Option to release your dino?

One problem i have had is that when i get attached to a dino and have to part with them, i cannot just release them into the wild.  I either have to

a. kill them (which i never do)

b. unclaim them and give them to someone else and hope they take care of them

c. Set them to wander outside and then panic when they die eventually (doent solve the dino limit)

I think it would be neat to have a release option that makes them not owned by you but they won't harm you either.  Heck they can despawn after a period to i guess.  if they are able to be released, i'd like to know from a distance that they were once tamed by me so i don;t accidently kill them. 

So what have you guys done in the past?

51 minutes ago, Squattingturtle said:

Does that work on official by chance? And does it just teleport them to some sort of storage device on the console or server?

They have said in one of the digests that they are working to separate uploads from downloads so we can always upload creatures and items from an Ark. It basically stores it locally on your computer in a file. You can then download the creature to single player or any server that has downloads enabled. (You can also back the file up, making the creatures uploaded clone-able, which is one of the reasons they disabled downloads on officials...)

So basically I can upload my dinos and save them to a file.  When I want to go to another island, whether restart on The Island or The Center, I will be able to take my dinos with me.

If I go to single player or to a PvP or PvE that is unofficial I can download them, but if official, I can't.

Am I getting that right?  If I rent a server, I can save my dinos and download them there, so I won't lose them. 

Can you store anything in their inventory, so you won't lose the items?

Sounds mostly right.  Not sure what to do about item uploads, pretty sure the dinos don't take their inventory or saddles with them. You do have to do something in the file system (copy/rename I think) to transfer between Island and Center since the latter became a DLC and has it's own folder now....

They used to have upload/download enabled on officials, but someone took advantage of it so they turned it off. It does sound like they want to allow uploads separately without downloads. We're also supposedly getting something in the Tek tier for doing this at other locations besides an obelisk. (Crafted Tribute Terminal or something, it's in the dev kit apparently.)

Archived