby count? Plant X? Fertilizer in plant boxes? Crops? (And if the answer is all the above please just say EVERYTHING, but if it is defined as anything built that is NOT usable (eggs, crops,fertilizer,bullets, ingots, etc) then please be specific.

7) When  "upgrading" by building over a stone wall with a metal wall, does ARK count that as ANOTHER item being placed, thus  ADDING to the count? Is the math done to subtract what was destroyed and build count stays unchanged? if it does add to count, is it temporary until the recount in a few days?

8) Any suggestions (besides scaling down my impressive base) on how to resolve if I do not have access to my current build #, how many items I am over,  what the AOE is on "nearby" items, and not being able to get any direct feedback from the game until a recount is done "a few days" later?

Basically, without just tearing down a large structure hoping it helps,  Im trying to remove the least amount of items as possible, still  leaving myself room to add turrets/bullets, electrical cables etc for defense while still being able to build guard towers nearby without adding to the build count of the base it is protecting. Some very simple numbers and definitions are needed, but are not available nor have these questions been answered prior according to some posts. I realize all things change eventually, but please, can someone supply me with the current information as of July 2016?

A suggestion to developers would be to make a "top down" view mode available when placing foundations that would pull far enough away to see the AOE of new foundations in relation to existing foundations when specifically trying to place outside the build limit of existing structures, or to make this count available at time of placement in the form of a number listed as "X/Y of available" on screen when building near or within large structures, and/or somehow listing "Current build count/ Max build count" in tribe manager. Some sort of tool to help keep count.

On 7/21/2016 at 1:26 PM, maze said:
On 7/21/2016 at 0:12 PM, Jilly said:

Would really be nice to see The Island map get a spawn adjustment to dinos, allowing them to spawn like the dinos do on the Center. Upper mid level to high levels dinos, rather than the painful most commonly low level dinos.

Difficulty 5 (as referred to on PC [level 5-150 dinos]) will come with the Tek Tier upgrade to the island. 

---------

Keep in mind that I anwered these questions to the best of my knowledge, just to keep people calm in case of no reply from the devs. 

for real? i missed that conversation in the past, thanks for the info. very good news in my book

Will there be improved AI behavior added in the future? Basically adding more natural behaviors like Raptors actually hunting in packs, herbivores moving in herds, birds making nests, apes and monkeys climbing trees, Castros damming up the rivers, Leeches and Titanomyras attacking other animals and not just players. Dedicated mates in normally solitary animals like Carnos and Rexes, animals establishing territories, etc.

Will there be a way to transport sea creatures into the lakes of The Island? I long to have a plesio in the lake below me called Nessie xD. Like some big fish tank that is attachable to quetzals or brontos? If not, could there at least be some sort of salmon or dolphin or other jumping aquatic animal that can jump up the waterfalls? 

Once the dinosaurs will have the advanced AI, they will can detect things like rocks, trees, bushes, other dinosaurs... Around these. Using that, the dinos can do new animations. For example; the Mesophitecus can detect a tree to do a animation and climb the tree. The Tapejara can detect a sequoia around the Redwood biome and clinging to the trees. Mamuts, Brontos, Trikes, or other dinosaurs like these, can detect trees to iniciate a animation to overthrow trees... etc....

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived